Advice for buying a new FZ6R

jkbatca

Update on my story. One bike dropped in price after last visit so I went back. Long story short, after taking some advise here, I laid out what exactly what I wanted to pay and showed the manager what I thought all the costs were supposed to be so he couldn't come up with some other excuses. After a bit of back and forth I now own a 2009 FZ6R with an OTD of $6450 with CA fees. Thanks for helping me out everyone! :) By the way, California got a big chunk o' change out of this transaction, so couldn't get around that.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Detrich

Wow, that's a great deal. I bought mine used for $6,300 otd...

CDN6R

This goes to prove that doing your homework,and having a great place like this to use as a resource can really be helpful. Congrats on the new purchase,so what color did you get?

wtnotch

Don't think that can be done in CA. Also take in consideration: in CA your final OTD is based in your county of residence, means a guy in SD will pay a lower tax than you if you live in LA County, no matter were you buy the bike.
FWIW, I managed to get my 2009 leftover Yellow for $5994 OTD this past October, and it was in California.

Roaddawg

So, it looks like you guys got some fair prices on your new bikes down in SoCal. I paid $8400 OTD up here, but that was right after they came out. So, there wasn't much negotiating room.

Last edited:

motoneta123

FWIW?? i'm old need google those 2 know what u mean! ha ha!!
i said i dont think you can registrer a new bike from another state, i got my 2009 from Santa Barbara motorsports in Goleta on june OTD $6249 & i had to pay LA County taxes.

jkbatca

Congrats!

So how you liking the new ride so far?
Keep in mind I'm coming from riding a DRZ400S (with Donlop D-606's no less!) on the street, but man this bike is sweet. My first time riding it was yesterday and I expected to spend all day just getting the feel of the clutch / engine / handling. To me, this bike was so user friendly, 1/2 hour later I was taking hour rides on it. Spent most of yesterday riding it (which is why I wasn't posting :) ) and I'm more than happy with it! Went way further than I've expected with it.

If work permits, hope to ride with my brother in law next weekend... Again thanks to all for your help!

jkbatca

This goes to prove that doing your homework,and having a great place like this to use as a resource can really be helpful. Congrats on the new purchase,so what color did you get?
Couldn't agree more about doing research before buying. Knowing what the fees will be in advance by looking at other buyers invoices, figuring the fees out, what the dealer (maybe) paid for it, trade ins via Kelly Blue Book, and laying it all out before "the manager" made the deal go a lot smoother.

Got the white one, BTW. Actually wanted the black one, but they didn't have any, but I'm riding now so it's all good!

wtnotch

FWIW?? i'm old need google those 2 know what u mean! ha ha!!
i said i dont think you can registrer a new bike from another state, i got my 2009 from Santa Barbara motorsports in Goleta on june OTD $6249 & i had to pay LA County taxes.
Chances are I'm older than you :D I got mine in Santa Rosa. A friend also got a 2010 from the same dealer, but paid something like $700 more if I remember correctly.

Detrich

i've been looking online, and santa rosa has some really great prices on yamaha bikes. too bad they're like 500+ miles away! :(

there are brand new 2009 R6's in santa rosa sticker price for $6999, so this ad below is way overpriced. but, can someone tell me what a "factory repo" means? (see below) how can it be "new" if it's repo'd? LOL was it repo'd from the dealership???

"2009 YAMAHA YZF-R6, MSRP is $10,090 and its now on sale for $8,399! SAVE $1,691! This is a new factory repo! This bike is a brand new blue R6 that wont last long at Berts Mega Mall for this price. This bike qualifies for great financing so dont miss out. Factory Demo but never ridden. Come in now and check it out!"

ihans

Anyone have experience with Honda of North Hollywood?

I am thinking of getting the FZ6R, and they're nice and close.

Are they willing to deal? Is their service good? Do they deal honestly?

Last edited:

ihans

After reading all of the prices people paid here in California, seems that about $6500 OTD is the max one should go for. Should I start at $6K and let them talk me into $6500 or would you start lower?

OffTheClock

Start at $5500 OTD, thats what I landed up doing in December and finally settled at $6000. Good luck, there are some good buys out there if you look around.