Thinking abou getting a Ducati Monster 796

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Superzoom

Uno979, thanks for injecting a little rationality and perspective in this thread. It seems most people are commenting on the old reputations of bikes. I would buy a bike as reliable as a modern Harley in an instant.

MrGti, one other issue you might want to check out is bulging fuel tanks on Ducatis. Not sure if the 796 has a non-steel tank, but many Ducatis with non-steel tanks have been deforming due to ethanol in gas.

SAFE-T

It seems most people are commenting on the old reputations of bikes. I would buy a bike as reliable as a modern Harley in an instant.
How modern is that ? I know two people that worked in the service and parts department of the same Harley dealership up until about 2009 and they couldn't believe the amount of $60,000 bikes that came in for major service a short time after they rolled out the door.

wtnotch

How modern is that ? I know two people that worked in the service and parts department of the same Harley dealership up until about 2009 and they couldn't believe the amount of $60,000 bikes that came in for major service a short time after they rolled out the door.
For a while, I was going through different bikes pretty frequently, but I had a 2002 Harley Fatboy Custom that I put > 15K miles on with zero problems. I also had a 2007 Ducati S4RS got around 8K miles also with one problem - a flat tire :) Then again, this is just one data point.

MrGti

[QUOTEMrGti, one other issue you might want to check out is bulging fuel tanks on Ducatis. Not sure if the 796 has a non-steel tank, but many Ducatis with non-steel tanks have been deforming due to ethanol in gas.[/QUOTE]

Will check in to that.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Superzoom

A $60 000 bike is highly customized and probably includes modifications to every system of the bike. It's when you start changing things on stock bikes that you get problems.

MrGti

The ducati dealer is 30 min from my house or 15 min from work. They are a good dealer. They also sell Kawasaki and Suzuki. I got my 250 ninja from them.

jocampo

The ducati dealer is 30 min from my house or 15 min from work. They are a good dealer. They also sell Kawasaki and Suzuki. I got my 250 ninja from them.
Very old thread, not sure if you still check this.

But I wonder what you bought and if you got the Ducati, how is it so far...

Thanks,

MrGti

I never did end up getting a new bike. I have not had to much time to ride last season. My 75 year old mom lives with me and i have been busy taking care of her. She might end up in a home soon. I will look in to a new bike for next year.

jocampo

I never did end up getting a new bike. I have not had to much time to ride last season. My 75 year old mom lives with me and i have been busy taking care of her. She might end up in a home soon. I will look in to a new bike for next year.
Thanks for reply!

I will let you know if I get the Ducati Monster 696 or a Street Triple! ;)

MrGti

Mom was moved to a nursing home. New bike will have to wait until next year. I have lot of thing around the house that need done now.

locwan

jocampo, Please do post here with whatever bike you decide to get (the triple or the monster). I'm currently on the same boat wanting to get another roadster for the summer. (M796 or the Street triple R)

Thanks!

ScottM

I just bought a 2012 Ducati Diavel a couple of months ago. It is my first non Japanese bike and I will admit to being worried about reliability issues. But so far - 1300 miles - I have had no issues at all. The valve adjustment interval is 15,000 miles and it is expensive at around $1,500 but 15,000 miles between is very reasonable in my estimation.

Oh, and is is very fun to ride. When you crack the throttle you better be leaning forward.

I love my FZ6R and had planned to keep it but the Duc seems reliable so I don't know what to do.

RoadTrip

I just bought a 2012 Ducati Diavel a couple of months ago. It is my first non Japanese bike and I will admit to being worried about reliability issues. But so far - 1300 miles - I have had no issues at all. The valve adjustment interval is 15,000 miles and it is expensive at around $1,500 but 15,000 miles between is very reasonable in my estimation.

Oh, and is is very fun to ride. When you crack the throttle you better be leaning forward.

I love my FZ6R and had planned to keep it but the Duc seems reliable so I don't know what to do.
Well, some peeps do keep multiple bikes, kinda makes sense if they are vastly different, but for street riding you will prolly be reaching for the Duc mostly and pointless to have 2 bikes. Of course, if you alternate bikes weekly then you reduce mileage on your new Duc, but with the 1198 engine in the Diavel, you prolly gonna want to ride that one all the time.

Spunky99

I just requested a quote and applied for financing for a 2012 Panigale S.....

Not gonna happen but at least I'm trying......:D