leather vs textile

what do you prefer leather vs textile jackets & denim vs textile pants

• Total voters

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Fenixgoon

I like the sound of a perforated leather jacket but so many of them have way too much writing on them. I just want a good perforated leather that is just plain color and not black... lmao. Black in Florida is no good.....
i have the teknic mercury jacket and it's pretty damn good! very little writing on it, too.

at the end of the day, it's still a black leather jacket, even if it is perforated, so on hot/humid days it still heats up quite nicely.

just picked up a Speed&Strength Moment of Truth mesh jacket today for summer riding. Will report back later tonight on it!

Fenixgoon

i have the teknic mercury jacket and it's pretty damn good! very little writing on it, too.

at the end of the day, it's still a black leather jacket, even if it is perforated, so on hot/humid days it still heats up quite nicely.

just picked up a Speed&Strength Moment of Truth mesh jacket today for summer riding. Will report back later tonight on it!
just to report back for you guys:

the Moment of Truth flows air like CRAZY compared to my teknic mercury (i guess that's to be expected though with mesh vs. perforated leather). i went out today when it was 85F and pretty humid, and it was perfectly comfortable. you can feel the air move through you even when walking around the house.

as far as protection - the back, shoulders, and back of the forearms are textile, while the rest of the body is mesh for air flow. i was a little concerned about its abrasion resistance (or lack thereof) but not so much anymore. CE-rated pads in the elbows and shoulders, foam pad in the back (i have an icon field armor back protector that i wear with it).\

really pleased with this jacket. it definitely opened up my riding days by quite a bit, since Maryland can get some really nasty combinations of temperature and humidity.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

txjames

Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

SurfJunkie

Textile all the way.

Ive got a Troy Lee Apex Air jacket with rigid CE armor at the elbows, forearms, shoulders, and full spine/back from top to bottom. Its got one of the best zipout liners ive experienced, has an internal pocket, with 2 external hand pockets. Price is nice too.
https://www.troyleedesigns.com/product.php?cat=111&id=2850

A buddy of mine designed/manufactured some textile pants with soft CE armor in the knees, and i got a pair for free. I wear them everyday over my normal jeans/clothes.

I wore these all through this year's CA summer without being overheated.

DerekVinyard

I previously wore leather when it wasn't too hot. There is no argument that leather is better in a slide. I wore a T-shirt in the hot weather.
I purchased a Teknic Super vent Pro mesh jacket this spring. It breathes like nothing else... The mesh is thick, the armour is fantastic. No reason to ever go without protection in the heat again. I would recommend it to anyone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Maadi

Textile is useful in the sense that you can choose high visibility colors. I have not looked at a lot of leather gear (over my price range at the moment) but all I see on the road is black, which is not visible! I was impressed to see a day glow orange harley davidson leather jacket on somebody the other day, that was new...
I have not found my textile jacket to balloon in the wind at all - assuming mine fits correctly? It's Fieldsheer Adventure (Women's) but I don't know if they make them anymore. It is very waterproof (bicep area gets damp in torrential downpour) and has a great liner that actually doubles as a jacket for real, unlike some others that claim so. I have Fieldsheer four seasons pants: top is mesh with knee and hip protection, liner is wind and water proof and very warm. Works great! The only problem with the pants was that the knee pads hit my knees while I was standing - they sat way too high when on the bike. I had to fix the positioning of the pocket by hand. Another thing about Fieldsheer: they make great quality stuff but it fits often 2 sizes smaller than what they say on their size chart.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

txjames

Elite Member

DerekVinyard

Leather does not heat up in a slide like textile. It also cushions better. Good leather can incorporate Kevlar backup linings, soft/hard armour.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

BKP

I've seen the light and have a sedici learher jacket now for street use which I picked up on sale at cycle gear. Excellent jacket and great price and I feel like my skin stands a chance. I also wear Kevlar reinforced jeans.
Have to admit, while I wear textile mesh >70 degrees, I also bought a Cyclegear Sedici "Nero" jacket for 50-70 degrees, and it's fabulous... I feel *much* more protected, and with the perf arms, it can go a pretty wide range of temps. In fact, it's *so* comfortable, I'm looking at the Street and Steel "Big Bore" for the winter... (I've got waaaay too many jackets... in fact, anyone want a brand new Icon Contra (size large, in slate)? Make an offer... it's been worn twice *total* -- make an offer).

VRIIClubby

But seriously... as Lep asked... any real-world experience crashing w/ textile? Did it hold up enough to keep your skin from being cheese grated?
Yes, and yes!

I had the unfortunate experience of crashing mine 7 days into ownership!

All depends on the road you eventually go down on aswell, the one I went down on was a coarse blue stone road, so each stone was around the size of a very sharp and pointy quarter. (going off youtube vid's roads are massively different all round the place!)

I was wearing an IXON Seismic Sport jacket, dririder gloves, kevlar jeans with CE armour and A* SMX-5 WP boots,

@ 55kmh (34mph) The Jacket was completley ripped from the lower stomach to the top of my chest, both knees ripped through the denim and on the right leg the denim had ripped down to my boots, the knee pads and kevlar intact, boots had worn one toe down slightly, gloves had a few stitches burst in the palms and that was that.

I didnt have any scratches or bruises (besides my ego) luckily, So I guess the gear worked no matter how it looks in the end.

Im insured so all my gear was replaced, I changed my jacket to one that had the highest count cordura that I could find, replaced the same jeans, same boots and changed my gloves to A* GP-Pro's.

As im new to riding, my thoughts are that the textile jackets are great for commuting due to their versatility, probably better for touring for the same reasons, and wear the leather when you are going out on those weekend rides.

I'll be getting a leather jacket (perforated) within the next 12 months for those occassions.