Belt driven FZ6R

Just a thought. Is there anyway to take a chain driven sport bike and convert it to a belt driven sportbike? Just wondering if anyone ever got this done or seen it done. Thanks!

Just doing research on both. Belts are safer than chains just in case they break while riding.

fz6recon

ah...see I myself am a rookie so just soaking in the wealth of knowledge around here...good luck with the research...I like how the chains can come in different colors...just don;t know if belts come with that option as well...

L

Layne5150

I have a Fz6 and my wife has a Buell Blast.

I clean them both.

We ride them to work. Me 25 miles. Her 10.

My chain driven bike has a dirty rim, fender, swing arm, brakes, etc. Everything is a mess back there after 500 miles.

Her belt driven buell is still clean after 500 miles.

FZ6 yeah I'm a noob to bikes and just doing a lot of research on them. I completed the BRC but I'm still nervous about getting on my FZ6R for the first time on 1 June.

I have a Fz6 and my wife has a Buell Blast.

I clean them both.

We ride them to work. Me 25 miles. Her 10.

My chain driven bike has a dirty rim, fender, swing arm, brakes, etc. Everything is a mess back there after 500 miles.

Her belt driven buell is still clean after 500 miles.
WOW great info man. I might just pick up a belt driven bike soon, just to have an extra ride.

fz6rwolf

I've never had belt. This is my 1st chain since my childhood xr175, every other had been shaft drive which was great in maintenance (there was none) but shaft always had a lag from throttle to go which chain doesn't. I've read on another forum someone trying to fit another bike from chain to belt and was having a real hard time of it getting things to line up. Would be interesting though if could be done.

Chain just seems like a lot of maintenance to clean, lube and adjust tension every 500 miles. And without a rear stand I heard and seen it is a pain in the butt to do.

D

dean owens

that blast is a fun little bike. i took the riders edge course and those are the bikes they used. i hope one day my wife wants to ride so i can get "her" a small bike that i can ride around town... i mean that she can learn on. a blast or a ninja 250 would be so much fun around town.

that blast is a fun little bike. i took the riders edge course and those are the bikes they used. i hope one day my wife wants to ride so i can get "her" a small bike that i can ride around town... i mean that she can learn on. a blast or a ninja 250 would be so much fun around town.
Man I was thinking the same thing. I'm looking for a bike now for my wife to learn and ride but also for me to give it some road time.

S

scottsst

Chain just seems like a lot of maintenance to clean, lube and adjust tension every 500 miles. And without a rear stand I heard and seen it is a pain in the butt to do.
I will speak for myself and say that I have 11000 miles on my FZ6 and have never had to adjust my chain tension . if you keep your chain properly lubed and cleaned you would be very surprised how you will not have to do it so often . the only time it gets check it but the service guys at my yamaha shop and when I get new tires so about every 7000 miles is when my chain gets adjusted . I do check it when I lube it but rarely to I mess with it

I will speak for myself and say that I have 11000 miles on my FZ6 and have never had to adjust my chain tension . if you keep your chain properly lubed and cleaned you would be very surprised how you will not have to do it so often . the only time it gets check it but the service guys at my yamaha shop and when I get new tires so about every 7000 miles is when my chain gets adjusted . I do check it when I lube it but rarely to I mess with it
Thanks man good info. I'm a noob and the FZ6R is my first bike. So I want to know everything about maintaining it as I plan on keeping it forever. And just add more bikes to my garage soon.

D

dean owens

my only bike before this one was a shaft driven bike. i was worried about the chain up keep. but i can tell you it's not a big deal. a scrub brush and some kerosene and it takes maybe 15 minutes to clean the chain. i also put some kerosene in a squirt bottle to be able to give some concentrated hits at places. once it's clean it takes no time to hit it with some chain lube. i really like the du pont teflon multi use lube.

i've now done 1000 miles on my bike since having it. first 500 i did the full cleaning. all together it took 20 min. i'm sure it'll take less as i do it more. after the next 500 the chain still looked pretty clean, but i wanted to give it a little spray. i came back from my 500 miles of riding, put it on the center stand, got my lube, spun the back tire with my left hand as i hit the chain with my right hand. maybe 2 minutes tops. gave it a few minutes, wiped off the excess and parked it. no biggie.

i think i'll lube it every 500 and clean it every 1000 (unless i run into rain).

now if you don't have a center stand it won't be as easy. i would either look into getting one or getting one of those "jacks" for the back wheel. it will make your life so much easier.

C

cv_rider

My first bike was a Blast, and did about 3k miles on it before upgrading to FZ6. It was fun, but had it limitations, one of which that it wasn't designed to last more than 20k miles and mine had 35k when I sold it and was in the shop more than out. But as to the belt - I liked that. No maintenance/cleaning. I guess sportbikes all have chains because belts maybe eat some power in stretching or something. Even though cleaning the chain is no big deal, I'd still rather have a belt. I wouldn't miss a little power.

thepod

Belts have no driveline lash and are significantly lighter than chains. They actually transfer power better because of this. The zero maintenance is a big plus. Buell got it right and has been using them for years. The only reason sportbikes use chains is that you can change gear ratios much easier.

You will see more bikes use these in these future, they are just better. Check out the BWM F800 ST - belt driven. The Germans have come to their senses.

Belts have no driveline lash and are significantly lighter than chains. They actually transfer power better because of this. The zero maintenance is a big plus. Buell got it right and has been using them for years. The only reason sportbikes use chains is that you can change gear ratios much easier.

You will see more bikes use these in these future, they are just better. Check out the BWM F800 ST - belt driven. The Germans have come to their senses.
Hey I checked out that Beemer and it is bad ass. Might just have to pick it up later on.

08fz6

as far as chain mess. I use maxima chain wax... no mess..... If you have a mess then you are either using just regular lube... lubing way too often... or using way too much!!! You are only supposed to lube once every 800 miles or so.... Only mess on my wheels, swingarm etc is brake dust and regular dust. You don't lube a chain before you ride you do it when you get home.. If the chain is hot it will suck it right up!:thumbup: And as far as adjusting the chain i adjusted mine when it was new after the initial stretch and haven't had to since I am just under 6000 miles right now....

as far as chain mess. I use maxima chain wax... no mess..... If you have a mess then you are either using just regular lube... lubing way too often... or using way too much!!! You are only supposed to lube once every 800 miles or so.... Only mess on my wheels, swingarm etc is brake dust and regular dust. You don't lube a chain before you ride you do it when you get home.. If the chain is hot it will suck it right up!:thumbup: And as far as adjusting the chain i adjusted mine when it was new after the initial stretch and haven't had to since I am just under 6000 miles right now....
Well the owners manual says clean and lube it every 600 miles. I'm a noob so is lube and wax the same thing. And it says to use kerosene to clean it best.