Why is the fuel mileage not better???

Kspalla

Just wondering why our bike gets kinda crappy fuel mileage??

A guy at work has a honda liter bike and gets the same mileage out of his big bike any info on this reason would be appreciated....

:rant:

MikeN02

A guy at work has a honda liter bike and gets the same mileage out of his big bike any info on this reason would be appreciated....

What do you mean by crappy fuel mileage? You DO realize the amount of miles per gallon you get depends on the road conditions, weather, and how hard you ride your bike/car right?

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

If he's getting better gas milage than you with a liter bike, you're riding a lot harder than he is. Most people get about 45mpg in stock form and average riding. Commuting, I've been getting about 49 lately, almost all freeway and cruising at 65-70 in 6th gear. But today riding the canyons aggressively, going from 35 to 80, all in 2nd and 3rd gear (4th gear occasionally) and I only got about 35mpg.
I'm getting at least 35mpg but not much more if I'm doing all street driving but then I drive it like I stole it. That dude on the litre bike doesn't do that.

owldaddy

Yamaha claims this bike should get 43 mpg. I have never gotten mine that low, usually somewhere between 47 and 50. I did get 56 once (coming down out of the mountains). I don't know many liter bikes that get mileage that good, unless they are long stroke slow spinning twins. Being smooth with the throttle will help.

bmw675

same as everyone else. i ride agressively for me, probably laid back for most, and i get between 47-53 consistantly.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Superzoom

Hi Kspalla,

First off, people exaggerate. Or they quote their "best" figure, not their average. Huge difference.

Second, I've seen a lot of horrendous mileage figures for litre sport bikes, unless your friend's bike is not a sport bike. But even a lot of the bigger cruisers don't get very good mileage. I've seen a lot of figures in the 30's for litre sport bikes.

So unless you really trust this guy or see some actual numbers, I would take your friend's figures with a grain of salt.

From what I've gathered over years of riding different bikes is that there is a correlation between smaller, less cylinders, longer stroke, and less valves with higher mileage. But it's only a correlation, not causal. In reality, every engine and bike configuration will result in an almost unpredictable fuel mileage figure.

And as mentioned above, riding style has a huge amount to do with your mileage.

Having said all of this, I believe the FZ6R gets from good to very good mileage compared to all other street motorcycles. I would categorize most litre class sport bikes as achieving poor to decent mileage.

Try this with your friend... You both fill up your tanks then go for a ride together until one of you runs dry. I'm gonna bet good money that your bike is the last one still running.

P.S.: One thing which I find confusing and annoying is that some people will quote MPG using an Imperial gallon, which is larger than a U.S. gallon. Gotta compare apples to apples. I also find that car and motorcycle companies will use the Imperial gallon for quoting their estimated fuel economy, which gives a false impression of higher fuel economy.

Last edited:

FitZ6R

A lot of things contribute to the fuel mileage equation: weight, aerodynamics, gearing, and riding conditions are the big ones. Engine displacement by itself is a pretty small factor.

Sure, a larger engine will suck more fuel under full load. But under comparable conditions, a larger engine may match or outdo the MPG of a small engine that's revving higher and producing more frictional losses.

For me, the fuel mileage issue boils down to this: I used to drive a VW turbo, which was a lot of fun, but once gas prices hit $3-4 a gallon, I just couldn't enjoy putting my foot into it. Having the bike means way better performance than an economical car and much better mileage than a performance car, so I'm not going to sweat a few MPG more or less.

A1A

I average 47 to 48 mpg on the FZ6R now after the break in period. I was averging 43 to 44 mpg on my Bandit 1250S litre bike. So it looks like the FZ6R is getting 4 mpg more than the Bandit 1250S both driven at the same speeds and roads.
My conclusion; it takes more throttle twist (higher RPM) on the FZ6R to go the same speeds as with the Bandit 1250S.
Now forget about speed and just compare engine rpm on both bikes across the range. I'll bet the FZ6R would get closer to 8 or 10 mpg more than the Bandit 1250S litre bike.

Roaddawg

Which bike does he have? Because a Honda CBR1000 gets about 35-37. And an Yamaha R1 gets about 33. I've never gotten less than 43 MPG. I usually average 48+ MPG on the freeway. So either your doing your math wrong or he's blowing smoke up your yaahoo.

bmw675

I won't complain, I can get the same mileage distance out of my truck but it'll cost me $80 as opposed to $8.
no kidding, my last fill up on my truck was $103. my truck is lucky to get 17 mpg on interstate, usually about 15-16mpg. save alot of money by commuting on the 6r, eventhough i work only 10-15 minutes from home.

Fogride

I don't think I ever thought about gas mileage when I bought this bike. If I had of been thinking that way I should have looked at scooters or smaller bikes. I only think about gas when it gets down to one bar or I'm at the gas station. I do have a 1600 cc that gets close to the same mileage, but that's not why I bought it. Cars and Trucks we need, bikes we want.

Kspalla

Hi Kspalla,

First off, people exaggerate. Or they quote their "best" figure, not their average. Huge difference.

Second, I've seen a lot of horrendous mileage figures for litre sport bikes, unless your friend's bike is not a sport bike. But even a lot of the bigger cruisers don't get very good mileage. I've seen a lot of figures in the 30's for litre sport bikes.

So unless you really trust this guy or see some actual numbers, I would take your friend's figures with a grain of salt.

From what I've gathered over years of riding different bikes is that there is a correlation between smaller, less cylinders, longer stroke, and less valves with higher mileage. But it's only a correlation, not causal. In reality, every engine and bike configuration will result in an almost unpredictable fuel mileage figure.QUOTE]

CBR 1000RR and his was a best case est. His rpm would have been much lower than ours would to achieve the same take off and his is geared higher.
My brother in law has a 900 cruiser and he said thats what he gets (45mpg) but i didn't know that they get that good of mileage and thought "well i should be getting better mileage than him at least"

Thanks to you guys for informing me of that fact, never got much into cruiser info nor did i care much.

I get that the riding style has alot to do with it and i like to have the snappyness of the higher rpms if i need to get going in a hurry, most times i ride to and from work which is a pretty straight line and consistant speeds so it probably gets an average of 40-43.

Overall in love with the 6R and never thought about the fuel mileage much but was taken off guard by his "claim"
Good to see some of the numbers come up on here, compared to most vehicles really cant complain hard to find numbers that good.

:iconbeer: Heres to you guys

Stephenfz6r

I've had two Liter Bikes (Suzuki and Kawasaki) and they both drank gas, 25-35 MPG.:iconbeer:

Kspalla

Update on that liter bike it now gets 0 miles to the gallon as it was wrecked tonight on his way to work, too much bike for a guy that has little common sense, no one to care for and rides like an a$$

Fractured solorplex bruised ego among other things but he will be ok just needs some time off work now to heal

owldaddy

Fractured solorplex bruised ego among other things but he will be ok just needs some time off work now to heal
Lucky guy. He only lost his bike.

Bigevildoer

If he's getting better gas milage than you with a liter bike, you're riding a lot harder than he is. ]
Agree with you on that.
When I rode my FZ6R hard, the worst economy I ever had was about 40 mpg. Compare that to my Buell 1125r (1125cc, V-Twin, Short stroke, large piston diameter), when riding it NICELY (and trying to stretch mileage) I'm at about 40-41 mpg on a lucky day. Ride it hard, and ouch... down to about 24-27 mpg. :eek:

Bigevildoer

Fractured sternum maybe, not solarplexus - that's soft tissue (i.e. the soft spot right under the spot where your ribs meet at the bottom of your chest).