Mod. Stock Exhaust

elishatarvin

the size of the tip is never mentioned for the mod i am talking about. as far as any negative effects, only one person said they didnt notice any but i wanted to get alittle more input. i found a motorcycle exhaust shop close by that i am going to go by and get them to give me an estimate

motoneta123

Thanks, I have noticed no issues since doing it. And I love the fact I can now be heard when I'm in traffic!
hello Chaos: now you have been riding a while with your exhaust mod. Did you have any backfiring or need to tune your bike? i'm getting ready to do it, yes i want to be heard in traffic too!
Do you think the lenght of the pipe will change sound or just diameter matters?

Last edited:

motoneta123

So i finally performed the mod! print Chaos pics take them to the muffler shop with a 2 1/2 stainless steel tip from Pep Boys , sounds great! i'll upload a vid soon so you can hear it. Thank you guys for your helpfull posts!

motoneta123

the size of the tip is never mentioned for the mod i am talking about. as far as any negative effects, only one person said they didnt notice any but i wanted to get alittle more input. i found a motorcycle exhaust shop close by that i am going to go by and get them to give me an estimate

They may need to slash cut the pipe to make it fit the muffler, i just ask them to keep the same lenght and angle as the stock pipe was, i had it done 4 days ago, put about 300 miles since and no issues, here is the video:

[ame=http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz6bijp2xd0]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

motoneta123

yes, the guy has a performance muffler shop but anyone will do it, i just pick that place cause it's next door to the motorcycle shop were i change oil. Make sure to get a stainless steel tip to prevent rust. good luck!

elpasofz6r

just had the shop cut the stock tip off and weld in a 2 1/4 inch tip on and sounds great. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDyotznTbm0"]YouTube - yamaha fz6r exhaust mod[/ame] this video shows what i am talking about.

Last edited:

Roaddawg

just had the shop cut the stock tip off and weld in a 2 1/4 inch tip on and sounds great. this video shows what i am talking about.
You had me confused at first. That video is from our member, SmoothPapa. It's posted on the forum...probably near the beginning of this thread.

Ledgini

First of all hello guys, new to the site, stumbled across it whilst searching for XJ6 exhausts and then stumbled across this thread. Having just spent £225 on a scorpion oval slip on for my XJ6 I am extremely dissapointed with the sound. To be honest it sounds exactly the same as the stock. :banghead: This thread has given me hope as I really don't want to spend £1000 on an full aftermarket system as I only want the deep sound. The only problem I have is that in the UK we don't really have muffler shops. I have a guy I reckon may do it at the local repair shop so may give it a go. Am thinking of going with a 3" tip so will have to see how it sounds. If anyone has any pictures of the unfinished mod just with the hole cut out of the box that would be a great help as I will take it to him. I'll let you know how I get on.

By the way, anyone want to buy a scorpion oval slip on? :)

CDN6R

Hello and Welcome to the club! :uk: I can't think of any one here in North America has really seen or tried the slip-on. To me I really do not see the advantage of having one that being said,, this thread is a bit long and I would suggest that you spend some time going through it and I am sure that you will find some pics posted of the modification that you want. I am sure that you can save the pics to your computer,print them off and take the pics to your local repair shop. I wish that here in Canada we could get the XJ6N you guys in the UK are lucky to get bike that we can't get (like the Yammie 125R!) There is lots of info on this site,so sit back have a nice cup of tea/coffee,relax and read. Cheers from Canada. Laurie Potter

Ledgini

Thanks Laurie.

I've found some good pictures and have stored them on my PC. They will be coming with me to see the welder man.

I'm thinking I may just have the mod done and have the pipe connected straight into the scorpion can. I'm looking at all the options at the minute. Worst case I just do the mod and sell the scorpion can on ebay. I work at a motorcycle dealer so got it at a massive discount, I should get my money back on it anyway. Love this site though. Am now checking out all of the cool posts, cup of tea in hand :)

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Well Thanks to FZRBlack for his exhaust I have finally made the first stage of alterations. I found a welder in town who has been in business for over 30 years. I walked around his shop for a while and his work is top notch. He took his time and asked me to make any changes needed but as I said he was so good that all I needed to tell him was what I wanted. Let me tell you this sounds amazing! I'll have a video up later.

And for the reveal!
Looks GREAT!!!

Ledgini

Just as an FYI for others thinking of this, with the work you have done on the exhaust there is no real need to take the whole system off. My welder guy did this mod for me whith the exhaust still on the bike. He just put it on a bench lift and did it all from underneath. It took about 30 minutes start to finish.

I also second that this mod sounds amazing. It sounds like an expensive full sports system and even bubbles under deceleration. Its awesome.

Pictures of mine can be seen on the below thread.

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/getting-exhaust-done-today-21271/

Deputyfarva252

so i want to make sure i understand this 100% your cutting the small pipe off flush with the box and welding a bigger tip to the box thats it nothing more nothing less?

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member