What don't you like about your FZ6R?

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Skidro

Mine will be 3 years old in July and i will hit 29,000 miles on her this morning. I haven't modified, changed or tweaked anything on the bike since i bought it.
I like the way the bike looked when i bout it, so i keep it that way and i really enjoy riding it everyday.

So put me down for No Complaints or Dislikes.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

RandiZ

Needs more power... as in electricity, can't run full heated gear...

Chain guard as mentioned... why did they leave an opening right where your leg goes....
Yeah, those two things. But the biggest one for me is the SEAT!! So ready to pull the trigger on a $400 Sargent.

I'm not a fan of the handlebars,
Shifter isn't as smooth as its counterparts.
I guess that's about it....
Pros outweigh the cons any day'

BKP

Just passed 8500 miles, and the pre-purchase research I did has pretty much panned out - which were the reasons I bought this bike.

Before I bought it, I knew it had a vestigial jewel, I knew the swingarm was boxy, and didn't take a standard spool, I knew what it weighed, that it was chain drive, I knew what the muffler looked like, and sounded like, I knew how it felt to sit on for a short demo ride, and I knew how it shifted. So, none of this was a surprise, and if any of those were a major problem to any owners, I suspect they wouldn't have bought it.

So, I assume this thread refers to what we discovered, or were surprised about after buying it, that we didn't like?

For me, just one thing -- the seat sucks on long rides. No way I could have known beforehand. So, I finally ordered a Corbin. None of my mods come standard on *any* bike. Otherwise, it's exceeded my expectations in the twisties, around town, ease of maintenance, on the highway (including doing 80+ for a couple of hours up route 75 in Atlanta, w/o breathing hard). It leans like it's 2nd nature, the brakes, even w/o ABS, have kept the left-turners at bay. I didn't buy it for long (multi-day) touring, or to mod it for the track. If I wanted that, I would have bought something else.

I'm not saying I'll never change bikes -- but that will only happen when I want it for another purpose -- perhaps true adventure/touring a-la FJR or V-Strom.

However, what I *am* toying with is adding a 2nd bike for the dirt.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

GoodSpeed

Well I've only had my FZ6R for a few weeks so the Jury is still out for me. Once she's broke in I'm sure I will enjoy it more that I am now. The revs are higher than I expected at Interstate speeds but at least she doesn't vibrate like my Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT did between 75-80 mph. I figured the inline 4 of the FZ6R would be a smoother ride and so far it is. It kind of feels like a reformed version of my Suzuki Bandit 1250. I don't expect to do to many Mods to it but I would like to change the exhaust system which I can live with but it was almost a deal breaker for me. I understand that it's an Eco Friendly Exhaust (which I'm sure Polar Bears appreciate) but I think that Yamaha Engineers should have paid better attention to the styling cues of the Kawasaki's Ninja 650 exhaust which IMHO is a better looking but not necessarily better sounding exhaust. The other day I pulled up into the drive and my wife thought that someone's belt was slipping on their car. Reminded me of the commercial where the guy's Harley sounded like a Weed Whacker. I agree with most of your concerns or dislikes regarding the headlight crystal, chain guard, swing arm, exhaust and bla bla bla but for the class this bike falls in, I think the engine, suspension and general look of the bike outweigh all the idiosyncrasies of the machine. As far as more power, my Bandit 1250 was a great bike with a lot of bang for the buck but I still wanted more power. Be warned all you Riders that want to move up the performance latter; all that extra torque and horse power can get you into trouble faster than you can get out of it.

Last edited:

BoneJj

Well I've only had my FZ6R for a few weeks so the Jury is still out for me. Once she's broke in I'm sure I will enjoy it more that I am now. The revs are higher than I expected at Interstate speeds but at least she doesn't vibrate like my Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT did between 75-80 mph. I figured the inline 4 of the FZ6R would be a smoother ride and so far it is. It kind of feels like a reformed version of my Suzuki Bandit 1250. I don't expect to do to many Mods to it but I would like to change the exhaust system which I can live with but it was almost a deal breaker for me. I understand that it's an Eco Friendly Exhaust (which I'm sure Polar Bears appreciate) but I think that Yamaha Engineers should have paid better attention to the styling cues of the Kawasaki's Ninja 650 exhaust which IMHO is a better looking but not necessarily better sounding exhaust. The other day I pulled up into the drive and my wife thought that someone's belt was slipping on their car. Reminded me of the commercial where the guy's Harley sounded like a Weed Whacker. I agree with most of your concerns or dislikes regarding the headlight crystal, chain guard, swing arm, exhaust and bla bla bla but for the class this bike falls in, I think the engine, suspension and general look of the bike outweigh all the idiosyncrasies of the machine. As far as more power, my Bandit 1250 was a great bike with a lot of bang for the buck but I still wanted more power. Be warned all you Riders that want to move up the performance latter; all that extra torque and horse power can get you into trouble faster than you can get out of it.
I had a classic and that's the exact reason I got rid of it. It was a great bike until you got above 75mph. If it wasn't for that flaw I would probably still have it.

I tried the FZ6R but it was just too small for me so I ended up with the Kawi ninja 1000 as in my sig but I agree it's a great bike just the seat was too uncomfortable for me.

It's funny how well the vulcan 900 bikes sell, even though they suck for anything other than local riding. Unless you just aren't the type of person to go over 70mph.... I can't go that slow on the interstate. I don't need idiots coming up behind me at 90mph and swerving at the last second, a few of those and you will switch to a larger bike pretty quickly.

dsc

Top heavy

Only complaint is the bike feels top heavy, making low speed maneuvers a bit tricky.

Occasionally refuses to shift up to 3rd gear, but suspect it's beause I'm not dropping my toe enough after the previous shift. Still getting used to riding boots.

Otherwise, the bike is a blast!

GranTourer

Judging by the number of mods I've done to mine, I'd say there was a lot I didn't like. In no particular order:

Inaccurate speedometer--fixed

That's all I can think of right now without looking at or riding my bike. :D
Yes, thank you! The speedo had me wondering when learning to ride as I was getting passed by almost everyone on the road.

To the 6R's defense, I've read most bike speedos are less accurate than say a car speedo.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Alex6

The ergos on the FZ1 (lean, knee bent) are almost identical to the FZ6R, while the Ninja 1K allows for more forward lean, that IMO is better for the back since the weignt distribution is less on a spine.