Gotta have it - Daytona 675

geko

Went in to the Yamaha dealer today, mainly for a cuppa to warm up after a spirited mornings riding on the XJ6. Saw a Triumph Daytona 675 in the show room so I took it for a test ride - OMG :eek: I couldn't stop grinning :):):):)

Awsome bike, fuel warning light came on after 10 miles so I had to make my way back to the dealers otherwise I'd have been out all afternoon.

Going back tomorrow to buy it.

Pete

gearhead

That's a sweet bike! My next bike will be a TRiumph ST. Have fun!

Y

yellowfz

Yeah was looking at a Street Triple R before I got the FZ , man it was awesome , powerful and fun , but I lurked on their forum for a while and after seeing some of the problems I decided to go with the FZ .

creggur

Yeah was looking at a Street Triple R before I got the FZ , man it was awesome , powerful and fun , but I lurked on their forum for a while and after seeing some of the problems I decided to go with the FZ .
I'm looking at the Ducati Multistrada 1200 and Triumph Tiger 1050 as a long-distance Sport-Touring replacement for the VFR. Can't pull the trigger just yet because of the reliability and solid build of the Honda....

European bikes are waaaay better quality-wise than they were just a few years ago, but still, you've got to understand what you're getting into up-front with a Euro-built bike...

Superzoom

Hi YellowFZ,

What problems did you read about with the Street Triple? I considered it very seriously as well. The $3000 lower price on an FZ6R sealed my decision after I read all the FZ6R reviews.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

geko

I'm going to keep the XJ6, it's still a great all round bike, good fun, fine for longer journeys and commuting.

Just that I've always wanted the sports bike so the Daytona will be for a bit of fun, I've always liked the look of it and after todays ride I'm in love, the exhaust sound when I opened it up put a grin right across my face, the riding position is full on though;)

Soon as I got back on the XJ6 it really brought home what a great all round bike the XJ6 is.

Pete

JonKerr

Elite Member

bmw675

Hi YellowFZ,

What problems did you read about with the Street Triple? I considered it very seriously as well. The $3000 lower price on an FZ6R sealed my decision after I read all the FZ6R reviews.
ive been eyeballing daytonas for the last few months. ive seen alot of people have had issues with the regulator/rectifier, leaving people stranded on the side of the road. some with less than 100 miles on them.

owldaddy

ive been eyeballing daytonas for the last few months. ive seen alot of people have had issues with the regulator/rectifier, leaving people stranded on the side of the road. some with less than 100 miles on them.
Are they Lucas electrics, and have they improved over the years. I only know that Lucas was called the "Prince of Darkness" because they had reliability issues in the long distant past. A moniker that may still be haunting them undeservedly.

stevet

When I worked on Triumphs a long time ago the quality was honestly terrible compared to any of their Japanese counterparts. The Triumphs, BSA's, and Nortons had mechanical and electrical probelms not to mention oil leaks that couldn't be fixed. The Japanese bikes were not only fast but really reliable with far fewer repairs. That was quite a while ago. I'd definitely check on their reliability, repair records and parts availability before considering a British bike even today. We also worked on Harleys but I won't go there.

Y

yellowfz

Hi YellowFZ,

Don't remember all the stuff but the jest was the timing chain had some issues and engine would leak or burn oil , burn mainly , and some wiring problems (wire chafing) , so I looked here and on the Kawa forums , nothing to mention like there was on the Triumph forum .
Like someone else said , you have to realize what you are buying when you buy European , parts and service are only available in 55 (Triumph Motorcycles - Dealer Locator) locations in the US .
Cool bikes (107 hp , 675cc) but , scary when it comes to dealerships .

Last edited by a moderator:

geko

Deal done.

Went back to the dealers today and bought a new 2009 Daytona 675 SE with 675GBP of free extras. Pick it up next month.

Hopefully won't have any issues with it but the dealer is just up the road and the Triumph factory 30 miles away so should be able to get it sorted even if I do :)

Triumph Motorcycles - Daytona 675

Pete

JonKerr

Elite Member

geko

I'm guessing nobody else looked at your location when they were saying how bad support can be here in the States for British bikes. :eek: Congrats on the new baby. Did you get the white and blue?
Yes, it's the 2009 SE with the pearlescent white paint and blue frame. I'd had my heart set on the Tornado red but when I saw them side by side in the showroom the SE just looked way better. It's all bought and paid for but I need to wait until next month so I have a years no-claims on my insurance so it's still sitting in the dealers at the moment - going to be the longest month of my life I reckon:mad:

Y

yellowfz

I guess I am on the wrong forum . This is a Yamaha forum right , not Triumph ?
Glad you got a new ride and when it starts having problems remember , TOLD YOU SO !
And yes we saw he was in UK , the question was directed as to what was read about a certain bike here in the states , not there .

Last edited by a moderator:

Superzoom

Congrats, Geko.

I think the Daytona has the one thing that the FZ6R really needs: an engine with character. I know that comment will draw a lot of ire, but it's true. The FZ6R is just too friendly to inspire passion. Having said that, the FZ6R is a great bike. It suits my needs better than your beautiful Daytona.

Can't your insurance company pro-rate the first month for you? Just wondering.

Roaddawg

Congrats, Geko.

I think the Daytona has the one thing that the FZ6R really needs: an engine with character. I know that comment will draw a lot of ire, but it's true. The FZ6R is just too friendly to inspire passion. Having said that, the FZ6R is a great bike. It suits my needs better than your beautiful Daytona.

Can't your insurance company pro-rate the first month for you? Just wondering.
I didn't buy it for character, I bought it for reliability.

geko

I guess I am on the wrong forum . This is a Yamaha forum right , not Triumph ?
Glad you got a new ride and when it starts having problems remember , TOLD YOU SO !
And yes we saw he was in UK , the question was directed as to what was read about a certain bike here in the states , not there .
Well I'm keeping the XJ6 as well so if it does give trouble I'll just jump back on the Yam :)

Spunky99

Well I'm keeping the XJ6 as well so if it does give trouble I'll just jump back on the Yam :)
I've heard nothing but wonderful comments on the way the Triumph handles especially on the Mulholland "Snake".
The shorter wheelbase combined with the rake and trail make this an ideal bike for fun. That and it has lots of power....I used to own a 1968 BSA 650 Lightning and I had to check the torque on the bolts on the running gear fairly often as preventative maintenance. It isn't a bike to just drive every day and do minimum maintenance on. It requires a bit more rider inspection and interaction.
I worked on one where the bolt that holds the rear cowl frame assembly almost came out of the main frame assembly. The nut somehow got wedged in and we were able to fish it out and tighten the bolt back and fixed the problem. I'd check torque and do general "high" maintenance on any "British" bike. It's just the nature of the beast. lamborghini and Ferrari also require more maintenance than an F150 Ford truck.
Enjoy the bike and know you have a real thoroughbred between your legs.