Fuel and warm up

jgangoo

1, Does anyone warm up their bike? I didnt see that instruction in the owners manual. My car doesnt need to. I am doing it for a minute but just wondering if I am wasting my time as it is not mentioned in the books.

2, What fuel you feed? 91, 95 or 98 premium? the book says can go with 91 and the workshop guy told me 95. I am going with 91 anyway. I am not going to ride this for next 10 years so 91 is fine as it says in the book. I also read an article saying unless the bike/car engine is specifically designed to use high octane petrol then usign a high octane for normal engine wont help dramatically.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

herbie

dont worry about to much warm up time just dont walk on it till temp gets up to display a temp then your good

Detrich

1. I usually allow my bike to get to 155* before I take off...

2. 91 octane always...

k6gad

It's regular 87 octane for me. Usually I start up the bike then put my gear on. As soon as I am ready I hop on and go. Usually take it real easy leaving the neighborhood and by the time I am out the gate the bike is warmed up.

Sage

I always use 91 or 93 octane and it depends on the day if I warm the bike up or not, when I do i let it go until 100*

redwing-2001

1, Does anyone warm up their bike? I didnt see that instruction in the owners manual. My car doesnt need to. I am doing it for a minute but just wondering if I am wasting my time as it is not mentioned in the books.

2, What fuel you feed? 91, 95 or 98 premium? the book says can go with 91 and the workshop guy told me 95. I am going with 91 anyway. I am not going to ride this for next 10 years so 91 is fine as it says in the book. I also read an article saying unless the bike/car engine is specifically designed to use high octane petrol then usign a high octane for normal engine wont help dramatically.
lots of discussion about which octane to use. Manufacturer recommends 87 in U.S. Recently, I have read several articles from reliable magazines to also use fuel without ethenol. Ethenol has some adverse effects on motorcycles (eats rubber, etc.). I started doing that recently, it is a little pricey, but I am getting a bit better gas mileage and some peace of mind.
Uh-oh, after re-reading my reply, this should spur some comments.:popcorn:

ajskillz13

Dealer instructed me to warm up to 140 before every ride and run it on premium.

His comparison on the warm-up was due to the revs being so much higher than a car. He said starting normally without warming up the engine on a bike is like starting up a a car cold and just mashing it to 60.

I know regular is probably fine, but why not run premium when you're getting 50 mpg??? $10 = 150 miles... I wish I could ride enough for that to sound expensive.

iSpoolin

No matter what your in, or on, you should allow a warm up.

I don't move my car until it is at 160 Degree Coolant Temp and at least 85 Degree Oil Temp. Hence I drive a performance car and I want it to perform at its best, but even in my 1994 Suzuki Swift that is my DD I allow it to warm up for about 3-5 Minutes before I leave the driveway. The bike I let get to at least 130 Degree Coolant Temp.

As far as fuel, my car is tuned for 93 Octane+Methanol so I obviously only use 93 Octane along with a methanol mixture that is inserted through my trunk, in ANY performance machine you should use the highest octane gasolline available to you. Including bikes. As far as not using High octane fuel in a non performance car is a myth, Higher Octane = Higher Combustion = Less gunk left in the cylinders.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

6R Blackout

I myself use high octane fuel, but I have two places I fill up at that have no ethanol. Ethanol also attracts moisture and if you don't ride your bike frequently it will cause the gasoline to attract more moisture which in turn will do major damage to fuel injection and carburators. I know a few people this has happend to and it cost them $150-$250, to fix. So in conclusion if you can use no ethanol fuel use it, as far as what to put as far as octane that is up to you.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Rookasaki

1. I always warm up the bike. I normally wait until the bike displays a temp number.... In my opinion, the bike really lacks power when she's cold.
2. 91 Octane

Fogride

I run reg. And I don't warm it up. I blip the throttle a few times to get the idle to settle down and ride away. I don't flog it but I don't baby it either. I don't see to many bikes warming up much on the starting line or in the pits except for the tires. A water cooled Fuel inj. Computer controlled motor needs very little warm up. Mine runs better and faster in the winter than 100 degree summer days.

Spunky99

I won't get into the fuel issue....LOL

I do wait until a temp is displayed on the gauge instead of LO and then I baby it until it is 155 and then run it normal/conservative but I don't hit it really hard until at least 180F.