Bell RS-1 Helmet

Detrich

i don't quite get this one... :lol: they are against changing cheek pad thickess?

Quoting the Arai rep: "Your don't have brains in your face".

Alex6

i don't quite get this one... :lol: they are against changing cheek pad thickess?
No, not against changing them. They should be your LAST concern AFTER you find a perfect match of the inner hard shell to your cranium. That is why Arai produce helmets for 3 (Three!) major head shapes.

sammy56

They are not even close. The proof is my head and webbikeworld.
Sorry, I completely forgot that your opinion was the correct one.

Detrich

Oh I c... Yah, I agree... But a lotta manufacturers actually all produce 3 shell shapes- ie AGV, Arai, Bell, etc.

It breaks down to something like this approximately when sizing. Each group constitutes 1 shell size.

For example:
Smallest & Small share the same shell size. Medium & Large share one shell size. And Large & Largest would share a shell size.

The breakdown isn't identical for each manufacturer, but the concept is similar. Some may group XXS/XS/SM/MD as one shell size and group LG/XL as one shell size and group XXL/XXXL as one shell size. It all depends if they offer XXS or XXXL in a particular line.

Shell Size | Pad Size
===================
Smallest. [Thicker]
Small. [Standard]
----------------------------------
Medium. [Thicker]
Large. [Standard]
-----------------------------------
Larger. [Thicker]
Largest. [Standard]

So u (1) first find the proper shell size and then (2) adjust cheek pad size -if- so desired, I guess. Some ppl are ok with a snug fit. I just happen to like "extra" snug fit. So am going to up the pads 5mm...

Hope this helps explain my train of thought...

No, not against changing them. They should be your LAST concern AFTER you find a perfect match of the inner hard shell to your cranium. That is why Arai produce helmets for 3 (Three!) major head shapes.

Last edited:

Alex6

Oh I c... Yah, I agree... But a lotta manufacturers actually all produce 3 shell shapes- ie AGV, Arai, Bell, etc.

It breaks down to something like this approximately when sizing. Each group constitutes 1 shell size.

For example:
Smallest & Small share the same shell size. Medium & Large share one shell size. And Large & Largest would share a shell size.

The breakdown isn't identical for each manufacturer, but the concept is similar. Some may group XXS/XS/SM/MD as one shell size and group LG/XL as one shell size and group XXL/XXXL as one shell size. It all depends if they offer XXS or XXXL in a particular line.

Shell Size | Pad Size
===================
Smallest. [Thicker]
Small. [Standard]
----------------------------------
Medium. [Thicker]
Large. [Standard]
-----------------------------------
Larger. [Thicker]
Largest. [Standard]

So u (1) first find the proper shell size and then (2) adjust cheek pad size -if- so desired, I guess. Some ppl are ok with a snug fit. I just happen to like "extra" snug fit. So am going to up the pads 5mm...

Hope this helps explain my train of thought...
Detrich, I was talking about the inner shell shape (Oval, Round, Intermediate Oval). So, as an example: a helmet size L(59-60cm) Oval would not fit well someone with the Round head.

And talking about the external shell sizes - Shoei has 5!

Detrich

Welps...

I tried the thicker pads and A-B 'd it against my HJC IS-16... And, although the Bell fits fine, it's just not as comfortable as I'd like. And, I already know that I'll end up reaching for the IS-16 every time... (Damn that helmet has ruined me for all other helmets.)

So, I guess I'm going to just pay the restock fee and send the Bell back. I really wanted to love this and gave it a shot. Sigh. :(

Last edited:

Alex6

Welps...

I tried the thicker pads and A-B 'd it against my HJC IS-16... And, although the Bell fits fine, it's just not as comfortable as I'd like. And, I already know that I'll end up reaching for the IS-16 every time... (Damn that helmet has ruined me for all other helmets.)

So, I guess I'm going to just pay the restock fee and send the Bell back. I really wanted to love this and gave it a shot. Sigh. :(
Welcome to the club of the Bell rejects.
Warning: Do not try Arai RX-Q if you're not ready to spend big $$$. I did and nothing comes close in comfort and fit like RX-Q, and that right from the box!
Actually, there is nothing special about the Bell helmets except the transitional shield. Quality for RS-1 is a step below from my 6 y.o. Shoei RF-1000.

Detrich

i'm going to see if i can get a slightly tighter fit on my AGV GP-Tech Rossi Continents by either going down a size or getting bigger cheek pads. i hardly ever wear that helmet, as i bought it more to just look at it... hahahahaha x_X (i know, nuts.)

but, if i do find that a smaller size fits me tighter and makes me want to wear it more, then i'll sell my current one at an unbeatable discount. it's still in like-new condition. :)