leather vs textile

what do you prefer leather vs textile jackets & denim vs textile pants

• Total voters

KeysRider3

I have a Joe Rocket textile jacket with integrated armor, and a leather A-2 flight jacket with no armor. The textile jacket offers a lot of flexibility with the changing weather conditions of Florida, and more ventilation in the hottest months. Unfortunately, the cold/foul weather liner is non-ventilated PVC so it's like wearing a rainsuit that doesn't breathe. I usually leave it behind and wear polypro underneath the jacket if it's cold and/or wet. The leather jacket provides more warmth (on the rare occasion I need it), breathes, and does a decent job of keeping me dry when I don't want to stop to put on rain gear. However, it doesn't have any armor. So while it may offer more abrasion protection there's nothing for impact. Personally I don't like denim for riding pants because of the heat build-up, particularly over long distances and/or multiple day riding, and tendency to hold moisture. Good ventilation of the butt/crotch is absolutely necessary to avoid serious discomfort, so textile is my choice below the waist.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Bloke

thanks everyone your input is definitely helping me out, i may wait till after christmas to order any gear.... my buddy says its pointless till i get a bike so why dont i wait, i told him i have a credit line for my gear and id rather be ready to ride and be safe off the bat rather than have a bike and no gear.
Gear first, then bike. Too many idiots buy a bike, then moan about the cost of a decent helmet.

For my CBT (learners permit test/training in the uk) I bought a helmet because loaning a school one with the sweat of past students in it turned my stomach.

Before doing any more riding at all and before doing my full licence training, I bought all the kit that was missing, boots, trousers, jacket, gloves.

Then I did my training, and my tests, spent nigh on £1500 (~$2250, I bought nice kit) so far, then I spent a few months getting a deposit together to buy the bike I wanted.

That's the order you should do it in, after all what good is a bike if you can't ride it safely.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

dcBear78

Actually on topic. I wear this perforated leather jacket. M2R Wraith. I beleive it is an Aussie brand though and probably hard for you guys to get?

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

daddyrack

Premium Member

Bloke

My recommendation for what it's worth:

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/cars-motorbikes/2009/01/a-winter-jacket-to-be-seen-in.html

It's the one I have, used it all year round for the last 2 years, removable thermal lining, removable fleece lined storm collar, more vents than you can shake a stick at and armoured shoulders, back, elbows.

Full goretex lining has kept me bone dry in torrential rain and thunderstorms.

mine is the non daylight version so doesn't come with dayglo colours.

But then I'm in the uk so probably a bad recommendation unless you can pick one up from ebay.

Cost £379 new so ~$560 just for a jacket, but you get what you pay for and it's served me well.

Modelled on a lovely summers day by yours truly:

uploadfromtaptalk1324291370021.jpg

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Bloke

In fairness over here in overcast drizzly britain it's probably useful to look like the police, give people a seconds thought before they pull into you, but then I could always wear my hi vis which has "POLITE" written on the back surrounded by the traditional police markings.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Soapartist

sorry its like 4:30am i didnt feel like doing a search before posting a thread.

right now im stuck between the joe rocket radar leather jacket and the icon overlord textile jacket.... other than price im a little confused on what protection both offer and which one is better for what and which one over all is the best buy.... i tried a radar on in a store and really loved the feel it was snug and fit nicely a small wouldnt allow me to layer if i had too so i decided that a medium was probably best it wasnt to bagy and allowed for a little extra room.

any insight in this would be appreciated guys

also textile vs denim riding pants? i like the shift torque riding jeans because they look casual and offer protection while riding but i also like the white icon arc textile pants.
Denim riding jeans... I only have experience with the womens versions... the Shift jeans are VERY thin... but anything is better than just jeans without kevlar... Draggin jeans are thicker denim, and very well constructed.
I just ordered a 2 pc leather suit from Leather Motorcycle Jacket with Armor, Motorcycle Leather Gloves & Armored Suits ... it should be here Tuesday.
I did it as a temporary fix... I just dropped 51 lbs, and have no riding gear that fits LOL... I rode in some overpants the other day, stopped to get gas, I was having to hold my pants up while fueling, so I figured I needed to at least get something that wasn't falling off me.
Some of the guys on this forum have ordered the mens versions of the one piece suits, and I've heard nothing but great reviews so I'm hoping it'll at least keep me going till I am sure I can keep the weight off for more than a year... :D.
If the quality is good, I'll order the perforated suit as well.

