After Market Tires

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

toastmaster

To address your first question, yes, "17" refers to the diameter of the wheel, not the tire itself. 180 is the width of the tire in mm. 55 is the sidewall height ratio with respect to the width, so the sidewall height is really 180mm * 0.55 = 99mm.

I'm new to this bike, so I don't really know too much about our tire options. Width of a tire is really constrained by the wheel; if the tire is too wide, it'll pinch and cause safety issues.

Personally, I really wouldn't stray too much from the stock tire size. If you change the overall circumference of the tire, it'll affect things like odometer/speedo accuracy, as well as the RPM at a given speed, which in turn affects MPG.

FitZ6R

1. I'm not completely clear on the way tires are sized and what exactly is being measured. 17 is obviously the wheel diameter. I know the 180 is the width and I believe the combination of 180/55 is some combination of the width and the side wall height. But where and what exactly are they measuring? And what units are they measuring in? Is it 180mm?
Tire sizing is a bizarre system of mixed units of measurement and strange punctuation. Ready? OK,

180/55-17 means:
180 mm is the "section width" (width at the widest point)
55 is the "aspect ratio" in percent (i.e., the sidewall height is 55% of the section width)
17 inches is the wheel diameter

Overall diameter (in inches) can be approximated by: (wheel diameter) + (section width) * (aspect ratio) / 1270

The other important number is the wheel width, which should be marked on the wheel. Every tire size has a range of acceptable mounting widths, specified by the manufacturer.

If you change tire size, you'll probably want to keep the overall diameter close to stock size, to maintain the ride height and gearing. A 180/55-17 is about 0.25" larger than stock, probably no big deal. 190/55-17 is 0.66" larger, which is a 2.8% increase, about equivalent to dropping a tooth on the rear sprocket.

As far as improving handling, I'm no expert, but as I understand, a wider tire will give more ultimate traction, but less "flickability," as they call it in the mags. Personally, I enjoy the light, effortless handling of the 6R, and I doubt I've come close to the tire's limit on dry pavement, so the stock works just fine for me.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
It is true that a wider tire will give you a better contact patch for going straight. However, the wider tire will also make it more difficult to lean the bike quickly into turns. As stated before, you will see that the "flickability" of the bike is decreased.

Also, you are limited to how wide a tire can be by the clearance between said wider tire and the chain.

angelsneverlose

OP - your right there are much stickier tires then our OEM ones, but like others have stated, going bigger isn't always better...

if i were you, i would stay with the OEM size, but get some much better tires (thats what im doing)

some good tires = Pirelli Diablo Rosso's, Pirelli Corsa 3's, Michelin
Pilot powers... etc;)

Last edited:

mchury

i have had 3 tires on my bike first obviously the stock tire which was good i just wore it out from doing to many burn outs the second i bumped it up to a 175/65/17 and i got to screws in it but the time i had it the only diff i could tell was how it looked it did look better but i couldnt tell any performance diff the third i went back to a stalk size but a shinko brand and i noticed it got stickier quiker and handled a lil bit better

JonKerr

Elite Member

xplodnstar

(I looked at the rear tire on a friends Ninja 250 that she just bought and laughed my ass off at how narrow it was. Looks narrower than my front. :eek: )
I know I'm missing the point of your questions, but I have no experience to offer.

Up to '07, at least,the Ninja 250s have a 130 stock rear tire, which is technically wider than our fronts. Unless you go with the Pirelli aftermarket tires which ARE a 120.

There you go, useless tidbit for the day.

mchury

not at all it still "flicked" very well lol honestly i couldnt tell any diff in performance at all

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Last edited:

Spunky99

I've decided to upgrade my tires and was wondering if you would give me a hand in selecting the best tire based on my usage.

I commute 4.2 miles to work every day on surface streets.
I ride with different groups of sport bikes on the weekends consisting of twistys and some freeway to get there.
I am not concerned about tire mileage much.
I will install the Racetech fork and shock springs next weekend with 15 w fork oil.
I will keep the stock tire size.

I'm looking at the following tires in no particular order.
Pirelli Diablo Rosso
Metzler Sportec M5
Michelin Power Pure

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
If I get the time this weekend, I will be getting the Metzeler M5's put on my bike. I will stick with the stock sizes. They are claiming that the M5's are getting better traction in all conditions (dry vs. wet) and extended tire life. I figured I would give them a try, and it doesn't hurt that the dealership is giving my a 30% discount for both tires. :steve:

Spunky99

If I get the time this weekend, I will be getting the Metzeler M5's put on my bike. I will stick with the stock sizes. They are claiming that the M5's are getting better traction in all conditions (dry vs. wet) and extended tire life. I figured I would give them a try, and it doesn't hurt that the dealership is giving my a 30% discount for both tires. :steve:
Heckuva deal.....

JonKerr

Elite Member

2w05thletes

Wow, that Shinko tire looks FAT! 160 huh? Hmmmm....