Unusual engine noise?

mrbacardi

Hey. So i've got my FZ6R for a couple weeks now and it's a blast to drive, but something is bugging me.

When I get to the operating temperature of the engine the bike seems to make a ticking noise that coincides with engine rpm. It's easier to hear when i'm driving beside a wall so that the noise can reflect off that to my ear. I know it's not the tires or chain because when i pull the clutch in the engine rpms drop and the noise reduces as well.
Is this a normal noise? I know it's hard to diagnose without actually hearing it, but any initial thoughts or things to check out first?

JSP

Super Moderator
Yamahas are generally noisy engines. Google yamatic or yamaha tick. My R6 sounded like it was going to explode. I do not remember the FZ making anywhere near as much as the R6 did though. They do tick a little though. Can you get a vid of it up so we can hear?

How long before last oil change? What oil ya got in it?

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

mrbacardi

I will try to put a video up either today or tomorrow. Oil was changed recently by the previous owner (1000 kms ago), although I don't know what kind of oil.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

bobby bo bonsin

Yeah this is pretty normal i believe. My bike has always ticked fairly loud. When i first changed to mobil 1 it seemed to get quieter for a while but its back to ticking like it always did. I wouldnt worry too much its probably normal engine noise. Valves opening and closing is what your hearing probably and is a good thing to hear.

Last edited:

6R Blackout

I have the Yamaha tic on my 6R, but its not bad at all though it is noticeable.

I have had that noise from day one and now with 6,200 miles it still makes the noise and never gave me any problems. Jspansel is right :noworries:
He was the one who told me about the Yamaha tic and not to worry so I took his advice and I am still going strong. You don't have to worry.

Michael Wilson

what your hearing is simply the valves and cams in action. Don't fix what's not broken :)

bleedinblue

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
On the R6 the main noise maker was the CCT (cam chain tensioner). Some went with a manual tensioner and were able to quiet it down but you need to know what you are doing for proper tension or you can damage things. APE i believe was the manufacturer. Not sure if they make one for the FZ6R.

YAMAHAZONE...

Insure Gal

when the ticking stops that is when you have trouble, that would signal that the valves are too tight or seating too far in the up position against the cams
there is a valve tensioning service I think but the miles are way up there when it has to be done.
hubby's bandit had it done at 24000 kms and the ticky engine is a happy engine.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

travisH3

Ok so instead of starting a new thread I will just ask my question here since its along the same lines.

I have 3279 miles on my bike and I am hearing some faint ticking sometimes when riding and wasn't quite sure what it was but figured the valves. So I got out my owners manual and it said 26k miles. Is that right or do I need to do it sooner. Hearing that other people have ticking engines makes me feel a little better. This is my first Yamaha lol

Spunky99

Old timer wisdom.....

If the engine is making some noise you haven't heard before, stop and check to make sure the engine is working normally before you freak out.
After an engine warms up and depending on a whole bunch of factors including your ears, you will hear all kinds of stuff.

If it drives, normal then ignore it and listen to things that matter, like the chain and other vehicles on the road.

0150r

I noticed the same ticking that you are all describing after I installed my JBPro..I don't notice it as much now with the new exhaust though :p

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Michael Wilson

Ok guys to clear things up about the valve adjustment maintence. First of all rememeber Yamaha is a corperation and is out to get YOUR money. Secondly remember that ALL CLEARANCES AND SPECS are called "SAFETY ZONE" I've had bikes roll into my shop at 40k miles that have never been serviced besides oil and tires. No I'm not saying dont severice your bike and I'm not saying ignore the recomended service times. What I'm implying is that if you are tight on money ext ect ect that bikes will survive past the "required" maintence.

Hope this helps shed a little light on the valve adjustment questions

P.S Dont blame me if YOU dont take care of YOUR bike. None of the "Well Michael Said" cause no michael did not :)

SpawnXX

Premium Member