Buying new gear next week. Interested in your opinion :)

Hey everyone!

I'm finally making the time to purchase better riding gear.

I started with Shift shoes & jacket, Olympian soft gloves, and Scorpion textile pants.

I have since upgraded my pants to the Rev'It Gear Pants. I absolutely love them.

Let's cut to the chase. I called Revzilla the other day and spent about an hour on the phone with them inquiring about the gear I'd like to replace. This is what they had suggested.

GLOVES

Alpinestars GP Pro Gloves

Alpinestars GP Pro Gloves - RevZilla

Rev'It Jerez Gloves

REV'IT! Jerez Gloves - RevZilla

Held Evo Thrux Gloves

Held EVO Thrux Gloves - RevZilla

JACKET

Dainese C2 Racing Perforated Leather Jacket

Dainese Racing C2 Perforated Leather Jacket - RevZilla

BOOTS

Sidi Cobra Boots

SIDI Cobra Boots - RevZilla

TCX-Five Plus Gore-Tex Boots

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-five-plus-boots

Dainese TR-Course Out Boots

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-tr-course-out-boots

Dainese TRQ-Tour Gor-Tex Boots

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-st-trq-tour-goretex

I'm sold on the jacket, I think it will work very nicely for what I need it for. I just need to try it on in their Philly store to see if it'll fit properly.

I'm leaning towards the Sidi or the Dainese boots. Although, I just don't know which ones I want.

After reading some reviews on gloves, I think I want to go with the Rev'It Jerez Gloves. I'm not 100% sure though.

I'd like everyones opinion on the gear I've listed. I'm a casual rider. I don't do long distances like a touring rider would. Waterproof ability isn't that important to me. I'm mainly looking for something that would provide plenty of protection (especially in the ankle!) and that would be comfortable while riding. It's not that important to me if I can't walk around town with boots, etc. I also don't go to the track currently, but in the future I may like to take a few classes to get better at riding. This gear mainly will be for regular every-day riding.

Update: I meant to say I'm buying the gear this week not next week :D. I'm going into the Revzilla store in Philly hopefully on Wednesday :).

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
I'm going to the Philly store on Wednesday. Hopefully, I'll have enough suggestions from here by then :p.

Currently, I have Rev'It gear pants. I know they aren't compatible with Dainese, but I don't mind at all.

I'm just a little nervous that I'll get the boot and then realize after a day of riding it may be uncomfortable. Sizing shouldn't be too much of a problem. I run a size 8 in Shift, but I could be about a 9 with a boot.

Cerebus

I have the Dainese boots you have listed. I've used them a couple times on long rides, not so much on short/in-town trips. I feel they offer great protection, and they're waterproof. An added plus is they are pretty "low-key", they don't look so much like motorcycle boots. With that said, they are a little stiff to walk in and if I were taking a long trip where I would be ultimately be walking around for a bit, I would take a separate pair of shoes/boots.

RoadTrip

GLOVES

These are the best gloves I have had, they can be tight to start and seem like they will never break in, but once they do, oh boy the fit is fantastic and control nearly like bare handed. Also, least hot full race glove I have tried.

Rev'It Jerez Gloves
This was my first high end pair of gloves, I really liked them and wore them for a couple of years, never wore out. But after getting the A-Stars and wearing those awhile I did a ride in these, not nearly as comfortable.

Held Evo Thrux Gloves
I have a couple of pairs of Held, they seem designed for fat fingers, well made but tend to be sloppy on the controls.

JACKET

Good choice, Dainese has the best leather, it lasts for years and is like butter once broken in. Make sure you get the tightest fit that seems reasonable, if you start with a loose one it will become sloppy over time. However, if you are going to use it with undergarments for cooler weather, then you will be forced to get a looser one. Also look at the Avro jacket, it won't be as cool in the Summer, but I do mesh in Summer anyway, but in the Spring-Fall-Winter it is great with the liner and just a bit of fresh air coming in through the small perfs.

BOOTS

Sidi Cobra Boots
I am a big Sidi fan, sizing can be an issue here, make sure and ship em back before riding in them if they are the wrong size, they seem to run a bit big to me.

Roadtrip, that's excellent feedback on those items. Thank you!

Why do you recommend the Avro jacket? Unfortunately, it seems a tad out of my price range.

The C2 is only available in a size 44. I wear a size 40 with my Teknic Supervent Mesh Jacket. I plan on wearing my Forcefield Action Pro Shirt (armored shirt) under the Dainese jacket. I don't know if a 44 will be too large on me. If it matters, I also do have a Gerbings heated coat liner I do wear in the fall. I haven't tried wearing the liner with the armored shirt + jacket yet. I don't know if the liner will still be effective if it's on top of an armored shirt. If it's not, I might not wear the Forcefield.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Roadtrip, that's excellent feedback on those items. Thank you!

Why do you recommend the Avro jacket? Unfortunately, it seems a tad out of my price range.

The C2 is only available in a size 44. I wear a size 40 with my Teknic Supervent Mesh Jacket. I plan on wearing my Forcefield Action Pro Shirt (armored shirt) under the Dainese jacket. I don't know if a 44 will be too large on me. If it matters, I also do have a Gerbings heated coat liner I do wear in the fall. I haven't tried wearing the liner with the armored shirt + jacket yet. I don't know if the liner will still be effective if it's on top of an armored shirt. If it's not, I might not wear the Forcefield.
Well, make sure you are looking at the Euro to US sizing conversion, I see the Teknic is US sized, so a 40 is for 40inch chest, that would be a 50-52 in Dainese Euro sizing. Sounds like you have the liner covered, so the Racing with perfs would give you more temperature range. I finally ended up getting a windproof shirt for my perforated leather jacket, cause no amount of undergarments would block the chill in the Winter. But, the Avro has less perfs, but still not fully non-perf'd so cold air is not as big an issue. I use the Craft Windstopper shirt on cold days, it works great, keeps out the chill, but you never get hot or sweaty as the day warms up cause moisture vents out the back and sides.

Oh, I have a 9.25 inch palm and wear the A-stars in XL, I have prolly put around 5000 miles on my current pair, they still look new.

Last edited:

D52

Hey everyone!

JACKET

Can't speak for the other gear, but I have this exact jacket, only last year's version and non-perforated. The jacket is comfortable, durably constructed, and sharp-looking... I've received several compliments! It was rather tight-fitting at first, and is still kinda tight a year later, (which is a good thing) but I now have a room for a wave back protector. There isn't much room for bulky clothing though. I usually just wear a t-shirt underneath, and underarmour and a long sleeve tee when it gets colder. Overall, an awesome choice that I think you'll be very happy with.

D52

Hey everyone!

JACKET

Can't speak for the other gear, but I have this exact jacket, only last year's version and non-perforated. The jacket is comfortable, durably constructed, and sharp-looking... I've received several compliments! It was rather tight-fitting at first, and is still kinda tight a year later, (which is a good thing) but I now have a room for a wave back protector. There isn't much room for bulky clothing though. I usually just wear a t-shirt underneath, and underarmour and a long sleeve tee when it gets colder. Overall, an awesome choice that I think you'll be very happy with.

Hey, I purchased the Wave Back Protector for my Shift Street Fighter jacket. The few times I've fallen, I had that protection in it. It's an excellent choice for your back!

What size did you go with if you don't mind me asking?

Well, make sure you are looking at the Euro to US sizing conversion, I see the Teknic is US sized, so a 40 is for 40inch chest, that would be a 50-52 in Dainese Euro sizing.
I know my chest is about a 34". I'd say add 2-3" for a forcefield and maybe another inch or so for a Gerbings jacket (if I wear it). A 44 in Dainese Euro Size would be a 34.6" size US. Oh boy, that's close. Maybe a 46 is more along the lines I want? D52 did say it's tight even after a year.

Last edited:

D52

D52

Hey, I purchased the Wave Back Protector for my Shift Street Fighter jacket. The few times I've fallen, I had that protection in it. It's an excellent choice for your back!

What size did you go with if you don't mind me asking?

I know my chest is about a 34". I'd say add 2-3" for a forcefield and maybe another inch or so for a Gerbings jacket (if I wear it). A 44 in Dainese Euro Size would be a 34.6" size US. Oh boy, that's close. Maybe a 46 is more along the lines I want? D52 did say it's tight even after a year.

I'm 6' with about a 34-35" chest. I have the (Euro) size 46.

Good call on the back protector. My brother wrecked a few years ago and damaged a couple of his vertebrae. He still has residual pain, though definitely could've been far worse. Your spine is not something you want to take chances with.

adamo3957

Short answer, Buy the gear you'll wear...

Reason, If you don't like it, you won't wear it, trust me...

Example, I have kevlar jeans I ride in, they have pockets for hip and knee armour.

The hip and knee armour make stuff like going to the bathroom awkward and uncomfortable. When I went into the back of a car on Thursday just gone, I was glad to have kevlars on, but I wouldn't be limping with a bruised knee if the pads were in.

I'm 6' with about a 34-35" chest. I have the (Euro) size 46.

You're pretty much the same size as me. I'm 5' 10" You said the jacket is a little tight a year later? I'll probably pick up the 46 Euro, especially if I wear my armored shirt. Luckily I'll be able to try the combination on at the store. I'm pretty sure the non-perf model is the one I'm going to purchase. It's on closeout at Revzilla.

I didn't realize this until now. The shoulder armor isn't removable. That could be problematic for me with using the Forcefield Pro Shirt :-/.

I agree. The gear must be comfortable and what I like. I used to have the Forcefield Pro Pant, but got so tired of putting it on because it was incredibly bulky that I ended up selling it. Maybe in the future I'll get Dainese pants to match the jacket :p.

Does anyone else have comments on the boots that I listed? After tipping my bike over on my ankle against a curb, I really want to emphasize the amount of protection I want overall.

I've been looking up more types of boots all night. I can't decide between Sidi, Dainese, and Alpinestars :D. I am slightly leaning towards Sidi.

I can't wait to to try this stuff on!

Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm going down to Revzilla tomorrow. I just called them to ask about the inventory on the C2. Neither 44 or 46 was in their showroom, so I had to order it and have it sent to their store. It'll be there tomorrow. I ordered the last 46 in their stock, which means it's completely sold out. I also ordered the 44 just for a size comparison.

I'm going to bring my Gerbings heated jacket to see how much room I'll have with the 44 & 46 sizes.

Armor is a little bit of a concern for me. I had 3 slow low sides with my Shift jacket. The back protector (G2 Wave Protector) worked well as I mentioned before. I'm a little concerned how skin tight the armor is against your body. I don't want any movement if it can be helped. This is one of the reasons why I have the Forcefield Pro Action Shirt. I don't know if the jacket can accommodate chest armor, but I'd like to get some if possible or just wear a separate protector under the jacket. I'll just keep an open mind and get the size that fits snug the best.

I think I'm pretty sold on the Sidi Vertigo Boots. They seem to be most adequate in protection for street / entry level track riding. They are also not that difficult to get on and off. Feel free to throw in your 2 cents to change my mind :).

Last edited:

RooKie

I'm pretty "sold" on the Sidi ST. It has amazing protection for the price and it's a huge reputable brand. Alpinestars comes close, but I'm not sure offers everything I'm looking for.

I just have to try it on and hope it fits well!

Current expected gear line up:

Dainese C2 Racing Leather Jacket (non-perforated)

Sidi ST Boots

Last edited:

Malicioso

just go to the store and try them all on!
Totally agree!

Try before you buy is always the way to go, specially when it comes to riding gear which is our only protection if things were to go wrong.

