Would you spend a lot on a helmet?

Merc250r

Well I was looking at the avg freaking beautiful color scheme top of the line yada yada, now. We all know what happens with helmets, they fall, we drop them, rock chips etcc. the black one I have no it's a cheap icon has chips on only from 1,300 miles of riding. I would seriously hate for that to happen to an expensive helmet. so what do you guys wear?

WhiteFZ

1st helmet was a Scorpion EXO400 I got on closeout, $60. My 2nd is an Icon Alliance, $160. I like it. I'm saving up to get an Arai to match my next bike. Looking to spend $350-$450. In the meantime, I might pick up an HJC. I'm beginning to be a Helmet Junkie.

bakkenlab

Well I was looking at the avg freaking beautiful color scheme top of the line yada yada, now. We all know what happens with helmets, they fall, we drop them, rock chips etcc. the black one I have no it's a cheap icon has chips on only from 1,300 miles of riding. I would seriously hate for that to happen to an expensive helmet. so what do you guys wear?
if you could find a road that doesn't have one pebble, i would be amazed... Chips are going to happen whether you like it or not. if you're riding behind a car or truck their tires will fling pebbles like no tomorrow (not all the time, but you'll see it more than often). It's a price we have to pay...me personally i try to keep my helmet looking good for a couple months but the chips in my visor and helmet are inevitable...

i would buy something that you think would save your life in the event of a crash, because really that's what there made for. And plus, when your driving by people, they wont even notice a chip in your helmet

oldtouring b

Being a cheap old fart..

If I buy new, I will go with New Enough in their closeouts. Last year I bought a Scorpion for $40 shipped.

If I see one I like on ADVrider that is used and in like new condition--buy it and wash the inside liner and all set. Have never been disappointed.

The question has been asked"What is your brain worth?" In my case-under $100:eek:

Sparkxx1

First I had a POS icon beater that I got from a friend. The I bought myself a Bell Star on closeout for 250$ and it is amazing. I just bought my GF an AGV Miglia 2 in XS for 180$.

Honestly, how much do you value your life and your creature comforts. Motorcycles can be a tad bit uncomfortable sometimes, if I can make it better just spending a little extra on my helmet why the hell not. Usually more expensive helmets vent better, are lighter, and you don't have to struggle with the wind at high speeds.

JSP

Super Moderator
Buy the helmet that is the most comfortable and fits your head the best. Nothing worse than trying to ride with nasty pressure points or your helmet too loose and not fitting right. Any of the reputable brands are great helmets. I dont go buy the top of the line just to have the top of the line, because those helmets do NOT fit my head shape. So I go with the best fitting that has the features I want. If I cannot find that, then its down to just the best fitting.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

fz6r_zer0

My first helmet was the new line Scorpion just came out with. Exo-500. Has high end features of the Exo-1000 (Sun visor, cheek pad inflation) with some lower end features (Not too many vents) for $229 this past May. I had it before the shops did. I got the black/gray Ardent.

Just bought my uncle the newer HJC CL-2 Max Modular Helmet in black for $129.

I'll probably get a new one next spring or so and going to spend about $400. I don't really intend on going to the track anytime soon so I don't think I need any Snell approved helmet.

Fizzer6R

if you have the $ to blow and want to buy a nicer lid then fine. any DOT or SNELL approved helmet will protect your head the same, a $400.+ won't save you any more than $100.

sizes differ from even the same maker, some fit a oval type head better, and others more square

keep in mind also that the inside shell/foam is what breaks down over age, some say good for a couple years while maybe more

if you ride for a long time you'll probably have many helmets through the years. if you find one you like, fits and price is right then it's for you regardless of make/model

CrazyCawi

Buy the helmet that is the most comfortable and fits your head the best. Nothing worse than trying to ride with nasty pressure points or your helmet too loose and not fitting right. Any of the reputable brands are great helmets. I dont go buy the top of the line just to have the top of the line, because those helmets do NOT fit my head shape. So I go with the best fitting that has the features I want. If I cannot find that, then its down to just the best fitting.
I agree with you all day long. I found only 2 helmets seem to feel good, the Bell vortex/star and the shoei Rf1000....anything else has pressure points that hurt and Id rather be comfy with a cheaper helmet. Shoei and bell have the same safety charictaristics not to mention bell is made in the USA and all staff are american based. :wav: Keep jobs at home!

JonKerr

Elite Member

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Merc250r

So I went to thE bike shop picked up this

Compared to the icon it's like night and day. More comfortable, less wind drag, safer, more wind = cooler head weighs less as well

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

redprodigy35

+1 for the RF - 1100.

I must have tried on 20 helmets before I got mine. Granted some I left on for more like 5-7 min as opposed to 15 to really get a feel -- but the Shoei's just felt right.

When I tuck in its just feels right and I think really comfy. I've worn helmets in other activities that felt more like a chore but with this one I really have no complaints.
Either way, I agree with not skimping on the dough for a safe, comfortable helmet.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

If it fits snug and doesn't have pressure spots, has a DOT and SNELL rating then I'm good to go.
The EXO 400 has a lot more buffeting than the EXO 700.

Detrich

As long as a helmet has either DOT or Snell or ECC 2205, then it is a helmet that meets safety standards- regardless of the price. Just make sure it's a more recent certification- ie 2000, or 2005 or newer... etc. And, make sure it's a proper fit & comfortable...

My primary helmet is a HJC IS-16 Scratch that was $150 w/ DOT & a retractable inner sun shield. Extremely comfortable, reasonable wind noise, & looks great. I also bought a closeout HJC CL-15 Mutant for $60 w/ DOT & SNELL. It's actually a higher safety rated lid, but it's actually slightly noisier... For my "vanity" helmet, I bought- on impulse- an AGV GP-Tech Rossi Continents, which I found on closeout for $475. It's light as a feather, DOT, ECC 2205, but noisy as heck... <lol>

I like keeping a couple helmets, cuz it (a) spreads our the wear n tear, and (b) it's fun mixing things up a bit... :)