Bell RS-1 Helmet

swatguy

Det,

I would size up for the normal person from the HJC. I have a very narrow jaw line. My large RS-1 is on the extra snug side as I felt I didn't get the cheek contact I wanted so sacrificed a little snugness for some netter contact.

Alex6

Unfortunately the RS-1 shape is much narrower than the shape of the RF-1000. The RS-1 was my target to replace the RF-1000 that I currently have, but after trying it on I had to return it back to the store. The size L was incorrectly labeled as 58-59cm, but the newer helmets are coming with L=59-60cm. Note: the label changed, the inner shell did not. I spoke to Bell folks - Bell Stars, RS-1 and Vortex are all have the same narrowish shape. That is bad news for me, but could be blessing to anyone with a narrow-oval shape head. It seems like only Arai has a full line of helmets for a different head shapes from narrow to round. The Bell transitional shield was the major selling point for me. I'd just have to pray that Shoei will offer it some day, or Bell comes with a different head shape.

BoneJj

Unfortunately the RS-1 shape is much narrower than the shape of the RF-1000. The RS-1 was my target to replace the RF-1000 that I currently have, but after trying it on I had to return it back to the store. The size L was incorrectly labeled as 58-59cm, but the newer helmets are coming with L=59-60cm. Note: the label changed, the inner shell did not. I spoke to Bell folks - Bell Stars, RS-1 and Vortex are all have the same narrowish shape. That is bad news for me, but could be blessing to anyone with a narrow-oval shape head. It seems like only Arai has a full line of helmets for a different head shapes from narrow to round. The Bell transitional shield was the major selling point for me. I'd just have to pray that Shoei will offer it some day, or Bell comes with a different head shape.
lol, that's exactly why I have an RS1 and not a rf1100, lol. I needed the narrowness of the rs1, I could wobble my head inside the rf1100 too much.

also, the vortex I had to return because it was too round for me....

Alex6

lol, that's exactly why I have an RS1 and not a rf1100, lol. I needed the narrowness of the rs1, I could wobble my head inside the rf1100 too much.

also, the vortex I had to return because it was too round for me....
Did you try the next size down for RF-1100?
Are you saying that Vortex of the same size felt 'rounder' than the RS-1? That is not what I was told by ppl from Bell.:confused:

BoneJj

Did you try the next size down for RF-1100?
Are you saying that Vortex of the same size felt 'rounder' than the RS-1? That is not what I was told by ppl from Bell.:confused:
Yeah, I tried a couple different sizes of the rf1100, it just moved too much on my head side to side.

And yeah, the vortex was just too round for me, it's close to the rs1 but just a slightly more round shape to it, enough that it wasn't a fit for me. I was probably ever so slightly more round than the rf1100. I had an xl and it was digging into my forehead and back of my head while I had room on each side of the helmet. I had to go to an XXL in the rs1 because it is meant to have a tighter fit but it worked out perfectly because with going up a size it's just tight enough that chewing gum would make me bite my cheeks but not too tight to give me any hot spots. I also like to wear skullys so that I don't have to wash the liners as much and with wearing a thin one of those it make the crown just nice and snug, I feel much better about it general with the fit of the crown and the rest of it.

I just need to get ride of the wind noise from the underside of the helmet now.

Alex6

Yeah, I tried a couple different sizes of the rf1100, it just moved too much on my head side to side.

And yeah, the vortex was just too round for me, it's close to the rs1 but just a slightly more round shape to it, enough that it wasn't a fit for me. I was probably ever so slightly more round than the rf1100. I had an xl and it was digging into my forehead and back of my head while I had room on each side of the helmet. I had to go to an XXL in the rs1 because it is meant to have a tighter fit but it worked out perfectly because with going up a size it's just tight enough that chewing gum would make me bite my cheeks but not too tight to give me any hot spots. I also like to wear skullys so that I don't have to wash the liners as much and with wearing a thin one of those it make the crown just nice and snug, I feel much better about it general with the fit of the crown and the rest of it.

I just need to get ride of the wind noise from the underside of the helmet now.
Thanks for the reply.
And get the ear plugs to save your hearing. No helmet will ever protect you as they would. Google tinnitus.

BoneJj

Thanks for the reply.
And get the ear plugs to save your hearing. No helmet will ever protect you as they would. Google tinnitus.
lmao, I've had tinnitus since I was in the military......

Too late for that one.....

Detrich

I did more research online regarding fitment... Webriders.com classifies the shape of the Bell RS-1 helmet as a SN = Slightly Narrow. It falls into the same fitment category as the Scorpion EXO-700 & 1000, which didn't seem to fit me as well as HJC... =( The HJC helmets (IS-16 and CL-16) are classified as a SR = Slightly Round. And, they do seem to fit me well, as do Arai- tho for Arai I have to go up to a size Small... The AGV GP-Tech I believe is N = Neutral.

So I'm going to have to think about this I guess. I really love the look and want the transition shield too.

But if it don't fit I must acquit... I'll let u guys know what I decide. Maybe if a reseller will do a refund on a closeout then I'll try it out. Gosh. Tough call...

Alex6

I did more research online regarding fitment... Webriders.com classifies the shape of the Bell RS-1 helmet as a SN = Slightly Narrow. It falls into the same fitment category as the Scorpion EXO-700 & 1000, which didn't seem to fit me as well as HJC... =( The HJC helmets (IS-16 and CL-16) are classified as a SR = Slightly Round. And, they do seem to fit me well, as do Arai- tho for Arai I have to go up to a size Small... The AGV GP-Tech I believe is N = Neutral.

So I'm going to have to think about this I guess. I really love the look and want the transition shield too.

