After Market Tires

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Those metal bridge links are terrible to any tire.... I wouldn't put much thought into it. I remember jay saying his truck got that way on those stupid things..... but def. something to keep in mind when wet out.
You are right, they are no worse than the stock tires. I guess I was just hoping for a little improvement there. :eek:

Roaddawg

Well, I finally bought some new tires. I got the same ones 99vengeur got...the Shinko 009 Raven tires. I got the set for $151 from Cyclegear online with free shipping! :eek: I couldn't pass up the price. I called the Cyclegear near me (they didn't stock the Shinkos) and they said they charge $20 per tire to mount and balance if you bought the tires from them (or their online site), but you have to bring the wheels off the bike to them.

Anyone change their own motorcycle tires at home before? I've changed car/truck tires and bicycle tires, but never motorcycle tires. I also watched a couple how-to videos and looked at buying the tools, but it would cost me around $80-100 just for the bead breaker, rim protectors, and tire irons. I don't plan to change my tires enough to invest in that. Then comes balancing. Anyone use those balance beads before?

Spunky99

Harbor Freight Tools has a bead breaker for $24.99 that looks like the ticket. I ordered one.
Motorcycle Bead Breaker

You can get a 3 pack of tire irons from ebay.
MOTORCYCLE ASSORTED TIRE IRON IRONS LEVER CURVE: eBay Motors (item 330452537647 end time Jul-22-10 10:30:09 PDT)

Rim savers from the same place
RIM SAVERS Motorcycle Tire Iron Wheel Protector Tool: eBay Motors (item 330451985146 end time Aug-14-10 14:31:40 PDT)

So for about $50.00 or so the tools are there. Where do I get the weights?

I have a rim alignment tool for a roadbike that will work for balancing

http://cgi.ebay.com/Park-Tools-USA-ts-6-bicycle-wheel-truing-stand-mtb-road-/250667664611?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5cf504e3

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Roaddawg

Harbor Freight Tools has a bead breaker for $24.99 that looks like the ticket. I ordered one.
Motorcycle Bead Breaker

You can get a 3 pack of tire irons from ebay.
MOTORCYCLE ASSORTED TIRE IRON IRONS LEVER CURVE: eBay Motors (item 330452537647 end time Jul-22-10 10:30:09 PDT)

Rim savers from the same place
RIM SAVERS Motorcycle Tire Iron Wheel Protector Tool: eBay Motors (item 330451985146 end time Aug-14-10 14:31:40 PDT)

So for about $50.00 or so the tools are there. Where do I get the weights?

I have a rim alignment tool for a roadbike that will work for balancing

Park Tools USA ts-6 bicycle wheel truing stand mtb road - eBay (item 250667664611 end time Jul-26-10 12:32:49 PDT)
That's a nice looking tire bead breaker for only $25. I'm tempted to buy the tools, since its gonna cost me at least $40 to get them mounted and balanced anyways. Then the next time I have to change tires, I'll be making money on the savings. Let me know how your stuff looks when you get it. I'm leaving for VA tomorrow morning for a week, if I don't respond back soon.

Here's what I found for balancing: Dyna Beads Motorcycle Starter Kit | Jake Wilson

Has anyone used these before? I've seen some good reviews for them, but wondering if they really work. Maybe the 'nerds' on here could shed some light on the physics. :)

Roaddawg

"Description

Provides fast and easy bead breaking on any size bicycle or small motorcycle.

* For tires up to 5.3" wide
* Rustproof powder-coat finish
* Rugged steel construction"

160 millimeters = 6.2992126 inches

gonna be close?
Nice catch. Worst case, it wouldn't be too hard to cut out and weld in a new riser piece where the lever mounts to to get the width needed. Got me thinking...maybe I could make one, hhhhmmmm....

Spunky99

"Description

Provides fast and easy bead breaking on any size bicycle or small motorcycle.

* For tires up to 5.3" wide
* Rustproof powder-coat finish
* Rugged steel construction"

160 millimeters = 6.2992126 inches

gonna be close?
Good catch there Don.....
Lemme see....trip over to the hardware store where I snag a short piece of square tubing just bigger than the bead breaker uses. hacksaw the bead breaker vertical tube, drill and put on bolts and nuts to extend the thing a couple of inches. Cost, about 6 or 7 bucks and about 5 minutes work...

Next.....the weights.....
http://pitposse.com/

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Spunky99

Yeah, $25 ain't bad at all.

I wonder if

Bead Breaker

wouldn't be better, since our tire is much closer to cars than the tire they show on the other one (looks like a little scooter tire).
The cheaper one modified with shipping is about $40.00 and this one is about $50.00 delivered.

For another $10.00 plus shipping you can go to this one.
Portable Tire Changer

I'm going minimal...static balance and the bare essentials

Spunky99

The Sportec M5 Interact tires arrived today.

Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll get them installed on Saturday.

Spunky99

Installed them on Friday night with the sintered brake pads. Figured I'd g easy for a while while scratching them both in.

So far I'm loving the tires...turn easier, more stable more soft and feeling goodness love.

krzysiopl

i have had 3 tires on my bike first obviously the stock tire which was good i just wore it out from doing to many burn outs the second i bumped it up to a 175/65/17 and i got to screws in it but the time i had it the only diff i could tell was how it looked it did look better but i couldnt tell any performance diff the third i went back to a stalk size but a shinko brand and i noticed it got stickier quiker and handled a lil bit better
where did you find 175/65/R17 tire for sale? What company was it, and where can i buy it?