Also from personal experience, I have noticed that with my Dainese Cage Jacket the collar sits a bit high and digs into my next, most times I have to leave the top button un-done so that the collar doesn't strangle my neck! IMO the design on the collar of the Alpinestars jackets would be better as they're lower and have the button more at the top of your chest than middle of the neck.

applejax

You're pretty much the same size as me. I'm 5' 10" You said the jacket is a little tight a year later? I'll probably pick up the 46 Euro, especially if I wear my armored shirt. Luckily I'll be able to try the combination on at the store. I'm pretty sure the non-perf model is the one I'm going to purchase. It's on closeout at Revzilla.

I didn't realize this until now. The shoulder armor isn't removable. That could be problematic for me with using the Forcefield Pro Shirt :-/.

I agree. The gear must be comfortable and what I like. I used to have the Forcefield Pro Pant, but got so tired of putting it on because it was incredibly bulky that I ended up selling it. Maybe in the future I'll get Dainese pants to match the jacket :p.

Does anyone else have comments on the boots that I listed? After tipping my bike over on my ankle against a curb, I really want to emphasize the amount of protection I want overall.

I've been looking up more types of boots all night. I can't decide between Sidi, Dainese, and Alpinestars :D. I am slightly leaning towards Sidi.

I can't wait to to try this stuff on!

Sent from Tapatalk
I had sidi cobra boots for a while but then they started to get super cramped and hurting my feet.

I have alpinestars smx6 right now and love them.

I wanted the Cobra and Vertigo before I realized there was no brace preventing the ankle to roll.

I'm going to try on the Alpinestars as well. I think it was the Supertech R's I keep hearing good things about.

Whichever brand can give me the most protection without being the top pro boot, I'll purchase. I do like the idea of having the ability to replace the sole too. I don't know if A*s' offers that.

Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hey guys & ladies,

I just got home from Philly. Phew, finally! Once again, the experience at Revzilla was more than pleasant and VERY accommodating. I had plenty of time with a sales associate (over an hour to be exact :p). I was able to pick the appropriate gear for my style of riding, while picking the associates brain on the different types of boots and gloves. It was definitely a joy to be able to walk in there and sit down (literally, ha) with someone who actually is very knowledgeable on the gear. It's not even just the knowledge. They have personal experience :D.

As I was trying on some boots an associate who saw this thread approached me and asked if I was "SampsonNation". He greeted me and thanked me for coming down. I was kind of taken back for a second that someone had actually noticed I was planning to come to their store on the FZ6R forum :D. As I said earlier, their store and dealing with them on the phone is always a very positive experience. Most stores will never treat you this way. I can only think of say an Apple store that would be equivalent in customer service.

I ended up purchasing the C2 jacket in a 44 size. It fits FANTASTIC! I was very torn over the 44 and 46 sizes. The associate (Brian) who helped me the entire way helped me decide on the fit. I'll tell you what, he was 100% correct. I can also JUST barely fit a Gerbings heated liner under the jacket. I'm very pleased with this jacket. Can't wait to try it out on the road! I purchased the Black/White/Black version :).

I also settled on the Held Evo Thrux gloves in black. It's very comfortable. I tried the Alpinestars before I made my purchase. This was also a difficult decision. I just went with the feel of the glove and I'm happy.

Boots are another story. I found my size, but was unable to try the Sidi ST and the Dainese TR-Course Out boot in my size. However, I still narrowed down my boot choices to the Dainese Axial Race Boot, the Sidi ST (still haven't tried that on, but I did try their "sneaker" version. Very comfortable. And lastly, the Dainese TR-Course Out Boot. It was explained to me that the TR-Course Out boot is very similar to the Axial boot in the way it holds and supports your heel and ankle. I loved that track support I guess you could call it. I thought it was very comfortable!

What I think I might do is, order the ST & Course Out and compare them. Then, obviously return one of them :).

I'm very thankful for the amount of help everyone has been supplying not only myself, but everyone around us who is in this great hobby / club :). See ya on the road!

Boots I'm deciding on now:

Dainese TR-Course Out Boots - RevZilla

SIDI ST Boots - RevZilla

Dainese Axial Pro In Boots - RevZilla

I know I haven't worn either the Sidi ST or the TR Course Out, but I will say if the Axial Pro fits like the Course Out, I'm probably sold on it!

Last edited: