Harbor Freight Rear wheel stand

DanielW0830

micigniter

i got the harbor freight one per recommendation of this site...cheap, sturdy, strong. does the job well, i can even use it myself. gets a thumbs up from me. just used it yest to clean and lube my chain! It also has replaceable grippers to convert it to a front stand as well.

Last edited:

Newmason

Have one as well, and see no other reason you should spend anymore than 20 30 bucks for a rear stand. Harbor freight is the way to go. Just duct tape the ends as the rubber comes off to easy

nlpyle

I love that stand so much I bought two. One for my bike and one for my wife's ninja 500. Works awesome for both bikes. Most stands are around 100 dollars. This was 40 dollars and another 10 will make it front and rear stand. I have put the bikes up on the stands and sat on the bikes. no issues what so ever. Best bang for your buck.

MikeN02

I love that stand so much I bought two. One for my bike and one for my wife's ninja 500. Works awesome for both bikes. Most stands are around 100 dollars. This was 40 dollars and another 10 will make it front and rear stand. I have put the bikes up on the stands and sat on the bikes. no issues what so ever. Best bang for your buck.
Correct me if I'm wrong (Ninja 500 was my first bike) but doesn't it have a center stand?

nlpyle

it does but my wife has a muzzy exhaust on it, which in order to put that on the center stand had to come off. Oh and the Muzzy exhaust sounds SWEEEET on her bike. But yes, you are right the 500 comes stock with a center stand.

Spunky99

Do you have to order the stand online or is it something they carry in store?

DanielW0830

Because I've never used a stand, is it possible to remove a wheel to fix a flat with one?
Or do I need the swing arm attachments?

Dan.
I used to have a Ninja 250. The centerstand was great to have.

MikeN02

Some carry it in their stores, some members have picked it up from their local Harbor Freight but I called my local one and they didn't have it so I had to order it online.

Because I've never used a stand, is it possible to remove a wheel to fix a flat with one?
Or do I need the swing arm attachments?

Dan.
I used to have a Ninja 250. The centerstand was great to have.
It is possible I imagine, but it would be really hard to do. I would save all the trouble and just spend $40 on the stand, it helps a lot in the long end. I used to go without it, cleaning my chain by moving the bike every time and that took almost an hour and a half. Now with the stand it just takes about 15 minutes or less.

Oil changes, you need the bike to be leveled, and also tire changes you can easily get the rear wheel out and align it because it's off the ground.

Our bike doesn't have slots for the spools which are also called swing arm attachments so the stand has to be for the swing arm itself, otherwise you can drill and tap spools on there.

micigniter

If your close to their location, id almost guarantee they would have one in stock, I live in los angeles, and it shipped from inside their location in california and arrived within 3 days, so i assume its in stock.

Spunky99

cool,

I'll check with the store that is next door to the CycleGear in Lomita.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

ArkAngel06

That harbor freight stand has horrible rubber padding on the swing arm rests. The very first time I used it, the rubber started to peel off.

If you get that one, expect to have to replace the rubber with something immediately. I used a few furniture feet felt pads.

arkkornkid

haven't had the problem with the rubber coating yet. but has anyone tried the Plasti Dip spray as a fix?

just curious, if/when it happens to me I'll give it a shot.

bmw675

Have you used the front fork adapter yet? Just curious, I was planning on getting it, but want to see how well others like it. Thought I saw someone say it wasn't real stable, but worked.
i used the front fork adapters ONCE. i did not trust them, even with a second pair of hands to help me. but +1 for the harbor freight stand for use on the rear.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

+1
Haven't had an issue with rear use... just gotta get it pretty far forward if you want to spin the rear wheel.
I found over time, getting that "rubber coating" a little greasy after a couple of uses and the bike can be pushed as needed once up on the stand.... can be bad if you go to let it down and it's slid to far forward (if you haven't done the FE yet...)
ive been lifting mine up right about where the swingarm bends in. and you are right, i still hit the license plate with the FE (wasn't being careful).

Halon

just curious; how do you jack the back of the bike up to put it on the stand? Where is the jack point on a bike typically?