Bell RS-1 Helmet

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Spunky99

That looks very similar to the Scorpion EXO 700 Helmet in both features and styling including the aerodynamics.

I didn't see the optional under chin flap that keeps out the cold. I couldn't find one for the EXO 700 Predator I have either.

ajskillz13

Amen, amen, amen! Love my Bell Vortex!!! This will definitely be my step up unless there's a new line by then.

arkkornkid

That looks very similar to the Scorpion EXO 700 Helmet in both features and styling including the aerodynamics.

I didn't see the optional under chin flap that keeps out the cold. I couldn't find one for the EXO 700 Predator I have either.
I use the chin curtain from my Shoei 1000 on my Scorpion, works very well. Takes a little time to make it fit the first time but I've had no fitment issues after taking it off and on several times since.

I just ordered a matte black Bell Revolver helmet the other day, should arrive on Monday. I'll be sure to review it after a few rides. Found it on a one-day sale for $92 shipped, so for that price I figured I had to give a modular helmet a shot:

Last edited:

MikeN02

Great review Jon Kerr. Pretty much what I thought as well with Bell selling cheap Wal-Mart helmets. But now they've stepped up their game, I'm looking at the Bell Star series as well.

I believe Bell has rivaled the popular Shoei RF series as well just not as well known.

I can't remember where but I've seen some Bell Stars going for $250!

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

Bell Star Helmets for $250 are the old series helmets. Not the new ones. Like I said above, they're completely different helmets. So don't be fooled. Not that the older ones are terrible helmets, but they're just not the ultra high quality of the new ones. There's a reason the new ones are $600+ and not $250.
Which ones are the new ones? Or which year?

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

I believe it's the 2010 and newer. These are the new Star helmets. Sportbike Track Gear seem to be having a HUGE sale on them ($350 is an incredible deal on that helmet) and if I were you, I'd jump on this deal NOW if you like any of the styles they have on sale. I can't seem to find anyone who has the old ones still.
Helmet design looks about the same. 09 and 10's. with the vents and shell.

Reason why they're selling them cheap is because they're almost 2 years old and you should typically replace your helmets every 5 years.

JonKerr

Elite Member

motoguy82

I love my 09 bell star. I have a narrower head than most, and I didn't have to modify it at all. Plus I only paid $199 for it...works for me.

BTW, great review on the RS-1 JK

Last edited:

Vulpine

Youtube has a review of this helmet with a rider on our bike. Search under "Bell RS-1 Helmet First Look with Herrin at RevZilla.com" You guys have sold me on this helmetl Thanks!

Detrich

really nice write-up... SBTG also raved about this particular model.

how does the Bell helmet shape compare to other brands- ie HJC, Arai, AGV?

it appears rs-1's are on close out on every web store... so, i'm getting tempted. <lol> not that i need another lid... ok time to sell some more stuff. out with the old in with the new. x_X

Last edited:

BoneJj

I have an RS-1 myself and I like it as it's the only helmet I've been able to find that actually fits my dome, I have an XXL.

The main problem I have with it though is the wind noise that I get from the under side. If I squish my head down to my shoulders I get next to no wind noise. I'm thinking of making some kind of a fabric neck curtain for it that will snap in once I get it on, maybe that will get rid of the noise, it's rather annoying though....

JonKerr

Elite Member

swatguy

I own the Shattered version of the RS-1

I will compare it to my Speed and Strength SS1000 and My HJC IS -16

The RS1 to me just as John Kerr stated fits tight. To me its much more like a true race helmet. I am a large in the HJC IS-16 and if fits perfectly all around on me for sure. After trying in the Large RS-1 I thought maybe bumping to the XL, but I have a narrow chin jaw line and the XL was just a bit loose. The RS-1 is super super soft on the inside. I don't know what they use but man its like fluff and goes on smooth. The padding inside is a bit more "stiff" than both the HJC IS 16 and the Speed and Strength SS1000. Especially in the chin jaw area.

It's much more quiet than my HJC IS-16 on the highway. (I wear plugs tho so not really an issue on the 16). I also removed my shield tab on the IS 16 and that took a way the small whistle. It is also a bit more quiet than my Speed and Strength SS1000.

The venting works awesome. It flows perfectly. Way more than the IS-16. However the Speed and Strength I feel still flows air a bit more than the RS-1. There is a nice wide open 3rd vent in the SS1000 and the rear exhaust is much bigger than the RS-1's with three huge vents on the rear. However the down side is that this makes the SS1000 a bit louder (again tho not noticeable as I wear plugs 90% of the time).

The RS-1 and the SS1000 both like speeds a bit more than the HJC. The overall shape of these helmets indicate why, especially when you are tucked over. My HJC can start to wiggle just a bit from turbulence at the higher speeds where the Bell and SS1000 hold tight.

Overall I use the IS still for the flip down shield on my commutes as I go in at dark and can ride home anywhere from dawn to pure sun depending how late I stay at work. Before I picked up the RS-1 I really loved the SS1000 for trips and riding especially in the heat. However the Bell RS-1 has taken the duties from that helmet for my sport/adventure rides. My local dealer had them on clearance for 249.00 so that's how I ended up with the Bell. I said I was done after buying the Speed and Strength, but apparently I have an illness for deals. I am still thinking I will choose my SS1000 on those super hot days over the RS-1 as it just flows a bit more air.

I think the RS-1 offers the features of the $600 helmets at a fraction of the cost for us street riders, but I think its overall tighter cheek area fit may be its demise as a universal go to helmet. The HJC and Speed and Strength will fit a more varietys of head shapes comfortably I think.

And the best reason to own a Bell.......The Photochromatic Transition shield. I haven't popped the 120.00 for it just yet as I was saving for a new bike(which I just bought), but def going to do that. That will make the HJC toast:D

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

Thanks so much for the info guys.

I also wear an HJC IS-16 size XS, and it fits me perfectly- ie like it's glued on & extremely comfortable.

Bell & HJC have identical size charts, tho I do feel the IS-16 might be 1/4 larger than normal HJC helmets.

SwatGuy's advice seems to suggest that i stay with size XS... But, Jon's advice would suggest going up to a size S...

Now, I'm even more unsure of which size to get. =/. Any ideas? <lol>

ajskillz13

I am just torn on whether I should just get the victory graphic like Jon and save $150 or wait for the 2012 graphics to come out.

(Edit: I would imagine this will be in the next few weeks. I heard that product shows were this month. I think I'll wait and see. After seeing the quality of my wife's new Arai, I'm sold on stepping up from my Vortex now. It was a great helmet for $125, but I am seeing the differences now.)

Here's another option though. Sportbike Track Gear has this exclusive graphic that is really sharp. I was wanting to get a white, red, black theme on my bike, but there's nothing wrong with showing a little pride for the ol' U.S.A, right!?... ha

Last edited: