Harbor Freight Rear wheel stand

Bison39

Yeah rear wheel was on the rollers, front wheel was on the ground with the steering all the way to the left. I also put a 2 x 4 wood block under the sidestand because it was leaning over a fair bit and would actually shift off of the stand as you rotated the wheels. With the block under the sidestand the rear wheel stayed in the center of the stand and seemed fairly stable to me.

kevcoop

Picking up my stand this weekend. Thanks for all the input in this thread, it helped me make my decision.

stevet

HF steel stand on sale this week under $30

Went to the Harbor freight and they had the steel stand on sale for under $30. I tried the aluminum but it does not work on the FZ6R. Put a piece of 2x4 and a 1"piece of wood under the kickstand and everything aligns very easily.
Steve

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Stephenfz6r

I use small automobile jack stands. Easy to use and and rated at 3000 lbs each so no worry about them collapsing.

M

mas4489

picked one up myself recently for about $30 as well, makes it real nice to work on the bike when its straight and not leaning

went into my local shop and they had one for $50, looked like it was 2 pieces that came together in the middle, was not very sturdy at all

bjs045

Went to the Harbor freight and they had the steel stand on sale for under $30. I tried the aluminum but it does not work on the FZ6R. Put a piece of 2x4 and a 1"piece of wood under the kickstand and everything aligns very easily.
Steve
Old Websters dictionary worked perfect for me! :D

rjsantana20

I have a Harbor Freight near me and picked one up last week for about $33. Not bad considering other more expensive ones on other sites plus shipping. I used it like a child at christmas to see how it would hold the bike. No complaints.

Chucker

Do you guys know where I can get that stand In Canada?
It looks like if you call Harbor Freights toll-free number, they can ship it to you in Canada.

You can also try Royal Distributing in Ontario. They'll ship to you.

2010 Spring/Fall

bigguybbr

Have you used the front fork adapter yet? Just curious, I was planning on getting it, but want to see how well others like it. Thought I saw someone say it wasn't real stable, but worked.
Just be careful that you only use the front fork adapters while the rear wheel is already up in a rear stand. You should never use a front fork stand by itself, it's too unstable. It's right in the instructions in the package for the front fork adapters for harbor freight stands.

I have a pair of them and they do work well together. got them from my local store with one of the coupons out of the back of cycle world.

DocFZ

Because I've never used a stand, is it possible to remove a wheel to fix a flat with one?
Or do I need the swing arm attachments?

Dan.
I used to have a Ninja 250. The centerstand was great to have.
Hey dan, it is possible. Ive pulled mine multiple times to do sprocket changes. I put mine on the kickstand and put a jack under the stock exhaust can and jack it up a couple pumps and it stays steady on the jack and kickstand enough to pull the rear wheel off. And its completely sturdy. Hope this helps

Derek

NoDoze

Someone mentioned the Evotech spools earlier.

This is how they look on our bike's swing arm.

bigguybbr

Hey dan, it is possible. Ive pulled mine multiple times to do sprocket changes. I put mine on the kickstand and put a jack under the stock exhaust can and jack it up a couple pumps and it stays steady on the jack and kickstand enough to pull the rear wheel off. And its completely sturdy. Hope this helps

Derek
I really wouldn't recommend jacking the bike up at the muffler. It's not designed to bear weight, and isn't the most stable way to get the rear wheel off the ground. If you do, you run the risk of damaging your exhaust, or tipping the bike over.

For the cost, I would think it is better to spend the $29.59 (normally $36.99 - 20% discount) from harbor freight and get a rear wheel stand that won't tip over or damage your bike.

Here's the coupon to get the 20% off. It's good till 4/14/11.

Attachments

McJosh

got the harbor freight one today and it is awesome. Never thought of getting one but it's very useful, easy to use and to store.

bigguybbr

Definitely helps with regular maintenance. As you can see I'm half way through doing my wheel stripes. Have to scrub the front wheels clean before I do them, but having the stand makes this job a ton easier.

Attachments