But if it don't fit I must acquit... I'll let u guys know what I decide. Maybe if a reseller will do a refund on a closeout then I'll try it out. Gosh. Tough call...
I'm in the same boat: the RS-1's main attraction was the transition shield. It seems like the RF-1100 is narrower (according to webbikeworld.com) that its predicessor RF-1000.
I've ordered the closeout RS-1 from SBTG and was able to return for a refund (-$ shipping back cost, -$10 whatever charge).

Edit: ... Webriders.com classifies the shape of the Bell RS-1 helmet as a SN = Slightly Narrow. ...
Could you please post exact link to this site? Thnx

Last edited:

Detrich

Alex6

^ Alex: Here you go...

Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

Oddly, Revzilla and SBTG both claim that the RS-1 is "true to size" but in a "race" fit- ie very snug all around.
Thanks! It is the same site I was also getting the info from.
Well, their claim that "... the RS-1 is "true to size" but in a "race" fit- ie very snug all around ..." - could be still valid, but only for the "right" head shape.
In my case the 'very snug' fit was only near my temples. :(

Detrich

i c... so u gave up on the RS-1 altogether because of the shape or? i remember when i test-fitted the Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet that it wasn't bad, per say. just the oval shape meant that even in an XS, it just didn't feel like my head was 100 wrapped- more like 95%. HJC in XS fully wrapped around and became "one" with my head tho- like it was "glued" on. (the Arai feels that way too but in size S.) looking back for my AGV i kinda wished I had gotten in XS instead of S- since i have gotten used to super tight fitment. but, at the time, they only had S. i might sell the S and get an XS if i can find it on sale somewhere... the other thing too is that Scorpion and AGV both seem to make "bigger" helmets for the same sizing. what i mean is that side-by-side those helmets are just bigger all-around.

Alex6

i c... so u gave up on the RS-1 altogether because of the shape or? i remember when i test-fitted the Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet that it wasn't bad, per say. just the oval shape meant that even in an XS, it just didn't feel like my head was 100 wrapped- more like 95%. HJC in XS fully wrapped around and became "one" with my head tho- like it was "glued" on. (the Arai feels that way too but in size S.) looking back for my AGV i kinda wished I had gotten in XS instead of S- since i have gotten used to super tight fitment. but, at the time, they only had S. i might sell the S and get an XS if i can find it on sale somewhere... the other thing too is that Scorpion and AGV both seem to make "bigger" helmets for the same sizing. what i mean is that side-by-side those helmets are just bigger all-around.
It looks like I don't much choice but give up on RS-1.:surrender: I could buy a size up to resolve the pressure points on the sides of my head like JonKerr did, but that would create too much space in front and back of my head and would get me in the largest outer shell size.
My current helmet is RF-1000 and it is so comfortable, I could sleep in it. Looking at the webbikeworld site - the RS-1 and RF-1000 are on the opposite sides of the head shape chart.

BoneJj

It looks like I don't much choice but give up on RS-1.:surrender: I could buy a size up to resolve the pressure points on the sides of my head like JonKerr did, but that would create too much space in front and back of my head and would get me in the largest outer shell size.
My current helmet is RF-1000 and it is so comfortable, I could sleep in it. Looking at the webbikeworld site - the RS-1 and RF-1000 are on the opposite sides of the head shape chart.
I think you should check out the Shoei RF1100, It will more than likely be the right fit for you. It's a little more round than the bell. and it has a ton of padding as well that you help to conform. It just couldn't conform enough to my melon, lmao!

I would have loved to of been able to fit into a rf1100 as it is a very comfortable helmet, their padding in that helmet is just far better than any other helmets I have looked at.....

Alex6

I think you should check out the Shoei RF1100, It will more than likely be the right fit for you. It's a little more round than the bell. and it has a ton of padding as well that you help to conform. It just couldn't conform enough to my melon, lmao!

I would have loved to of been able to fit into a rf1100 as it is a very comfortable helmet, their padding in that helmet is just far better than any other helmets I have looked at.....
I agree, Shoei and Arai are 'heads & shoulders' above the rest in the comfort and protection :)
If only they'd offer the transition shield and anti-fog treatment...

BoneJj

I agree, Shoei and Arai are 'heads & shoulders' above the rest in the comfort and protection :)
If only they'd offer the transition shield and anti-fog treatment...
I'm nt that big on either of those options. The anti-fog I think is no good personally. I had to use a wet rag on my shield every day for a week just to get rid of the haze, and even still I have to do it every other ride now. The anti fog coating is more of a pain in the butt than anything. I've had regular shields for a long time and never had an issue as long as I kept them clean. The anti-fog stuff gets a haze to it that makes seeing through the shield a bit blurry to me. It's just another coating that you have to look through and because of it's nature it will give a haze. I must have spent the first hour with the helmet getting as much of that crap off as possible.

The transition shield would be kind of nice but it's not a deal breaker for me. I just put on shades underneath and I'm good to go. I much more prefer the use of polarized glasses over the transition shields. polarized glasses get rid of glares and all kinds of other stuff out there and help to make certain wave length of color pop better. Until they come out with a polarized shield I don't care..... lol.

JonKerr

Elite Member

ajskillz13

For anyone wondering. There will be new graphics out for the RS-1 in a couple of weeks. Bell confirmed this on their facebook wall. My local dealer mentioned he could hook me up once they get back from the dealer show next weekend.

Detrich

i thought that the new, 2012 graphic is already out. and, it's called RS-1 CATACLYSM.

it's $120 more than the close-out price of the Victory ($280)

am i mistaken?

Bell RS-1 Cataclysm Helmets - Competition Accessories

that said, i think i'm going to try getting the victory in a small... i couldn't find the $280 price at dealers that have it though.

Last edited: