Bell RS-1 Helmet

ajskillz13

i thought that the new, 2012 graphic is already out. and, it's called RS-1 CATACLYSM.

it's $120 more than the close-out price of the Victory ($280)

am i mistaken?
See attachment. They refreshed the red & blue graphics for late 2011. There will be a new lineup for 2012. If you look around, you'll also notice the Panic Zone and Shattered graphics are already getting put on sale.

Attachments

Detrich

got the helmet in the mail today, and it looks awesome... but...

HOLY BATMAN it is WAY THE FCK TOO SMALL- even after I ordered one size up! :(

it was absolutely pulling-teeth painful trying to put it on and take off. there is definitely some weirdo vice-like protrusion pinching torture device in the area of the cheek pads, because other helmets that i've tried that were too small NEVER felt like it was ripping my face off. this one really DOES... ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch... x_X

this tells me that (a) their size chart is totally shit, and (b) there's a distinct possibility that this helmet simply may not fit well at all, given the shapes of some ppl's heads... :(

i'm going to do an exchange and see if 2 sizes up- ie Medium- fits me... i hope it does, because this is really a nice lid... really nice...

:fingers crossed:

Alex6

got the helmet in the mail today, and it looks awesome... but...

HOLY BATMAN it is WAY THE FCK TOO SMALL- even after I ordered one size up! :(

it was absolutely pulling-teeth painful trying to put it on and take off. there is definitely some weirdo vice-like protrusion pinching torture device in the area of the cheek pads, because other helmets that i've tried that were too small NEVER felt like it was ripping my face off. this one really DOES... ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch... x_X

this tells me that (a) their size chart is totally shit, and (b) there's a distinct possibility that this helmet simply may not fit well at all, given the shapes of some ppl's heads... :(

i'm going to do an exchange and see if 2 sizes up- ie Medium- fits me... i hope it does, because this is really a nice lid... really nice...

:fingers crossed:
Good Luck man! Hope you'll get it. Or ask your wife to slam you over the head with a piece of 2x4 a few times.
On a serious note - Arai suggest trying the helmet without the cheek pads - most helmets have them come in various thickness. It's the fit around the crown of your head you should concentrate about.

ajskillz13

Last edited:

bmw675

I'm feeling the RS-1 Stellar in Red!!! I actually like the Vortex Attack Red the best, but I already have a Vortex that's in great shape. :zombie:
i actually like the black beauty. luckily i just picked up an rf-1100 last week or i would have spent quite a bit more to get this one.

ajskillz13

i actually like the black beauty. luckily i just picked up an rf-1100 last week or i would have spent quite a bit more to get this one.
I have to agree... my wife actually liked that one enough to say "go ahead your brain is worth it."

Still hard to stomach paying $250 more than an RS-1... but the carbon might be worth it. From the looks of what is being closed out, I think they are shifting the Star line to be all carbon fiber and letting the RS-1 take the rest. 4 out of 5 new designs are carbon and they are closing out some of the graphics with both options.

Thought about the Star Cerwinske on SBTG for $350... only issue is that they are probably a run made in 2010 and already have almost two years of life on them. I plan on keeping this next helmet a while and I don't want it getting outdated.

Detrich

Not feeling the Stellar at all... But, I do like the Victory and the Cataclysm . I hope Medium fits me. -__-

Detrich

ok, the Bell RS-1 Victory size M came in finally, and i could actually get it on my noggen without the massive pain of my ears pealing off like acid burning like with the size S... i'm still not 100% sure about the fit though, so maybe you guys who own it already can give some feedback on the fitment? overall, it fits properly, but i have a few observations...

when i put it on initially, i can feel the top & sides of my head pushing into the shell of the helmet, and it feels snug. the pads grip well and i would say it's a comfortably snug fit. i then did all the usual fitment test- ie my cheeks are pinched, my teeth scrape, the skin on my face moves with the helmet, i got 2 finger clearance btwn my chin and the lid, can squeeze a pinky up the forehead, and the helmet doesn't peel off forcibly.

but, after wearing it for about 5 or 10 minutes, it somehow doesn't feel "glued on" anymore. and, it starts to adjust to the shape of my head. and, it's like i no longer even feel it's even there or like i'm wearing a helmet.

so, in this way, it fits similarly to my AGV GP-Tech in size S, which is snug, but not as tight the way say my HJC IS-16 (XS) fits, which feels perpetually glued on. and, i always wished my GP-Tech were like 1cm tighter all around for that perpetually glued on feel. but i have not had access to an XS to see if it's too small or not.

so, i then compared the Bell RS-1 (M) to my HJC IS-16 (XS). and, of course, the IS-16 just fits me so stupidly perfect, that it makes any other helmet i put on feel just a little bit 'not as tight.' the IS-16 is simply vacuum tight, yet without any pain or discomfort- ie absolutely perfect. i can go 100mph and it doesn't budge at all and is glued to my head- even if i turn my head in the wind... with the GP-Tech and now the Bell, i'm pretty sure they're a proper fit for safety concerns. but, they are just not as skin tight as I would like them to be. and, don't get me wrong, the fitment is good. but, maybe i'm just more used to a super snug/ tight fitting lid...

should i keep it? :lol: sigh, decisions decisions...

swatguy

You can do the opposite of what I did. It was just a bit tight in my cheeks so order thinner cheek pads from bell. 20 bucks. You can also do the opposite and order one size thicker. My helmet now fits exactly like my IS16 which has also been mu signature fit helmet of all time.. just needed something with a bit more airflow and bit more aerodynamics for my recently acquired R6 and my local shop had the. RS-1 on closeout at end of season for 220.

Detrich

Thanks Swat... So you just went up 1 size thicker and that was enough?

Bell Cheekpad Set for RS-1 Helmets - In stock NOW! Our Price: $19.95

Since I already have a M (40mm), the next size up cheek pad would be 45mm... do you think that would be thick enough?

But that also now makes me wonder if I should've stayed with a size: S helmet (35mm) and gone down to a 30mm cheek pad... :headscratch: Gosh this is confusing...

The size: S helmet was really painful to put on though. My ears felt like they were going to burn off my head. My gut feeling is that maybe even with the thinner pads I prolly still would've had headaches with that possibly. But, it's hard to know without swapping the pads in and out and trying out different combos.

Ugh! this is getting too complicated... :lol:

Congrats on the R6S btw, and how do u like it?

swatguy

For me on my large it fit my head perfectly w/o the standard large 35mmm earpieces in the helmet. No pressure anywhere with cheekpieces removed so I knew it was the right size in that respect for me. However with those cheek pieces installed I had lost ofpressure on my jaw n cheeks. So I went down to 30mm which gave me more room (5mm on each side for total of 10mm overall) that took the pressure off and now it fits like a glove.

In your case since its a bit loose I would jump up 5mm to that 45 in your case and see if that takes up where you feel a bit loose. Keep in mind that cheeckpiece extends up side of your head as well so will snug up sides around your ear as well.

ajskillz13

Detrich... are you sure the RS-1 even fits your head shape at all? I'm having a hard time understanding how you can wear an XS in the HJC and need a M in the Bell. I have a Vortex in M and I've heard the fit is very similar on the RS-1. Most Mediums I've tried fit just about the same to me. I can attest that HJC runs a little large for the size, but I couldn't imagine even thinking about putting an XS on. Maybe the Bell shape just isn't for you?

Detrich

SWAT> Thanks! I'll give the 45mm a try. :) I tried on the RS-1 repeatedly last night after taking some breaks here and there, and I feel that the shell size feels correct. It's snug and the right size- just not as tight as the IS-16, which like you said, I've grown accustomed to. (the IS-16 is an awesome fitting helmet for some odd reason.)

AJ> after bumping up a whopping 2 sizes (going from S to the M), the Bell RS-1 now does fit. (i know- weird.) When I slip it on it's a snug fit, and I do feel the top of my head and sides of my head pushing up into & against the shell and my head fully surrounded. It's just not as "vacuum tight a fit" as my HJC IS-16, which SWAT and I both seem to agree is turning out to be THE BEST fitting helmet for both our head shapes for some odd reason.

Off-topic: i'll even go a step further and say that the IS-16 has essentially ruined me for all other helmets, because it is just SO PERFECT A FIT- ie so comfortable & snug, and so glued on yet still so breathable. I wouldn't even be considering changing helmets at all if the IS-16 had higher crash test ratings, because it looks/ feels like a very good quality helmet... sigh :(

Back to the RS-1:... What is very disturbing to me is how incredibly WRONG Bell's size chart is... If you read Bell's size charts, it's identical to HJC's! so, what's going on here? I have 2 HJC helmets, both XS. And, both fit me- though the CL-15 is a little tighter than I would prefer- which is why I never wear it and it's just a backup (spare/ extra) helmet. (See my for sale thread for this one.)

I know Jon Kerr warned about the sizing variances of the RS-1. but, c'mon. 2 sizes?? Something is very wrong with Bell's size charts if I have to go up 2 sizes to just be able to get the thing on my head without my ears pealing clean off... <lol> x_X and, honestly, i think that have a very normal (ie slightly round/ neutral) head shape. so, it's not like i have a Mars Attacks shape head and trying to get this helmet on... <LOL>

Last edited:

Alex6

the webbikeworld has a chart for the helmets shapes they review. It makes sense why RS-1 does not fit me the same as RF-1000. They are listed quite far on that chart. My head shape is more round than oval and that explained why I felt too much pressure on the sides of my head in the RS-1. Sure, I could go 1 size up to get more space in the temples area, but it would also increase the space in front and back - something I would not recommend.

Detrich

Bell's helmets have very high crash test ratings across the product line though:

SHARP Helmets

sammy56

has a review about this helmet somewhere in the forum that is very bad.
As with all helmets, it just depends on your head shape.
I have a "long oval" and I tried the RS-1 and just did not work for me. That being said, it was very aerodynamic and I thought of good quality.
Most helmets fit medium oval to round heads. Some exceptions are Arai Profile (now the Signet Q) and to a degree, the Scorpion Exo-400.
I have worn HJC low end helmets (not for me!!), RF-1000 (good helmet but too round for me), Bell RS-1 (similar to RF-1000 from my perspective), Arai Vector (too round for me, but I still love it) and Scorpion Exo-400 (very good fit for me).
Round heads I have always thought have it easy!! You can fit into Shoeis, Nolans, Arias.....pretty much everything.
To whomever started this thread.....what is your head shape as this should answer your questions.

LB

Detrich

I've been reading online and have learned that RS-1 has 3 shell sizes: XS/S, M/L, XL/XXL. And, within each shell size there are sub-size cheek pad sizes- ranging from 30mm to 45mm. This means that u have to first determine if the shell size is correct. Next, you have some leeway to determine if the cheek pad size is right.

In SWAT's case, the shell size was right, but pads too tight, so he downsizes his cheek pads by 5mm. In John Kerr's case, he went from a L to an XL, so that bumped up his "shell size" by 1 size and he was ok. In my case, I went from a S to a M, which also bumped me up one full shell size as well. But, I may upsize my cheek pads by 5mm just to get the tighter fit that i'm accustomed to. (Note however, that if you move from a M to a L helmet, the shell size actually does not change- only the pad thickness changes from a 40mm to a 35mm. so, they give u some room to play with.)

the webbikeworld has a chart for the helmets shapes they review. It makes sense why RS-1 does not fit me the same as RF-1000. They are listed quite far on that chart. My head shape is more round than oval and that explained why I felt too much pressure on the sides of my head in the RS-1. Sure, I could go 1 size up to get more space in the temples area, but it would also increase the space in front and back - something I would not recommend.

Alex6

I've been reading online and have learned that RS-1 has 3 shell sizes: XS/S, M/L, XL/XXL. And, within each shell size there are sub-size cheek pad sizes- ranging from 30mm to 45mm. This means that u have to first determine if the shell size is correct. Next, you have some leeway to determine if the cheek pad size is right.

In SWAT's case, the shell size was right, but pads too tight, so he downsizes his cheek pads by 5mm. In John Kerr's case, he went from a L to an XL, so that bumped up his "shell size" by 1 size and he was ok. In my case, I went from a S to a M, which also bumped me up one full shell size as well. But, I may upsize my cheek pads by 5mm just to get the tighter fit that i'm accustomed to. (Note however, that if you move from a M to a L helmet, the shell size actually does not change- only the pad thickness changes from a 40mm to a 35mm. so, they give u some room to play with.)
Quoting the Arai rep: "Your don't have brains in your face".