BoneJj

I own the Shift jeans, they fit well. I read and saw a video on abrasion resistance. They seem to be really tough.

(Edit) I have the Lock Down Shift Jeans!

Shift Lodown Jeans - webBikeWorld

Personal review from buyer is at the bottom explaining how protective they were in a high-side.
those seem pretty cool....

BoneJj

Okay, here is a question for you guys. I have a screwy foot problem that most of you will never have to even consider. I wear 11 or 11 1/2 6E shoe (can't remember the length, it's worn off but the 6E is the major issue), as in beyond the normal wide and extra wide to pretty much extra extra extra wide.... lol. To be honest I could probably for for like an 8E....

What kind of riding boots come in something like that and have some kind of venting on them? I live in florida so I can't wear non-vented boots anymore.

Right now I have to wear size 12 1/2 because it's the only thing I can find to fit my foot and they are just walmart special steel toe boots that have no venting but are pretty damn sturdy but after even a short ride on my current bike my feet are drenched in sweat and it's not long after that they just stink like a SOB.

I also recently had my left foot operated on so a comfortable boot is rather important to me, maybe something I can put my custom orthotics into, not exactly the thinnest things, lol.

Suggestions please! lol.

KeysRider3

Denim riding jeans... I only have experience with the womens versions... the Shift jeans are VERY thin... but anything is better than just jeans without kevlar... Draggin jeans are thicker denim, and very well constructed.
I just ordered a 2 pc leather suit from Leather Motorcycle Jacket with Armor, Motorcycle Leather Gloves & Armored Suits ... it should be here Tuesday.
I did it as a temporary fix... I just dropped 51 lbs, and have no riding gear that fits LOL... I rode in some overpants the other day, stopped to get gas, I was having to hold my pants up while fueling, so I figured I needed to at least get something that wasn't falling off me.
Some of the guys on this forum have ordered the mens versions of the one piece suits, and I've heard nothing but great reviews so I'm hoping it'll at least keep me going till I am sure I can keep the weight off for more than a year... :D.
If the quality is good, I'll order the perforated suit as well.
Congrats on the weight loss! Keep on ridin' !

KeysRider3

Okay, here is a question for you guys. I have a screwy foot problem that most of you will never have to even consider. I wear 11 or 11 1/2 6E shoe (can't remember the length, it's worn off but the 6E is the major issue), as in beyond the normal wide and extra wide to pretty much extra extra extra wide.... lol. To be honest I could probably for for like an 8E....

What kind of riding boots come in something like that and have some kind of venting on them? I live in florida so I can't wear non-vented boots anymore.

Right now I have to wear size 12 1/2 because it's the only thing I can find to fit my foot and they are just walmart special steel toe boots that have no venting but are pretty damn sturdy but after even a short ride on my current bike my feet are drenched in sweat and it's not long after that they just stink like a SOB.

I also recently had my left foot operated on so a comfortable boot is rather important to me, maybe something I can put my custom orthotics into, not exactly the thinnest things, lol.

Suggestions please! lol.
You can try the SIDI riding shoes (over the ankle boots). I tried a pair of the Slash model shoes, and they were so wide I had to send them back. I wear a size 12 1/2-13 Medium to Wide shoe depending on the construction. The size 13 Slash had enough width to accommodate Donald Duck. Good luck!

KeysRider3

anyone else care to elaborate on why they like the textile better?

thanks jay :) you got all the answers dont you? :pP

i like the look feel and what not of the leather, however i like the price, and design of the textile.... i need some more info on the function and what not...whats the best bang for your buck?
Textiles cost less, and seem to be more weather-tolerant (forgiving?) when you're on a ride and in and out of the rain. If you crash both materials will protect you from road rash but both materials are going to be damaged, and probably to the point that the jacket or pants will have to be replaced. It's like a helmet taking a hard hit. They're not designed for repetitive stress. FYI, re my earlier post on this thread my current textiles are Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 jacket and 3.0 pants.

Last edited: