The DSLR Picture Thread!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

BoneJj

You will need to shoot wide open with that lens and be rather zoomed in if you want to get close to that level of DoF. The problem you will have with your current lens is the f/ is not fast enough to get the that with the viewing angle of that picture.

I would highly recommend start off with the 50mm f/1.8 and then upgrade later once you decide if you like that kind of stuff or not. It's a 100 dollar lens, pretty much the cheapest lens out there right now and it's pretty good quality.

danieljardim

Thanks everybody for all the feedback. (thats why I love it here). I guess my first step is learn and understand the camera. I will keep you guys posted on my progress :)

Grumpy

Though Prime lenses are your best bet, any lens will produce the desired effect once proper DoF is calculated. Though a lesson on DoF for a novice can be complex, e.g. hyper-focal distance, near field/far field, circle of confusion, etc.

Just shoot a number of subjects with the camera in manual or "AP" or Aperture Priority mode. I prefer manual mode for the novice as it will get you used to using your meter and meter modes.

dcBear78

Lenses.... Once you start buying is hard to stop. LBA - Lens Buyers Addiction.

I bought my Pentax K-30 with kit 18-55mm lens at xmas ~$600

Since then I have added:

The 18-135mm is optically superior to the kit lens and adds weather resistance (to go with my camera). I got both the DA18-135 and DA35 second hand for $350.

So in under 6 months I have now spent $1850 on lenses alone. And the next lens I want is about $1k but it is just a better version of the DA35 (FA31), so no real hurry as I already got this focal length covered well enough. But it is a mighty special lens..... hmmm.

Grumpy

When I'm out and about I only carry three lenses. A 55mm, 90mm, and 200mm plus a 2x converter. You can ruffly divide those lenses in half to get a 35mm camera conversion as I mainly shoot medium format. No need for a zoom as you can always change lenses or take a step forward or back if needed. :)

BoneJj

When I'm out and about I only carry three lenses. A 55mm, 90mm, and 200mm plus a 2x converter. You can ruffly divide those lenses in half to get a 35mm camera conversion as I mainly shoot medium format. No need for a zoom as you can always change lenses or take a step forward or back if needed. :)
I kind of agree with what you're saying to a degree, I personally love my primes. my 50mm f/1.4 and 100mm Macro f/2.8 are my favorites and typically get the most use. Though I use my 70-300mm a lot as well. I want to replace it with a 100-400 though. That's a great lens for my needs, especially when I go to see my nephew's soccer games now that they have him on the larger fields. Though I haven't been able to go to a game for a while due to school.

I would love to a 2x converter though, that would a be a beast to have.

I think zooms have their place while primes have their place as well. I like having a couple closer primes at the same time has having a good zoom. It just depends on the type of environment you are in.

Grumpy

I kind of agree with what you're saying to a degree, I personally love my primes. my 50mm f/1.4 and 100mm Macro f/2.8 are my favorites and typically get the most use. Though I use my 70-300mm a lot as well. I want to replace it with a 100-400 though. That's a great lens for my needs, especially when I go to see my nephew's soccer games now that they have him on the larger fields. Though I haven't been able to go to a game for a while due to school.

I would love to a 2x converter though, that would a be a beast to have.

I think zooms have their place while primes have their place as well. I like having a couple closer primes at the same time has having a good zoom. It just depends on the type of environment you are in.
When I did nature and sports with my 35mm's I used only two lenses. An 800F5 and a 400F5. Primes are what you want for resolution but i do agree zooms have a place as well. Something like those two monsters isn't something you carry around two long. LMAO

arse

Oldie but a goodie

Canon t2i Rokinon fisheye

Bert-Aus

Arse that shot is awesome

The whole calamitous mess of the shed juxtaposed with the shiny bike & helmet and just to finish off with Xmas/fairy lights ...puts my OCD organised shed to shame

BoneJj

When I did nature and sports with my 35mm's I used only two lenses. An 800F5 and a 400F5. Primes are what you want for resolution but i do agree zooms have a place as well. Something like those two monsters isn't something you carry around two long. LMAO
the 400 I could probably get away with for quite some time but the 800, I might as well just haul a damn 4 wheeler out to the games just to move the gear around. lol, okay a little bit of an exaggeration. I had the opportunity to mess with one of those a while back and loved it but I just don't have a legit enough need for something of that nature. Most of my work has always been portraiture and macro. Though I haven't even been able to do much of anything the last 2 years since I decided to go back to school... My poor camera, I'm going to need all new batteries after too much longer...

I need to mess with my camera for a few days after the semester is over.

dcBear78

Just did a test shot for a series of photos I want to take and print as a mothers day gift. Glad I did a test run cause it didn't go exactly to plan, but now I will be ready for the reals shots. Still not a bad result though.

Ella Bubbles by dcBear78, on Flickr

dcBear78

ANZAC public holiday here in Australia yesterday where we remember those who have served and lost their lives fighting in wars for Australia (and New Zealand). I work shift work so was not able to make it to the dawn service. But as I left work I saw the most magnificent big bright moon and thought I would go down to the war memorial and see if I could get some decent night time shots.

Gladstone Memorial by dcBear78, on Flickr

ANZAC Memorial by dcBear78, on Flickr

Moonlit ANZAC Memorial by dcBear78, on Flickr

As I was shooting I looked up and saw the Southern Cross in the sky directly above the memorial. I thought that this would be a real fitting addition to the shot.

Gladstone Memorial under the Southern Cross by dcBear78, on Flickr

Memorial and Southern Cross by dcBear78, on Flickr

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

BoneJj

Kristen and I have been in NorCal since Saturday on vacation. We're in Monterey tonight. I've taken a ton of pics. Here's just a few I've gone through. I'll post up a link to some more when I get things sorted.

Monterey Bay Aquarium today
I've always wanted to go to an aquarium and take pictures with a tripod. Though I need to get a new one as I broke mine not that long ago...

JonKerr

Elite Member

BoneJj

That's all done free hand with a 18-55mm Canon lens with IS. Main challenge shooting in there is actually the quality of the water and clarity of the acrylic tanks.

Here are links to my Facebook albums I just finished making. WAY too many pics to post up on here. Some are just typical cheezy tourist pics, but there's a handful in there that I took some time with and really tried to get some good shots. There's some from Alcatraz that I'm gong to try and switch to B&W and play with the exposures a little. I think they'll come out nice.

San Francisco and Alcatraz Photos

Monterey Bay Aquarium Photos
Very nice, and yeah, just a few photos.

that was with the kit lens? interesting. What ISO were you using at the time? I tend to try to stay in full manual mode when I'm shooting though sometimes I have to move to Aperture or shutter priority to stay with the subjects if they are running around. I utterly despise auto modes though.

I need to get back out shooting though, I should just go for a walk with the camera one day. Though it is that nasty time of year down here where everything wants to attack you outside... Mosquitoes have come out with a vengeance this year!