Belt driven FZ6R

K

kevlarian

Why can't they make a new front and back "sproket" that has teeth compatible with a belt? I don't see why it can't be done. I tihnk it is a great idea. I was watching OCC on Discovery once, and they did JUST THAT with one of their custom builds. They started with a belt drive and decided to change to a chain drive to be "old skool".

We can put a man on the moon... i am sure they can make a belt drive option for most (if not all bikes).

Jusy my opinion.

Why can't they make a new front and back "sproket" that has teeth compatible with a belt? I don't see why it can't be done. I tihnk it is a great idea. I was watching OCC on Discovery once, and they did JUST THAT with one of their custom builds. They started with a belt drive and decided to change to a chain drive to be "old skool".

We can put a man on the moon... i am sure they can make a belt drive option for most (if not all bikes).

Jusy my opinion.
Yeah I know. There are a few sportbikes out there with belts. I don't know why they aren't making it standard.

fz6r rider

The biking community isnt ready for it yey many people don't even know you can get a nelt driven bike. being in the marketing industry I can see why they dont make this option simply bc it isnt profitable for them to do so. not only will the company have to r&d they will have develope a belt that sets them apart otherwise everything will be the same and they will have no competitive edge. as for cleaning and lubing your chain wd40 once a month and lube every 800 miles. the wd40 cleans and helps fight rust build up and the lube well it lubes haha

MNDZA

I just read that WD40 is really bad for the chain and you're saying to use it.....who's right????? Oh well...either way I use motorcycle chain lube.

fz6r rider

wd40 is bad for the chain if you spray it and let it sit you need to ride for about 30 minutes get the chain nice and hit and then a quick spray with the bike on a stand and its fine if you let it sit its badand Im only saying to use it bc i dont have a garage just a cover and the chain still tends to get wet tyhe wd40 melts the rust off i lube atleast once a month as i put about 14-1600 a month on the bike

K

kevlarian

I just read that WD40 is really bad for the chain and you're saying to use it.....who's right????? Oh well...either way I use motorcycle chain lube.
Ah, yes! The ever popular "WD-40 Chain Cleaner Debate"...

WebBikeWorld has MANY good write-ups.
WebBikeWorld said:
It's really too bad that WD-40 isn't recommended for chain cleaning, because it does work pretty good. Maybe too good... The Motul (made in France) and Motorex (made in Switzerland) chain cleaner sprays are both recommended for cleaning O- and X-ring chains.
Motorcycle Chain Lube - webBikeWorld
Cleaning a Motorcycle Chain - webBikeWorld

fz6r rider

Puled this off the fz1 forum

WD-40 is a multi-purpose light lubricating oil. The WD-40 will definitely displace and remove the water or moisture from the chain. The "WD" stands for water displacement. It will also act as a rust preventative on any of the metal surfaces. WD-40 will not "dry out" the rubber o-rings. We have found no visible effects on surfaces of rubber, and o-rings. Certain types of rubber will swell under prolonged immersion in WD-40 (this refers to long soaking, and not just a spray).

WD-40 is also a cleaner, it will remove grime, dirt, tape, bumper stickers, and oil. It is possible that if there was a special lubricant in the o-rings, the WD-40 could act as a cleaner and remove that oil. The special lubricant would be replaced with WD-40, which is a light lubricating oil. I'm sure there are more superior, heavy duty (and costly) chain lubes on the market. There are a lot of people that recommend using WD-40 on their chains. Perhaps some experimenting with WD-40 as a water remover and rust preventative, followed by a heavier chain lube, would fit your needs. The bottom line is WD-40 will not harm your o-rings, but it could remove a lubricant previously applied to the chain.

fz6r rider

I think I'll stick with my routine

K

kevlarian

Ok, one more... then I am shutting up.

This guy on YouTube shows a little chain maint in action! You have to hear his quote about the WD-40 debate. Priceless! :rockon:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRBkRKDlMtA]YouTube - Motorcycle Chain Maintenance[/ame]

fz6r rider

hahaha priceless "f*** em I've been using it for 18 years" I do the exact same that he does. works like a charm

K

kevlarian

OK... Seriously... last post on this topic.

If you continue to read the LONG thread on the FZ1 forum (link posted a few messages back) you'll get to page 4 which has a letter from Tsubaki (Moto Chain Mfgr). You can read a letter from a Mfgr re: WD-40

WD-40 reply - Page 4 - FZ1OA Message Board

K

kevlarian

OK, this is REALLY REALLY the last post...

This is a QUOTE from the RK USA site (RK Excel Chains)
Q How should I maintain my O-ring chain?

A. Doing routine maintenance on any chain is a crucial step to getting the maximum wearlife out of your chain. You should clean and check its adjustment every 400 miles (sooner if the chain gets excessively dirty). Use formulated O-ring chain cleaner or other similar product to keep dirt from building up around link plates and rollers. Don’t use a wire brush or pressure washer. If your chain comes in contact with water, be sure to use a moisture displacement (like WD40). Lubing an O-Ring chain is vital for maximum wearlife. All RK O-Ring chains are injected at the factory with a lifetime supply of internal lubricant. The purpose of an O-Ring lube is to keep the chain from rusting and the O-rings from drying out. Use a lubricant specifically designed for O-Ring Chains.
Welcome to RK Excel America - FAQ

D

dean owens

read on and you see a quote from someone of the same company that says not to use wd40.

fz6r rider

What came first the chicken or the egg??? another topic we could argue for years. I'm going to stick with my little can of WD. bc it works for me

MNDZA

Awesome video thanks!

MNDZA

The FZ6R doesn't have a center stand?

That's sucky.
I don't think it's even possible for this kind of bike. Have you seen it?

04fizzer

I don't think it's even possible for this kind of bike. Have you seen it?
I've seen one once, but didn't look too closely at it. I'm just amazed with the step backwards Yamaha seemed to take with this bike, then turning around and calling it an "R".

(not knocking the bike so much as I'm knocking Yamaha)

MNDZA

I think a step backward in performance is exactly what was needed. This is my first bike and a lot of first time buyers are getting the FZ6R because it's so easy to learn on. I heard that Yamaha has been very successful so far with this bike....great business decision.