what tires should I put on my bike

madhatt

hey friends, what tires should I put on my new bike 2009 fz6r that I just got last week. I dont do much of aggressive lean-sporty *** riding, rather enjoi longer trips. What brand/model/price combination would you recommend as seasoned fz6r-ers :)
thank you all:p

JSP

Super Moderator
Highly recommend Shinko 009 Ravens. Have ran them on last couple bikes. Great tires.

From Leatherup.com

and use 10% coupon code Facebook11

And you get cash back reward on top of it for future purchase.

Total $148 SHIPPED for the SET front and back.

Attachments

ksk operator 1

highly recommend shinko 009 ravens. Have ran them on last couple bikes. Great tires.

From leatherup.com

and use 10% coupon code facebook11

and you get cash back reward on top of it for future purchase.

Total $148 shipped for the set front and back.

go 170 though

LKLD

As soon as wifey finishes off the stock tires off of her '14, I'm putting T-30's on it. Got a trip planned to the Smokies, and these tires have been great on my FJR for grip and mileage.

madhatt

thanks for the replies. I had michelin road pilot 4 on my last bike (fz6)
I loved the tires but I could not see how many miles I can put on them because I crashed my bike mid-season... :zombie:
Now on my fz6r I will probably put the same tires since I already used the same model.
How many miles could I expect from them ?

Nmexico

Dunlops- I've had the Roadsmart II as OEM no road feel at all. Great in the wet and good braking. Was the hardest feeling tire I've ever had. I'm running Q3s right now and they are excellent, makes the bike's steering lighter and quicker.

Michelin- I've only run their Pilot Power tires and loved them. Very tippy feeling. You must inflate to full pressure 36/42 on these to get that Pilot Power feeling. More tippy than completely flat feeling stable. More attention is needed on these than Q3s. The Q3s feel more stable and glued to the road.

Pirelli- I have run the Rosso II and disliked them after about 1k, felt the flatspotting very early on and I know they are well reviewed but never again Pirelli for me.

Bridgestone- Did not like the BT021, maybe sport touring tires are just not my cup of tea. Just bland in every way

Next I am trying Avon 3D ultra sports that I got off ebay for a very low price. I should be sticking with the Q3s but I like to try new things out.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Nmexico

Good to hear you like your Avon tires and would buy again. Its hard to find riders who ride Avon, they probably sell a ton more over there in England where they are made.
When was the last time anyone bought anything made in England?

Last edited:

blkbrd

Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Nmexico

I am for any tire that makes this bike feel lighter and quicker steering. Its heavy feeling to me. I will give up some tire life and wet traction for that.

dIGITAL dISCIPLE

Gaaahh.. I just don't know what to get. Power Pilots, PR4S or Q3's. I commute and ride about town, but there will be a time or two when I want to take it 200 miles down the road. No track for me as none are by me, but I want good grip in twisties.

I need to order them today and can't decide.

Maadi

Here's another shout out for Michelin Pilot Road 4s. I have the PR3s and have 10000 on my rear tire and 7000 on my front. They both still look almost brand new. They say PR4s get 20% more thread life, and the thread pattern is smoother on the edge for smoother cornering.

The PR3s did change the feel of the bike for me, I got way more confidence in corners and they are quite unbeatable on wet roads. I commute a lot and do weekend rides trying to find the most twisties I can here in Maine. Great longevity and great handling in my opinion.

I will definitely get the PR(next gen) when I need to buy new tires.

mcoulter

Shinko 009 Raven

While I don't anything other than the wornout OEMs that were on my bike to compare them to, I have been 100% pleased with the Ravens! I did look at a bunch of online reviews and picked these primarily because of the expected long life and reasonable price. FWIW, I try to support local shops where possible so I did NOT order them online but got them through my dealer.