The SEARCH feature

Barkwindjammer

There are 51 sections in this forum/site in which to make contributions in ?, I make no apology for repeating this THIS SITE IS WAAAAAY TOO BIG, I'll make a suggestion for 5 sections

1 General discussion (guns, movies, girlfriends, pizza etc, oh and biking stuff)

2 the workshop

3 Buying/selling/recomendations/Vendors/experiences

4 Events/meetings/rideouts

5 Forum help

motto: K I S S ;)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
There are 51 sections in this forum/site in which to make contributions in ?, I make no apology for repeating this THIS SITE IS WAAAAAY TOO BIG, I'll make a suggestion for 5 sections

1 General discussion (guns, movies, girlfriends, pizza etc, oh and biking stuff)

2 the workshop

3 Buying/selling/recomendations/Vendors/experiences

4 Events/meetings/rideouts

5 Forum help

motto: K I S S ;)
You seem to be the only one having difficulty with the size of the site. Yes, there are a large number of sections, but you can easily tell which ones have threads in them and which ones do not. They are clearly labeled with icons as well as thread/post counts.

The reason there are so many sections is to simplify things as we grow. As the number of members increases, the number of threads and posts will increase. If your logic were true, 51 sections could be condensed into 5-6. However, that means that topics related to the bikes would be lumped into the same section that contained topics about our favorite foods. That means you will have to search through multiple pages of the same section just to find threads related to a given topic. That seems less efficient than having multiple sections devoted to specific areas of interest. At least this way I can see which bike-related areas have new threads/posts without wading through endless pages about how awesome the latest movies were or how some idiot did something stupid on youtube.

That's just my opinion.

Heineken

Elite Member

joloy133

I'm happy with this site as is. Moderators are attentive and it seems easy enough to navigate through........IMO

Barkwindjammer

I'm happy with this site as is. Moderators are attentive and it seems easy enough to navigate through........IMO
Ok, scenario: you've not been on forum for a couple of days, you have a slight recollection about a post where someone mentioned a seat that they had custom made, this was posted in the section USA/USA northeast-however this is the vital bit of information that you dont remember-so you type 'seat' into search and what are you confronted with?, yep thats right lots and lots of threads that 'seem familiar', so you start to pick your way through trying to find what it was you were looking for.

Time will tell if I'm talking out my chocolate starfish,

I'm not criticising in a negative form, on the contrary.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

porky45

so you type 'seat' into search and what are you confronted with?, yep that's right lots and lots of threads that 'seem familiar', so you start to pick your way through trying to find what it was you were looking for.
As tedious as you make that out to be... I've learned far more and had so many questions answered that I had yet to think of by reading ALL the way through those "familiar" threads.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, scenario: you've not been on forum for a couple of days, you have a slight recollection about a post where someone mentioned a seat that they had custom made, this was posted in the section USA/USA northeast-however this is the vital bit of information that you dont remember-so you type 'seat' into search and what are you confronted with?, yep thats right lots and lots of threads that 'seem familiar', so you start to pick your way through trying to find what it was you were looking for.

Time will tell if I'm talking out my chocolate starfish,

I'm not criticizing in a negative form, on the contrary.
If that is the case, then you should blame the person that made the thread for putting it in the wrong section. A custom seat would go under the "Mods or Vendors" section, depending on if they made it themselves or bought it, duh! :spank::spank::banghead::banghead: Just kidding.

No, in all seriousness, a less vague search would probably turn up what you were looking for. And like the others said, you can always subscribe to an interesting thread.

Barkwindjammer

I hear what your saying, so why is this post started in FZ6R GENERAL DISCUSSION, should it not be posted in the BAR,, if there was a FORUM HELP section it would fit in there perfectly,
every town and city all over the planet has a library, these have been around since antiquity-go along and have a look, are there 51 sections to contain all that wisdom and knowledge?.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Seems like that is the standard on most forums... I hate it. There might not be that many 3 letter words, but it sure sucks when there is one you are trying to search for! Not sure if it can be changed, but if it can, I am for it.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure it can be changed, but if you include another inquiry word with it, you should get better results (ie "gps mount" or "gps unit"). Or, if you can narrow down which sub-forum you would like to search, that will help too.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

joloy133

Ouch! Seems like a lot of headaches happening! Theres also the new posts feature. This can be used to ID/filter the not-properly-searched posts, avoiding the overly-repetitive-post headache syndrome. :D Survive and Thrive!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting idea...

bmw675

its a good idea, but...
those that are too lazy to search for keywords, probably wont look through the list that is generated in front of them.
but it may cut down on repetetive threads.