Belt driven FZ6R

K

kevlarian

I've seen one once, but didn't look too closely at it. I'm just amazed with the step backwards Yamaha seemed to take with this bike, then turning around and calling it an "R".

(not knocking the bike so much as I'm knocking Yamaha)
Check out this months issue of Cycle World. They did a review of the FZ6R; Synopsys. Great Bike! Pleanty of punch, great handling. Placed it above the Kawi ER-6, which is saying a lot... that bike has been getting a ton of press time/praise.

I would like to read a head to head comparison between the FZ6R adn the GSX650F. That sounds like a good comparison.

04fizzer

Like I said, I'm not knocking the bike. I just think it's dumb for Yamaha to label it an "R" while it has DECREASED performance from the original FZ6.

L

Layne5150

The Buell Blast is a blast on the side streets if your running to the store for a soda or some beer but don't take her up on the freeway very far. It's pretty quick for what it is and it sounds cool with a Vance and Hines exhaust on it. It vibrates alot at stop lights but thats why they call big singles thumpers.
Two things about this bike is it governs out if you try to wind it up to much going through the gears and you bottom out going over speed bumps in parking lots. It doesn't have much of a friction zone on the clutch either. Takes a little getting used to. I think they use a transmission from an 883 cause it is huge. It's bigger than the engine.
But it handles like a bicycle. Seriously. You can flick it back and forth with ease and slide your back tire to a stop and laugh. No bunny hops though. Not yet.
People stop and look at me when I'm on this little bike. I'm 5 foot 9 and 200 pounds and the Buell looks like a moped with gears and sounds like a Harley Davidson.

karim18

Chain just seems like a lot of maintenance to clean, lube and adjust tension every 500 miles. And without a rear stand I heard and seen it is a pain in the butt to do.
Thoughts on this, my bike had a chain slack adjustment at 1500 miles, I'm now sitting at 3100 miles and my chain slack is still in spec. Proper cleaning/lube regiment helps avoid bigger projects.

latony007

im at about 5000 miles and i have not had the chain adjusted, unless they did it on that 600 mile break in service. I have cleaned and lubed it many times but not had it adjusted. when i brought it in to have the battery replaced the guy said it was a little slack and could use a bit of tightening up but i have not attempted it yet. Seems like when ever i try this crap something goes wrong cause i basically suck mechanically lol.

Superzoom

The great thing for lazy people like me is, it's better to have a slightly slack chain than a slightly tight chain (although it's obviously best to have a perfectly adjusted chain).

JSP

Super Moderator
im at about 5000 miles and i have not had the chain adjusted, unless they did it on that 600 mile break in service. I have cleaned and lubed it many times but not had it adjusted. when i brought it in to have the battery replaced the guy said it was a little slack and could use a bit of tightening up but i have not attempted it yet. Seems like when ever i try this crap something goes wrong cause i basically suck mechanically lol.
You should really adjust it or have someone do it for you... At least measure it to see what your slack is..

If the chain gets loose enough, it can slip off of the sprocket and lock your wheel up causing a very bad wreck.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZWjwHgveY"]Loose Chain Highside Crash - Mulholland - YouTube[/ame]

latony007

You should really adjust it or have someone do it for you... At least measure it to see what your slack is..

If the chain gets loose enough, it can slip off of the sprocket and lock your wheel up causing a very bad wreck.

Loose Chain Highside Crash - Mulholland - YouTube
thanks, i did have the dealer check it out when they were warranty replacing the battery and he said it was slightly loose but wasnt going to jump off or anything. I want to try it myself i just know something will go wrong.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Read the manual, it is a simple 6 step process.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

latony007

IT's really not hard to do, I've done it many times.
Read the manual, it is a simple 6 step process.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
Alright im going to give it a try when it finally makes it below say 90 around here. However if i strip the axle bolt or break some nut, or my own nut lol. I will come looking for you guys! :)

Slick

From watching bike builds on TV, I think it would require a wider swing arm (to compensate for the width of the belt) as well as a wider primary drive, for the same reason. I like the idea of a belt drive, the reasons of adjustment and cleanliness are two proponents, but I don't think it very practical for our chosen bike.

latony007

From watching bike builds on TV, I think it would require a wider swing arm (to compensate for the width of the belt) as well as a wider primary drive, for the same reason. I like the idea of a belt drive, the reasons of adjustment and cleanliness are two proponents, but I don't think it very practical for our chosen bike.
i have shaft drive on my cruiser, supposed to be the least maintenance. The can am spyder big fast three wheelers are belt drive. I wonder if the torque of a sport bike might be too much for the belt thats why they use chains? just a thought

Asako

i have shaft drive on my cruiser, supposed to be the least maintenance. The can am spyder big fast three wheelers are belt drive. I wonder if the torque of a sport bike might be too much for the belt thats why they use chains? just a thought
Chains are more efficient with delivering power to the wheel. Belts can handle plenty of torque but they also have trade offs. Even EBR has switched to chains on their new models.

FastFreddy

Thoughts on this, my bike had a chain slack adjustment at 1500 miles, I'm now sitting at 3100 miles and my chain slack is still in spec. Proper cleaning/lube regiment helps avoid bigger projects.
Yes definitely, I found that with regular cleaning at least once a month (every week if you are motivated), then you don't need to adjust your chain. I only had to adjust it once after break-in, then every time I changed tyres, then it would get adjusted for me. I was at one point cleaning once a week and everytime after I rode in the rain, this is the correct way.

buzzbomb

Elite Member