Think I have to sell my bike....

JSP

Super Moderator
I've been fighting having to do this for a while now. Some of you know my wife has been going to school so she can get a better stable job. She has been working horrible shit jobs for the last 10 years and has not been able to get into anything that is worth a damn. Now all of those jobs (lots) bite her in the ass when she tries to get anything good..

Now we are fighting trying to get her through college AND have her work enough hours to help with the bills. We just cannot do it. She keeps getting screwed over by employers who keep cutting her hours horribly or they decide they no longer want to work around her school. Now we just cannot find anything that WILL work around her school and make enough money.

I feel like shit that I cannot support my family so she can stay home until she finishes school.

I see no other option but to sell the bike. $400 a month is what I need if she is not working to stay afloat. My bike payment is $245 + $20ish for insurance. I can pay my car off in 4-6 months which is $145 month. I can drop that down to liability ins. (its already smashed up). That is a little over $400 a month right there together.

We have already cut back pretty much everywhere else we can.

This would allow her to focus on school and finish faster. Should not take more than 2 more years. She can still work a few hours here and there to bring in a little more money for savings. This way we are not stressed on a certain amount of hours or money.

I feel like shit right now. I love this bike, but I love my family more. I have to put on my big boy grown up pants and do what is right.

I will try and save what I can and when time permits in a couple years get another bike...

RooKie

Oh no. It's tough man. In the past few months I've had to sell some of my camera lens to stay afloat as well. I'm really glad to hear that you're not putting your own pleasures before your family's well being. You're a good person and I wish you the best of luck! Stay strong!

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Only issue is I do not think I can get what I owe on it. I am going to give it a couple weeks and go through all our options and see what the best route will be. Maybe she will get a good job here soon I dont know. Going to try and sell off what I can to try and get this car paid off sooner. That alone will help ease some of the pain. Maybe it will be enough. Maybe I could refinance the bike? I owe only for 3 more years on it. I already have a good rate at 3.9%. I really do not want to stretch it back out though.

Sorry, just using here to vent and talk out my issues and possible solutions. Maybe I can rally for a raise at my work. I talked about a second job but I do not want to give up time with my daughter. That is just as bad. :banghead:.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

raven6

If you don't mind me asking what field are you and your wife in..??? what's she going to school for..??

JSP

Super Moderator
I do electronic and mechanical assembly/test and she is going for Health Information Technology. (medical billing, coding, insurance etc.)

JSP

Super Moderator
Going through our budget real good again just now.

After food, and all bills just by myself we are short $370 a month. Not counting any fun money.

So to be stable with no real worries she would need to find a 20 hour a week job at minimum wage ($8.80 here). Thats all we need to stay how we are. Need to find something that is not physically and mentally stressful for her so she can still focus on school. Once I pay off the car it can be anywhere from 15-20 hours a week and we would be fine. Anything that would pay a little better and the hours can get lower.

If I can squeeze a raise out of my work, even better. So right now selling it I guess is a last resort and hopefully I can make it work.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

oldtouring b

Big Boy Pants = maturity

JS--
In life if you allow yourself to get attached to material items that depreciate in value--you will never stop working.

Based on your monthly payment of $245 if you keep making the payments for 36 months, you will have spent $8820! Think what you could do with that money to create security for yourself and family.

Refinancing your loan or living on credit at 21% interest is just digging the hole deeper.

Follow your gut and detail your bike and put your ads out there. Determine how much you are short and set that aside to pay off the loan. You will remove a great deal of stress from your marriage and life.

You will not regret making the right call..Good luck.

Detrich

Sorry to hear about this tough situation. :( But, I'm sure you'll make the right choice after carefully weighing all your options. We'll be hoping that a better solution presents itself and that you don't have to sell the bike. Either way we support whatever u decide... Hang in there man! :)

Jay S.

I've been fighting having to do this for a while now. Some of you know my wife has been going to school so she can get a better stable job. She has been working horrible shit jobs for the last 10 years and has not been able to get into anything that is worth a damn. Now all of those jobs (lots) bite her in the ass when she tries to get anything good..

Now we are fighting trying to get her through college AND have her work enough hours to help with the bills. We just cannot do it. She keeps getting screwed over by employers who keep cutting her hours horribly or they decide they no longer want to work around her school. Now we just cannot find anything that WILL work around her school and make enough money.

I feel like shit that I cannot support my family so she can stay home until she finishes school.

I see no other option but to sell the bike. $400 a month is what I need if she is not working to stay afloat. My bike payment is $245 + $20ish for insurance. I can pay my car off in 4-6 months which is $145 month. I can drop that down to liability ins. (its already smashed up). That is a little over $400 a month right there together.

This would allow her to focus on school and finish faster. Should not take more than 2 more years. She can still work a few hours here and there to bring in a little more money for savings. This way we are not stressed on a certain amount of hours or money.

I feel like shit right now. I love this bike, but I love my family more. I have to put on my big boy grown up pants and do what is right.

I will try and save what I can and when time permits in a couple years get another bike...
Bro, there is nothing wrong with selling the bike to help the family out. I took 6 years off from riding for the same reason. Sold my bike when I was 22 so my wife could finish school and then we had our daughter. I was 28 when I finally got back into riding. Of course I missed it, but it's what I had to do.

Riding will still be there when you guys are in a better place, trust me.

Sirnice

Best of luck on what you do. Things are hard for many Americans and not looking any better in the near future. The government is going crazy on spending and nothing left to improve the lives of it's people. I admire you for putting your family first and not being selfish. Make the right decision now and will pay off in the future.

CDN6R

Jay,, you got to do,, what you got to do. At 21 I got my 1st motorcycle and I was hooked. Had quite a few bikes then 1989,,I sold my beloved GSXR and put the $$ towards a house. Got married in 1990 and sold all my bass guitar gear to help fix up the house. My wife was still in school and worked to get her degree (B.Ed). Then she spent 5 years trying to get a full time job (mainly subbing) teaching with no luck.. with me being the bread winner I paid for all the house/car/ payments/repairs. So with no full time job,she decided to do home tutoring and I sent $5000 on a new office for her. All this with no bike,or bass guitar stuff. Fast forward,,now we have 2 kids..boy/girl, my wife has her 3rd Degree (Masters in Education) a full time teaching job (for the past 8 years),,she now makes more than I did when I worked..(I am now retired from a tire factory,,Michelin) and our combined income is alot more than it was 10 years ago,(my pension and her pay cheque). We also have a pool in our back yard and a 20x24 foot garage. At home I am Mr .Mom and I am loving it. Did I miss my years of no bikes?? Sure I did... Did I miss not playing bass guitar??? Sure,,but now I am in a band playing amd there is a bike in my future. My point is..life is full of choises,, your family comes 1st. There will be time for a motorcycle later. Laurie

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the advice. Going to try the next few weeks to see how things work out and if it has to be I will try sell it. Really looking at getting a part time myself in the evenings a couple days a week. Even delivering pizzas for a few months say Friday and Saturday evenings. Still get all day to do family stuff, ride, fish, etc and then go make some extra money. This way too we can have the time to find something that she will actually enjoy while going to school. I dont want to give up just yet but I am prepared too if it comes down to it.

Thanks for letting me speak out and get it all off my chest. Appreciate it.

Fizzer6R

the motorcycle payment is high. there is absolutely no shame in getting rid of something you can't afford. it takes more to make a man do this, instead of lying to himself and put their family further in debt.

look at it this way, getting rid of the bike will motivate you even more to save $ and get another one

ksanbon

Thanks for letting me speak out and get it all off my chest. Appreciate it.
J,

Thanks for always sharing your feelings about the ups & downs in your life. You picked a great place to do it. We all need reminders to keep things in the proper perspective, and life lessons are usually the best.
I'm sorry that you're facing such a tough decision. Keep a positive attitude and everything will work for the best.

BTW, if you move down here, I'll share my bike with you.
keith

Deputyfarva252

I sold mine at back in feb. I got just what I owed on it plus 15 bucks that was it , its a gut punch for sure but itll pay off in the long run. My wife is going back to school now , and works part time , in a couple years when she starts working , Ill be going right the dealership and buying what I want off the showroom floor , until then I just have to ride a bicycle with a card in the spokes and make motorcycle noises , itll all work out eventually , family comes first , toys come later , Im not going to sacrifice a bunch of my time and lose out on family time for a toy......