A few newbie questions

Brent27

First post - hopefully the newbie questions are not too annoying.

A little history first:
In April I picked up a 2013 FZ6R that had 3 miles on the odometer from a Yamaha dealer. It sounds like they had some sitting around in the factory for a long time and they released to dealers and I felt like I got a pretty good deal.

Never rode a motorcycle before... but before even buying one I took the MSF course and passed, got the endorsement on my license, picked up helmet/jacket/etc and did a ton of research. I landed on FZ6R as it seemed like a good beginner bike but also something that I wouldn't "outgrow" like much of the feebdack I read on the 250s. I'm not planning on being a hooligan I just want to use it to have fun, commute on nice days and run errands.

Since I picked it up I've put 1000 miles on it and am much more comfortable in everyday riding. I've been taking things slow and being careful and now am trying to smooth things out and become more seasoned.

My questions:
- I've read about rev matching and "blipping" the throttle on downshifting. I've been working on making downshifting to make it more seamless and have been doing this mostly by feel. From what I think I'm doing, when I'm downshifting I'm not "blipping" the throttle (i.e. a quick twist up of the throttle) but pulling in the clutch, increasing the throttle slightly and holding, then shift and slowly release the clutch. I am thinking this isn't the right method but in doing this am I causing harm to the transmission/clutch?
- Lastly, I tried to remove the warning sticker on the tank and it looks like some of the clearcoat has come off. Is there a way I can fix it without painting the whole tank? I searched and couldn't find anything on the web that has been helping me out.

Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks,
Brent

mike

First post - hopefully the newbie questions are not too annoying.

A little history first:
In April I picked up a 2013 FZ6R that had 3 miles on the odometer from a Yamaha dealer. It sounds like they had some sitting around in the factory for a long time and they released to dealers and I felt like I got a pretty good deal.

Never rode a motorcycle before... but before even buying one I took the MSF course and passed, got the endorsement on my license, picked up helmet/jacket/etc and did a ton of research. I landed on FZ6R as it seemed like a good beginner bike but also something that I wouldn't "outgrow" like much of the feebdack I read on the 250s. I'm not planning on being a hooligan I just want to use it to have fun, commute on nice days and run errands.

Since I picked it up I've put 1000 miles on it and am much more comfortable in everyday riding. I've been taking things slow and being careful and now am trying to smooth things out and become more seasoned.

My questions:
- I've read about rev matching and "blipping" the throttle on downshifting. I've been working on making downshifting to make it more seamless and have been doing this mostly by feel. From what I think I'm doing, when I'm downshifting I'm not "blipping" the throttle (i.e. a quick twist up of the throttle) but pulling in the clutch, increasing the throttle slightly and holding, then shift and slowly release the clutch. I am thinking this isn't the right method but in doing this am I causing harm to the transmission/clutch?
- Lastly, I tried to remove the warning sticker on the tank and it looks like some of the clearcoat has come off. Is there a way I can fix it without painting the whole tank? I searched and couldn't find anything on the web that has been helping me out.

Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks,
Brent
Blipping throttle on down shift is just matching eng rpm to the speed on the next gear down so up dont upset the bike when you need to have smooth throttle used alot in racing also you should be braking as you do it. If you practice you will get the hang of it you just have to work on your timing. When you get it right you will have a smooth transition from gear to gear instead of a jerky feeling. I wouldn't rev the bike and hold it you might wear you clutch alittle more than normal. If you dont like the blipping method i would just recommend let the clutch out slowly while your braking.. hope this helps. Not sure about he clear coat

+1 to what mike said.

It sounds as though you have the mechanics of it right, just need to get quicker. It's called "blipping" because when done right, it's really just that--"blipping". It's very quick.

Here's a video you may find helpful and I'm sure you can find others. Actually, this guy has lots of good videos.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oEEbwkZi3fM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit: Need to learn to embed properly, sorry.

brownwa

Use rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth to solve your clearcoat problem. Rubbing alcohol is like the magic cleaner that removes everything, from sticker residue to sharpie ink (some punk drew a giant d*** on my car and rubbing alcohol erased it in less than a minute).