Harbor Freight Rear wheel stand

dolfan

I bought both of these from harbor freight. Alumunium one is for rear only, either with paddle adapter or spool adapter. The black steel tube one is with front for adapter or can be used with rear also. Both with optional adapter cost less than $110.00. They are very sturdy. Here is some pics of them. I hope it helps.:)

05/22/2010
After reading the rest of this strand, I found the paddles do not work properly with the aluminum ones. Which means I can't remove rear tire when using the spool adapter. I have since returned the aluminum one and shopping for a new dual use stand.

Attachments

Last edited:

Roaddawg

I bought both of these from harbor freight. Alumunium one is for rear only, either with paddle adapter or spool adapter. The black steel tube one is with front for adapter or can be used with rear also. Both with optional adapter cost less than $110.00. They are very sturdy. Here is some pics of them. I hope it helps.:)
If you would have read the http://www.600cc.org/forum/f13/stands-17431/ thread, you would have seen that the small aluminum stand doesn't fit....it's too low. A few have already bought this and found out it doesn't work.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dolfan

Aluminum HF stand works for me Roadhawg. How ever I do have evotech 7170 rear spools and I had not used the paddles before. After checking up on this I do agree paddles are useless for this particular one.:eek:

KenS

Too bad the Harbor Freight staff was completely useless in my area. They had four of these rear stands sitting on the floor (after they told me they didn't have any). All four of them were missing the swingarm "arms" so they were totally useless. The manager said they don't come with them even though I showed him their own website ... he shrugged and said "I don't know". I ended up purchasing a PitBull rear stand and, although more expensive, it is definitely a big step above the HF stands from what I can see.

FitZ6R

just curious; how do you jack the back of the bike up to put it on the stand? Where is the jack point on a bike typically?
The stand lifts the bike through simple leverage. No separate jacking is needed.

Vid of the process here:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otGoZDphxJ8"]YouTube- Harbor Freight Rear stand With swing arm attachments[/ame]

[Edit: new video link showing use of a stand without spools]

Last edited:

Spunky99

I looked at a Honda CBR 600RR today and there is a welded tube on the swingarm just for the spools.
Where do you mount the spools on the Yamaha FZ6R?
I felt all over the swingarm but didn't find any mounts, holes, Etc.
:surrender:

micigniter

I looked at a Honda CBR 600RR today and there is a welded tube on the swingarm just for the spools.
Where do you mount the spools on the Yamaha FZ6R?
I felt all over the swingarm but didn't find any mounts, holes, Etc.
:surrender:

i think you have to drill and tap em' yourself if you'd like them.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Spunky99

I'm not tapping anything but my.. NVM.. I use a stand that has padded angle brackets that swivel.. It is purposely made for swing arms like what is on our bikes, flat. The swing arms like what you see on the newer SS race bikes need the spools as the "normal" stands will not work on them.
I was concerned that tapping the swing arm might cause a structural weakness issue that would eventually cause my A$$ to pucker at 80 mph in a corner.

I think I'll keep the drilling limited to non load bearing or structural frame parts....:thumbup:

Roaddawg

I think it was on the other Stands thread that a couple people here put on spools. They are on little brackets that mount just below the rear axle bolts. The problem with them is you can't remove the rear tire with those spools.

husker525

Thank you to all who posted valuable information pertaining to the Harbor Freight swingarm stand. I went to my local store and found it to be on sale for $21.00. I purchased the front fork adapter kit for an additional $8.00. I brought it home, tried it on both front and back and have nothing but good things to say about it. I wouldn't get crazy working on it with it on the front, but it held up to everything I would need to do, short of trying to straighten the front forks or something crazy like that.

JonKerr

Elite Member

pyrocpu

Yup, I was one of those who didn't read carefully, bought the HF aluminum stand + paddle adapters. Whoo Nelly, took half an hour to get the paddles dislodged to get my bike back down! Not counting the fact that the paddles were bent after one use! Spools might work, but as has been mentioned before, that doesn't help with the adjustment of the chain or anything.

Having said that, instead of the fork adapter, I was thinking of getting this Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand, since it's $25 before the usual 20% off coupon from HF:

Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand

Has anyone used this yet?

calltrex

I got a stand from the dealer for $50 today. Forget what brand but it good quality and has the L attachments and the spool attachments.

much easier to change oil and clean chain today

Attachments

TOMIK

Yup, I was one of those who didn't read carefully, bought the HF aluminum stand + paddle adapters. Whoo Nelly, took half an hour to get the paddles dislodged to get my bike back down! Not counting the fact that the paddles were bent after one use! Spools might work, but as has been mentioned before, that doesn't help with the adjustment of the chain or anything.

Having said that, instead of the fork adapter, I was thinking of getting this Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning Stand, since it's $25 before the usual 20% off coupon from HF:

I'm heading to local HF this weekend since they have a big sale fo fathers day, I might get that wheel cleaning deal.:iconbeer:

Bison39

I was also curious about this Wheel Cleaning Stand. I was going to order the HF Swingarm Stand (note: I'm in Canada, so I have to add shipping and duty charges) but I came across one of these stands at a local store for $30. Anyone used one yet?

Bison39

So I ended up buying one of those Cleaning Stands on the way home yesterday. I used it to clean and lube my chain and to answer my own question, it does work but probably not as well as the rear stand would. The rear wheel can be rotated but the weight of the motorcycle is still on the wheel so it requires a bit of effort. Oh well, better than nothing.

pyrocpu

So you put it on the rear wheel, with the front wheel on the ground, yea?

I was wondering if this cleaning stand would be good if the rear of the bike was up on the HF swingarm stand, then the front wheel was on this Cleaning Stand... I was concerned about stability...