Thinking about purchasing another bike? POST/ASK/TELL HERE!

Maadi

So my husband is looking at a 2002 gsxr 600 that is for sale. Less than 4000 miles, one owner (K-9 police officer) who doesn't have time to ride. The tires are really bad, so those would have to be changed. It has a yoshimura exhaust - don't know what kind, if there are options. She says it is not loud, but does anybody have any idea how that would compare for example to the FZ6R? I have a bad feeling her "not loud" is not the same as mine, since I think my bike is loud enough...
The handlebars are the kind that are ridiculously close to the tank that I don't get the reason for, but probably fit the purpose of the bike... :rolleyes: She is buying a new battery for it, because it has been sitting a while (only been taken out twice this year). The chain looks really cruddy/black, but not rusty. She is asking 4000 for it, while the kbb value is 3200. I am thinking we would definitely not pay more than 3000, since we would have to buy new tires for it anyway. Any thoughts? Our insurance wouldn't really go up by much at all, so that isn't an issue.
Now, if I say that I don't get why he needs an FJR and a gsxr 600 at the same time, I would probably get a lot of very good reasons from some of the forum members here, so I won't say it, but... :rolleyes: (oops, did that already)
He wanted a smaller, older bike to ride to work with instead of the behemoth FJR... His work is 5 min. away, I keep suggesting a bicycle, I think there is an ulterior motive here... Hmmm.
She is letting him take it on a test ride, surprisingly, so we will see how that goes.

DevlDog

My sister's bf(who is actually from Bangor, odd coincidence), has what I believe is an '04 GSXR-600 with a Yoshi exhaust, and his completely drowns out the sound of mine if he opens it up at all. So yes, her not too loud is probably worlds different than yours, unless it's just a slip-on.

Maybe it's the difference in location, but the KBB I see on retail is $3,145 in excellent condition, while trade-in is $2,135. People generally set the price a bit higher than what they actually want in case someone comes to haggle them down. If you can, I would try offering her $3,000 cash, and see if she'll take that. If she looks hesitant, just bring up the arguments about the tires needing replacing, and how rough the chain looks.

If you're having a bad day, you could also point out how nobody with a brain would buy a bike KBB'd at just over 3k for a thousand dollars more than it's worth, especially if the tires are tore out the frame and the chain looks like crap.

As far as why he needs a FJR and a GSX-R...much like women, we men need all the toys we can get ^_^:sinister:

Bert-Aus

...why he needs an FJR and a gsxr 600 at the same time...
The more toys the merrier a man will be
if he is anything like myself, he will ride his bicycle more to cross train for riding all the toys:)

And besides, you may be permitted to ride it too!

Detrich

The more toys the merrier a man will be
if he is anything like myself, he will ride his bicycle more to cross train for riding all the toys:)

Yes :)

bigddy263

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming I'm going to be riding a demo that fully broken in. I've heard complaints regarding vibrations above 5k, and engine heat. I'll be keeping an eye out for that. I had a Harley before, so I doubt vibes and heat could turn me off. But the 6R has me spoiled right now with smoothness and comfort.
No doubt the engine on the 6r is smoother, but on the freeway the beemer might make up the difference with lower revs. Let us know how you like the demo.

JFresh

No doubt the engine on the 6r is smoother, but on the freeway the beemer might make up the difference with lower revs. Let us know how you like the demo.
There's a lot of good about the F800GT but just not enough for me to justify the price of a new one. The ergos were great, and the seat was comfortable, but I get the same comfort from the 6R. Shifting and acceleration was butter smooth, pulls nice at all RPMs. Wind protection on the highway was pretty much equal (I'm 5'8"). The 6R handles a little better to me, and I didn't notice much of a difference in suspension. Just thinking about touching the brake lever on the BMW would stop this bike. I think I'm just too used to the 6R. The WOW factor is definitely highway. I was halfway through 4th gear, and I looked down to see I was already going 75mph. I still had 2 more gears to go, and the bike wasn't begging for me to shift. The vibrations in the bike aren't too bad, but they are felt in the handlebars and footpegs when you start to push it, not a really big deal though. It's a good bike overall though. I'd like to see what kind of prices these are selling for when they make it to the used market. I'd also like Honda to bring back the VFR800.

Maadi

Hehe, the "permitted" is the wrong word here, I will be "required" to take it out for a spin, if we buy it... ;) I am anticipating, though, that the ergonomics are not going to be to my liking and I won't be hot to ride it all the time. (I hope)

Glad to know my idea on the price seems reasonable. The good thing is, we don't NEED the bike (says I) so we can always walk away....

Sent from my HTC EVO DESIGN using Tapatalk 2

bigddy263

There's a lot of good about the F800GT but just not enough for me to justify the price of a new one. The ergos were great, and the seat was comfortable, but I get the same comfort from the 6R. Shifting and acceleration was butter smooth, pulls nice at all RPMs. Wind protection on the highway was pretty much equal (I'm 5'8"). The 6R handles a little better to me, and I didn't notice much of a difference in suspension. Just thinking about touching the brake lever on the BMW would stop this bike. I think I'm just too used to the 6R. The WOW factor is definitely highway. I was halfway through 4th gear, and I looked down to see I was already going 75mph. I still had 2 more gears to go, and the bike wasn't begging for me to shift. The vibrations in the bike aren't too bad, but they are felt in the handlebars and footpegs when you start to push it, not a really big deal though. It's a good bike overall though. I'd like to see what kind of prices these are selling for when they make it to the used market. I'd also like Honda to bring back the VFR800.
Thanks for the review. +1 on the vfr800. Or an aluminum framed FZ1R! with heated grips, trip computer, gear indicator, outside temp display, factory available luggage, ABS, and 50+mpg.

JFresh

I'm surprised I've never read anything about an FJR anywhere on this forum. Faster than a R1 and R6. This will be the bike I get once I run my 6R till it dies which will be forever. I haven't looked lately so I can't say the specifics but I've pretty much read nothing bad about the FJR. I'm more of a commuter and look to do touring in the future but if it's just raw power the FJR will do this beyond the R1 and R6. No one should be concerned with top speed (other than racers) once you hit 600cc and above. Thats just wreckless. Be more safe and enjoy the torque in a straight line.

0-60 in 2.8s plus the comfort of a sport touring bike is a win in my book.

Motorcycle 0-60 & Quarter Mile Times | Kawasaki, Ducati, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha 0 to 60 Acceleration Sports Bike Specs & More!
I'm starting to look into this too. While it might be "heavy", it's lighter than a lot of the alternatives, and seems like the best value. Not to mention insurance is priced the same for this and the 6R for me. Gotta find one to test ride.

I priced insurance for the Ninja 1000 and immediately took that bike off my list. Cheapest quote I got was still over $1000/yr.

Been starting to look into the FZ1. I need the upright riding position due to my neck surgery.

latony007

So my husband is looking at a 2002 gsxr 600 that is for sale. Less than 4000 miles, one owner (K-9 police officer) who doesn't have time to ride. The tires are really bad, so those would have to be changed. It has a yoshimura exhaust - don't know what kind, if there are options. She says it is not loud, but does anybody have any idea how that would compare for example to the FZ6R? I have a bad feeling her "not loud" is not the same as mine, since I think my bike is loud enough...
The handlebars are the kind that are ridiculously close to the tank that I don't get the reason for, but probably fit the purpose of the bike... :rolleyes: She is buying a new battery for it, because it has been sitting a while (only been taken out twice this year). The chain looks really cruddy/black, but not rusty. She is asking 4000 for it, while the kbb value is 3200. I am thinking we would definitely not pay more than 3000, since we would have to buy new tires for it anyway. Any thoughts? Our insurance wouldn't really go up by much at all, so that isn't an issue.
Now, if I say that I don't get why he needs an FJR and a gsxr 600 at the same time, I would probably get a lot of very good reasons from some of the forum members here, so I won't say it, but... :rolleyes: (oops, did that already)
He wanted a smaller, older bike to ride to work with instead of the behemoth FJR... His work is 5 min. away, I keep suggesting a bicycle, I think there is an ulterior motive here... Hmmm.
She is letting him take it on a test ride, surprisingly, so we will see how that goes.
Did he get it? I don't get the point of two sport bikes either, especially super sport like the GSXR really just built for speed and not comfy as you pointed out with the mini bars below the tank. I have two bikes but one is a cruiser for taking the wife or kid on rides. However my advise would be that it sounds like this bike was stored outside if the tires are trash at 4k miles and the chain is messed up. I would seriously hesitate buying a bike stored outside. Especially in a frozen tundra state like Maine :) good luck

Maadi

Did he get it? I don't get the point of two sport bikes either, especially super sport like the GSXR really just built for speed and not comfy as you pointed out with the mini bars below the tank. I have two bikes but one is a cruiser for taking the wife or kid on rides. However my advise would be that it sounds like this bike was stored outside if the tires are trash at 4k miles and the chain is messed up. I would seriously hesitate buying a bike stored outside. Especially in a frozen tundra state like Maine :) good luck

We are in the process of buying it. The owner actually suggested the $3000 herself that we were going to offer for the bike. The tires are bad because she REALLY liked to do A LOT of curves... The middle is fine, sides are done. Tires look like a v. :) She doesn't store it outside, I just don't think she really cared to clean the chain. No biggy. Chains are consumables.

About the two sportbikes, the FJR would actually be my choice if I were the passenger over any cruiser for touring... Well maybe not the Goldwing, but that's a moving couch... :) The FJR is ridiculously comfortable to be the passenger on, I have almost fallen asleep on it a couple of times. The nice thing is, that is still MOVES.

He did confirm my suspicions on the ulterior motive, though. Apparently we needed a track bike. :D I can get behind that, and it should be a perfect bike for it... We'll see how that goes. We'll need some proper leathers...

Bert-Aus

Detrich your girls are frightened!
You better check for mice in the walls, they can hear something and its freakin them out!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Chucker

Do it!!!!!!!!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

danieljardim

2003 VMAX. I bought it for $3500, but already have $1000 into it. Scary fast!

Unfortunately, I had to sell the 2009 FZ6R to buy the VMAX. Me and my wife have a 1 bike at a time deal and my attorneys advice me to stick to the deal.:D
v-max is nice, was on my list of upgrades. I just think it deserves a fatter tire in the rear to match a muscle bike.