leather vs textile

what do you prefer leather vs textile jackets & denim vs textile pants

• Total voters

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

TokenSSDD

Perforated leather jackets is where it's at. I have a mesh one that I use in the summer but I want a perforated leather one instead.

JSP

Super Moderator
Leather absolutely is going to protect you better and last longer in a crash. That said, I wear mesh textile jacket and textile pants. Just a personal preference with weight, heat, cost, etc.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
anyone else care to elaborate on why they like the textile better?

thanks jay :) you got all the answers dont you? :pP

i like the look feel and what not of the leather, however i like the price, and design of the textile.... i need some more info on the function and what not...whats the best bang for your buck?

The biggest thing with leather is that it can last through a crash. Textile will be pretty much done for after 1.

Bloke

Leather:

Best abrasion resistance
Best splinting effect (keeps broken limbs together)
Looks the nicest
Can now come with goretex waterproofing
Perforation keeps you cool

Textile:

Waterproof (kit worth buying comes with goretex lining)
Best impact resistance (even the extra padding afforded by liners offers a nice cushioning effect)
Often comes with vents and other nice things like masses of pockets.
Most are intended to be worn over normal clothes so suitable for commuting.

No idea why the guy above says textiles are a one shot affair, they're just as durable as leather when it comes down to it, whip out the armour, replace with new. Blam you're back on the road.

Me I'd like a 2 piece leather suit for riding jollies but cost is prohibitive, they're also not practical for commuting.

I own some textile over pants (joe rocket ballistic 5.0) and a textile jacket (Hein Gericke Cruise II GTX).

I also own a pair of textile pants that are intended to be worn with a pair of thermals or nothing, great for riding in the summer, cool and easy to walk around in just not very suitable for work. They look like leather but are textile.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Bloke

check out atlasrider's crash on youtube. He was wearing a one piece textile suit called a roadcrafter.

80mph crash: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwbfUtOPk0o&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Aerostich Roadcrafter Damage after 80 MPH Crash - YouTube[/ame]

Mesh jackets are questionable but a decent textile jacket will have comparable protection to leather for everyday riding.

In my own low speed offs...

wearing normal denim jeans, approx 5mph wheelied bike at lights by accident (high revs, dropped clutch too fast, panic accelerated) while learning to ride and fell straight off the rear - wore through to my boxers. Bruised and grazed my arse.

Wearing textiles, low speed drop after front washing out on a right hand turn, approx 20mph, no appreciable damage to kit, no injury aside from bruised inner thigh as the bike rested on it, got a little dirty but thats it. Bike got a bit banged up (bent levers and cracked fairing).

Anything above that like txjames says I'd be happy to replace kit if required.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

txjames

Elite Member

UselessPickles

Here's a description of a crash I was in, including pics of the damaged bike and riding gear (Joe Rocket textile jacket and pants): Hit & Run Accident - FJRForum

55mph crash with no road rash, but a broken leg (I think the car hit my leg), lots of bruising, and some painful neck and back problems that took over a year of physical therapy to fix up.

IMO, the extra abrasion protection of leather is not necessary for street riding. That extra protection is only helpful at high (racing) speeds. Real world street riding crashes happen at pretty low speeds: "The median pre-crash speed was 29.8 mph, and the median crash speed was 21.5 mph, and the one-in-a-thousand crash speed is approximately 86 mph."

I think textile with armor is plenty of protection for street riding, plus it is more affordable and can be more comfortable. For example, my Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket is a year-round jacket for me. Outer panels zip off to reveal mesh for comfortable summer riding, and a water/wind-proof removable inner liner helps me stay warm into the 30's. Comfort is an important factor, because fatigue can lead to bad judgement and crashes.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Leather is indeed better protection IMO. Some may have offs with textile and not hurt the material but many do. More than leather from what I have seen.

Some things to consider...

Textiles vs Leathers

Don Tai (Canada) Blog » Blog Archive » Does Motorcycle Mesh Gear Melt in a Crash? You would re-use these textiles? (our very own spunky is in this link! :))

And here is an actual test between a leather suit and a textile suit: You would not re-use the textile.

http://www.endurowanderer.de/pdf/kombitest.pdf

Sorry for the non-translation, but the pictures do the talking.

I agree for normal commute riding textile is fine. I wear it. But most of these pics are 60 mph and below. Even the one on the track was tested at 60 mph. Not doggin textile, I love it. But I know leather is better protection. Cannot really argue that. There is trade offs going with either one. My main point is that textile will usually not be able to be re-used after bailing in it. Some cases not though. But more than likely.

Last edited:

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
jay for what its worth i think highly of your opinions, matter of fact i think highly of everyone here....but more than any other mod other member... id probably trust in jay....now with that said... over times table are you saying that it would be more worth my money down the road to just spend the $263 on the leather? or is the $155 textile a bargain for what ill be using it for i commute 3-4 days a week 18 miles one way.... the other days ill be driving between an hour-4 hours.... i need comfort, protection, weather options and most of all reliability... i need my gear to last... im not made of gold XD
I would go with the textile... Like said above, get what you WILL wear and are comfortable in. Textile will last, it is comfortable, great in warm weather and have waterproof liners and thermo liners for cold/rain. They are very versatile. It WILL protect you in a wreck. Just more times than not, it is not able to be worn after a wreck (with the same amount of protection as new). It all depends. But for most people, and what you say you want, Textile would be great. It is great priced stuff. Down the road, in the event of a wreck (God forbid), IF it is unusable after that, it is fairly cheap to replace. If you get out of the wreck without hurting your gear, even better! :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words as well.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Detrich

I started out with a textile jacket too, but I have not looked back since switching over to leather. A correctly sized/ fitted leather garment will hug your body snug, feel comfortable, not bunch up, and still move with you. At 80+ mph on the freeway, this makes a world of a difference. (There's a reason it's like a second skin.)

I absolutely hated how textile would flap around in the wind sometimes and bunch up even. I've seen funny photos of my friends riding around in textile and "ballooning up" into a bubble in the wind... Funny as heck. xP

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

vengeance44

i say there both good just dont get those ones that are leather with mesh combo thats what mine was it held up pretty well other than the leather and mesh seperating from each other and mine was a low speed slide so i have no idea how it would of held up if i was going faster

UselessPickles

I'm not sure what some of you guys are talking about as far as textile having better impact protection, or leather not having vents or liners.
They probably mean to qualify their statements with "in the same price range". A well-ventilated textile jacket with good armor and useful pockets is much more affordable than the same in leather.

If money was not an issue, then the only important differences between textile and leather would be that textile will not be damaged by water, and leather will resist abrasion better (but probably not significant at legal street riding speeds). Yes, leather gear is more likely to be reusable after a crash, but that shouldn't be an important factor for street riding gear.

If money is an issue (like it is for most people), then you can get a better combination of protection, comfort and practicality from a textile jacket. Don't underrate comfort/versatility (ventilation, insulation, etc.), because getting too warm, too cold, and/or wet will cause more fatigue while riding, and fatigue can lead to impaired judgement. Of course, much of the comfort factor depends on the climate of your area and your own personal weather condition limits.