Stands

I would suggest, and others would too, to change your oil well before 600 miles.

When I changed mine, there were LOTS of shiny bits, and that was my second oil change at 3000 miles. I'm going to be changing my oil a lot sooner than the 3 or 4K intervals that the manual recommends. Also, I did get the K&N filter :thumbup:

GPI Industries stands

I looked at a lot of different stands, from inexpensive generic imports to top-dollar Pit Bulls, and finally chose the GPI Industries "GP Pro Series Race Stand Package," largely based on positive comments in other MC forums. I haven't seen them mentioned here, so I thought I'd do a short review. The usual disclaimer applies: I have no connection to the vendor, other than being a satisfied customer.

I bought the stands from GPI Industries' eBay store for around $132 with shipping and received them within three business days. The ones I got are the discounted "Factory Blemish" stands, but aside from some wrinkles in the decals, I don't see any flaws.

The stands (front and rear are identical, except for the attachments) are a simple and solid design, made from hefty 1-3/8" mandrel bent steel tubing. There's no additional bracing, but it doesn't seem at all necessary. Each wheel (two per stand) mounts on a solid steel stub axle welded to the frame. Assembly is minimal, and there's very little that could go wrong.

The universal rear swingarm attachments are sturdy, horizontal-T-shaped pieces with a thick rubber covers. They don't interfere with the rear sprocket, and they are adjustable laterally to cradle the swingarm firmly. Spool-style attachments are included as well, but I haven't used them.

In front, there are L-shaped attachments with rubber-covered fingers to lift the forks. When oriented correctly, the fork attachments allow easy access to the front axle. I say "when oriented correctly," because the attachments hang upside down when not in use, so they need to be held in position when the stand is placed under the forks. This is shown clearly in the instructions, but it's a possible source of error. A counterbalance or spring to keep the attachment right-side-up would be a minor improvement.

So, how do they work? Great! