Advice for buying a new FZ6R

jkbatca

After looking at this thread (http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/how-much-did-you-pay-your-fz6r-16833/), I'm just scratching my head over visiting the last two dealers...

I live in SoCal, and I'm looking for a new FZ6R so off I go.

Went to dealer "A". Had a 2009 FZ6R listed at $5800. Using this web site (https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/newVehicleForm.do), I calculate an OTD of about $6420. I go there and the "manager" asks for $7400. :confused: So I walked out.

Go to dealer "B". Had a 2010 FZ6R listed at $6500. I calculate a OTD of $7180. Manager asks for $8310! WTH?

I don't remember going through this **** with buying my DRZ400S. Is this typical in dealers where they're trying to highball the value given their advertised price? Where can I get a hold of the dealers invoice, like I can with automobiles?

OffTheClock

I just got an FZ6R last night from North County House of Motorcycles in Vista. I believe they only have a Yellow 2009 in Stock but am confidant that if you wanted that color, they would do it for the price you are looking for. If not, I know a dealer in Orange County that will

porky45

I just got an FZ6R last night from North County House of Motorcycles in Vista. I believe they only have a Yellow 2009 in Stock but am confidant that if you wanted that color, they would do it for the price you are looking for. If not, I know a dealer in Orange County that will
Side note! I live right down the street from them!

husker525

If you can locate a new 2009 sitting on the floor, you will get a lot better deal. There were no real changes between the 2009 and the 2010 model. The dealers are going to be wanting to clear their floorplan for the 2011 models.

Be very careful when looking at pricing. Some of the not so honorable stealerships are advertising a low price, then adding in other fees, such as set up, handling and delivery, which takes the pricing well over what you should be paying.

There is some set up involved, but not anything over about $150 worth.

jkbatca

Thanks! If I'm down in that area, I'll look them up...

jkbatca

If you can locate a new 2009 sitting on the floor, you will get a lot better deal. There were no real changes between the 2009 and the 2010 model. The dealers are going to be wanting to clear their floorplan for the 2011 models.
Yeah, I thought the same thing, so I don't know what was the dealer's motivation for the inflated quotes. Other than greed I guess.

Be very careful when looking at pricing. Some of the not so honorable stealerships are advertising a low price, then adding in other fees, such as set up, handling and delivery, which takes the pricing well over what you should be paying.
That's what I think is happening in my case. Their advertised price and their OTD is way way mismatched. Trying to find a decent dealer appears like it's going to suck. :(

There is some set up involved, but not anything over about $150 worth.
Thanks, I needed to make sure I wasn't missing something when these dealers were quoting me the prices mentioned.

Detrich

Yah... Your OTD price should be approximately ([negotiated price] x 1.[tax rate]) + $150 [registration]. So, if the negotiated price is $5,300 and the tax rate is 9.75% then ($5,300 x 1.0975) + $150 = $5,967...

If you come up to the Los Angeles area, both Pasadena Yamaha and Bert's Mega Mall both have lots of 2009's in stock... The sales manager at Pasadena is Jeff & the owner is Kel. They are very straight forward, but you need to be very clear on what you want to pay. They will negotiate with you as long as the offer is fair. ^_^

bigpish13

I would suggest to get the final OTD number you want to pay for. When you are ready to buy, call all the dealers around and tell them your budget and let each dealer know you are buying the bike today and you are calling around all the dealers for their final price. I did this as someone suggested and actually got my 2009 raven for $6k otd about 6 months ago. The dealers will give you the old runaround, but at least you wont have to go to all the dealers just to get the numbers. Do not leave a deposit!! I ended up buying from the dealer that gave me the hardest time- North county yamaha in Escondido (highly recommended). They will all play hardball and so should you! You have nothing to lose but a few phone calls. Good luck! BTW as someone mentioned, try to get 09 and get a much better deal! maybe even start with $5500 otd or less. you never know. Good luck!

WenMark

The dealer is going to advertise all bike at low prices to get you in the door or to make the phone ring. Then when you get to the negotiation stage you want to buy the bike then all the "fees will appear". such as....

freight $300-500
set up $300-500
handling $100-275
docs/processing $150-250
BS fees etc $100 - ????

+ tax. tag & title

You really have to bend there arm if you want a good deal sometimes, don't be in a hurry and walk out if you have too. negotiate the fees down or completely out. Leave a business card with the OTD price you want to pay then leave they will call you if it's reasonable. Know your NADA values. Do the research on what others are paying and educate the dealer. Good Luck

Stephenfz6r

I was not pleased about paying the extra Fee ($75) for "my file to be set up", this on top of $500 for the PDI. I was able to rationalize this with the fact that everyone who works deserves a fair salary and things that are expensive are generally worth it. I felt that it was better to have a good relationship with my Yamaha dealer rather than quibble over fees. The people working there look like regular folks and I don't think I was contributing to some millionaires yacht fees. I feel if everyone chiseled the profit off every bike then the small dealers could not survive and then all that would be left would be large "don't care" type of dealers.:iconbeer: Happy New year to all!:iconbeer:

jkbatca

Thanks for all the tips on dealing with dealers, as I fine tune how to get a bike.

I don't mind letting the dealer make a profit (otherwise why stay in business!) but I just come from the auto buying side where I already have a clue as to what the auto dealer paid for the car (dealer invoice), figure out a "reasonable" profit (10-15% maybe), offer it, go back and forth a bit and there ya go.

Motorcycle buying seems to be a whole other world with me. Starting with the sticker is questionable to me because I don't know what markup, if any, has been put on the bike. Maybe it's an awesome deal I don't know, I just guess by seeing what everyone else is offering. The big problem for me is walking into the showroom, and then the manager quotes an OTD which is $1000 to $1300 over the sticker (which may or may not already have some profit and the tax+DMV is more like $600). When I bought my DRZ400S, I just paid sticker + tax + DMV fees, period and everyone seemed happy. Actually, I wouldn't even mind the "fees" if I knew I was starting from dealers invoice.

Oh well, venting time is over, I'll just keep looking... Thanks again for the info! Another year and hopefully another bike!

bjs045

If you're in So Cal go here .:: OTD Cycle Sports ::. and look at their OTD price. Ask any dealership if they will match the price. You will need to register with the site to see prices. They do not add on set up fees. I found this out after I bought my FZ6R. =( Every dealer I've been to since said they'll match OTDcyclesports price.

FitZ6R

Actually, I wouldn't even mind the "fees" if I knew I was starting from dealers invoice.
Why does it matter how much or little the dealer is making on the deal? And even if you know the "invoice price" of a vehicle, there are all kinds of holdbacks, kickbacks, incentives, etc, that affect the dealer's profit. Throw in financing or a trade-in and all bets are off. That's why dealers are able to sell at "$1 over invoice" and stay in business.

My advice would be to shop around for a good OTD price and a dealer that won't jerk you around. (In my experience, dealers that advertise low prices are usually setting up a bait-and-switch). Avoid extended warrantys or other add-ons, which is where the real gouging occurs. And do your own oil changes.

In the end, if you get a bike you're happy with, and your not signing yourself into debt for it, nothing matters but the ride.

Detrich

OTD cycles isn't a Yamaha dealership though... :shrugs:

jackflash

I had to go to four different Yamaha dealers in a two state area to finally get a no BS out the door deal of $5990. All of them except the dealer I purchased from had their 2009s advertised from $4799-$5600, but had ridiculous out the door prices. Harpers Yamaha, a small family run dealership in Hendersonville, NC only gave out the door pricing, and with a little persistence, got him under $6K by a hair. Any dealer that is strong-arming customers on 2009 models (if there are any left out there) for much more than 6000-6500 is just plain greed. I was surprised how reluctant the other three dealers were to discount a bike that had two new model years showing up. Be persistent. I really love the bike, and the deal I got makes me love it more!

bjs045

OTD cycles isn't a Yamaha dealership though... :shrugs:
Wow! They used to be. Well the name was LA Yamaha. If you google that name it still comes up as being part of OTDcyclesports aka LA cyclesports. I know they've gone to new ownership and they closed the Orange County location. Looks like they closed another. They also had an Auburn location which isn't listed. Will do more research into it.

jackflash

I wanted to update my previous post about my out the door price of $5990. I bought this bike in a neighboring state, so I did not pay sales tax in my OTD price. Luckily, South Carolina caps the sales tax at $300, so when added up, my true comparable OTD price would be closer to $6300.

Detrich

OTD (lacycles) doesn't seem that cheap to me... I signed up and looked up prices for 2009 GSXR6 $9,500 and 2010 CBR600RR $11,200... With 2009 R6's going for $7,700, before haggling, which is about $8,630 otd, why would anyone want a Suzuki or Honda still?

I don't see prices or listings for any Yamaha bikes...

motoneta123

I wanted to update my previous post about my out the door price of $5990. I bought this bike in a neighboring state, so I did not pay sales tax in my OTD price. Luckily, South Carolina caps the sales tax at $300, so when added up, my true comparable OTD price would be closer to $6300.
Don't think that can be done in CA. Also take in consideration: in CA your final OTD is based in your county of residence, means a guy in SD will pay a lower tax than you if you live in LA County, no matter were you buy the bike.