leather vs textile

what do you prefer leather vs textile jackets & denim vs textile pants

• Total voters

roadrat

Just converted to perforated leather... not sure WTF I was thinking but pulled out the credit card and dropped some serious coin on the Dainese Zen Evo Jacket and Dainese Delta Motorcycle Pants. Lots more abrasion and armored protection than my textile stuff, heavier, feels pretty comfy but I'll let you know in a month or so of riding if I made the right decision.

DAINESE Delta Perforated Leather Motorcycle Pants - Street Gear - Cycle Gear

Attachments

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

jon's riding closer to the ground w/ each week. :)

roadrat

Saw this in another forum and thought it was interesting... it's from motoport.com, a company that markets 1000 denier ballistic nylon jackets. Not sure where or how they came up with these figures so I would take it with a grain of salt, but still interesting.

Last edited:

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

See red

Leather jacket leather pants only way to go. I do wear textile over pants for commuting.
Ok mr contradiction........ choose one! lol! You mean to say leather when riding like your on a track? Because we all know riding like your on a track means you would never be one of tose guys who rides around the public streets, mountains or not, like an allstar right???? lol!

I use a gx air jacket from cortech, my wife has an lxr air. but we aren't into the "sport" side of things.

txjames

Elite Member

Bert-Aus

dcBear78 HEy hey rock on! I got the unperforated version,

Yep def prefer leather it's got that funky smell about it that just works

Last edited:

dipple666

Having owned both since I started riding, I’d definitely go for textiles on the commute; I used to do 250 mile slogs twice a week to get home and regretted taking the leathers the first time down.
The leather is much better when you are going out for trip through the twisties as it seems to be more supple.
Having bought my first couple of sets from FleaBay, I had a couple of offs in both. The textile did melt as stated before, but a quick trip to my local bike shop and armour replaced it was as good as new.
The leather barely looked like I had touched it, the bike was a different story as the car that pulled out in front of me suffered a bike through the driver side door. SMIDSY, typical uneducated car driver!
I’d say get the leather than put a few notes away a month and get the leathers on a deal like I have just done.

JimmyC

I have been riding with a ICON Accelerant Perforated leather....I love this jacket very comfortable and with the removable windproof liner it has nice ventillation on the hot summer days. I use this Jacket everyday for commuting....I also ride with the icon Victory riding pants that look like jeans...they are super comfortable....well Thankfully have never tested either in a crash....but I would be curious on how well the pants would hold up.

BoneJj

I have been riding with a ICON Accelerant Perforated leather....I love this jacket very comfortable and with the removable windproof liner it has nice ventillation on the hot summer days. I use this Jacket everyday for commuting....I also ride with the icon Victory riding pants that look like jeans...they are super comfortable....well Thankfully have never tested either in a crash....but I would be curious on how well the pants would hold up.
I like the sound of a perforated leather jacket but so many of them have way too much writing on them. I just want a good perforated leather that is just plain color and not black... lmao. Black in Florida is no good.....

Detrich

Try Cortech or Fieldsheer then. Those usually have minimal writing.

Flipflash

Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

RoadTrip

I prefer the feel and performance of leather while riding, leather grips the tank better and does not flap or buffet in the wind. But, I don't like to sweat in my leathers and get em all nasty, so I switch over to textiles once 90F temps reached. I am not conviced that textile is any cooler than well perforated / vented leater, though, unless you go for full mesh in a size up.

Tight fitting leather with external sliders can help prevent tumbling and getting twisted on an initial high speed ground hit, this extreme torquing of the body is a primary source of spinal trauma.

I like race style gear for the way it looks, not just for safety, I am even willing to be a bit warmer just based on the style alone, but safety is still the primary consideration. Both leather and textile come in race styles, and both can look real sharp if fitted correctly.

buzzbomb

Elite Member