Where to store all that gear when going to the mall?

CrazyCawi

He asked for simple advice with an example, if you dont have any to offer I'd recommend refraining? Sounds simple to me.

ChUcK

Im NOT going to the mall people cmon. Im Just using it as an example.
;) :D

I like to take my helmet in and leave it on a safe counter somewhere with the permission of the staff.

I wear the rest of the gear around the store- it's amazing how the passive-aggressive behavior of the typical jerk Seattle citizen vanishes when they see you are wearing leathers. I enjoy walking around public knowing that the only people who are going to approach me are other riders looking to talk bikes.

For any shopping that would require a disarmorment, like clothes shopping, the bus rocks my world.

lwayne58

Gear at the mall

Stealing gear off a bike is a crime of opportunity. I hang my helmet on a passenger peg and us a thin cable lock to attach it to the bike. I put my jacket (if it's hot) on the seat and attach it to the bike with one of those mesh carriers with the 6 hooks. So far, not one has touched my gear. Maybe just lucky!

XTRAWLD

I'm researching helmet locks, haven't found the perfect thing yet. I have a Kappa case - I think a trunk is the best solution to lock up your belongings - although the cable idea some folks have here is pretty neat.

JSP

Super Moderator

XTRAWLD

iSpoolin

I just take my helmet off, put my gloves in it, carry the helmet and wear everything else.

XTRAWLD

I just take my helmet off, put my gloves in it, carry the helmet and wear everything else.
I would do this, however on road trips, if you want to see some sights....carrying the helmet is really annoying, and actually dangerous. I brought my helmet along for a bit of trail walking to the High Falls Gorge near Lake Placid.....oh, it's only a couple km walk in and out, be done in an hour or so - no biggie.....suuuure.

It's tricky carrying a helmet and walking down stairs or even better, rock stairs cut beside a gorge, and steadying yourself by holding a railing, or when a railing is missing finding trees to support your walking with motorcycle boots on. Even more fun - when you are walking around Whiteface Mountain.

Sometimes, you just need your hands free, take pics, take in the sights and smells and not to worry about your stuff.

iSpoolin

I would do this, however on road trips, if you want to see some sights....carrying the helmet is really annoying, and actually dangerous. I brought my helmet along for a bit of trail walking to the High Falls Gorge near Lake Placid.....oh, it's only a couple km walk in and out, be done in an hour or so - no biggie.....suuuure.

It's tricky carrying a helmet and walking down stairs or even better, rock stairs cut beside a gorge, and steadying yourself by holding a railing, or when a railing is missing finding trees to support your walking with motorcycle boots on. Even more fun - when you are walking around Whiteface Mountain.

Sometimes, you just need your hands free, take pics, take in the sights and smells and not to worry about your stuff.
Well I just meant when going to the mall/town/shopping. Not going on crazy mountain adventures haha

In that case a set of saddle bags would be your best bet!

XTRAWLD

Well I just meant when going to the mall/town/shopping. Not going on crazy mountain adventures haha

In that case a set of saddle bags would be your best bet!
LOL I know - mall and mountains, very different. I shoulda just left it on the bike, but.....

I've got a Kappa trunk now, so that's where it'll be, although I would prefer a quick helmet lock for days I don't bring the trunk with me.

There are a couple cable combination locks on ebay for like $1.50. Might pick up a couple and see how they work.

XTRAWLD

iSpoolin

LOL I know - mall and mountains, very different. I shoulda just left it on the bike, but.....

I've got a Kappa trunk now, so that's where it'll be, although I would prefer a quick helmet lock for days I don't bring the trunk with me.

There are a couple cable combination locks on ebay for like $1.50. Might pick up a couple and see how they work.
Theres a cable lock that comes with your bike, its not the quickest thing, but if you really want to lock it to the bike you can, I've used it a few times

Superzoom

Please don't buy the cheapest cable lock you can find. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for when it comes to cable locks.

tnd2

OH MY - that might just be my solution........must......investigate.....:steve:

My helmet has the D-rings on the strap, my girls has the ratchet style so she uses the short helmet locking cable to go around her chin bar. Another tip when using this setup is it gives you a place to put the helmet while gearing up/down, just hop off the bike and secure your helmet while dealing with the rest of your gear, no more dropped helmets.

tnd2

Where did you attach it? Have a photo?
Sorry about the delay, here's some pics:

IMG_5409001 by tnd2, on Flickr

IMG_5407001 by tnd2, on Flickr

IMG_5404001 by tnd2, on Flickr

If you look at the last pic, the lock is bolted thru the alum plate, so you could open the lock and unbolt the lock assy then attach it to any plate to be able to mount 1 or use the lock with a modded plate mount too. Is this setup 100% secure, nope, but locks are only for deterring lazy thief's...

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

gdh8tsu

I just use a bike lock through my jackedsleeve and through the middle of my helmet and lock it to the center of my steering, if they can get it off then they need it more then I do.. Pants, well if its to the mall I just wear jeans and my riding boots.

I olny live 1/2 mile away but 95% of the time have my jacked on and alwasy wear my helmet and gloves..every now and then scabs are fun to pick :p
Joking... well mostly...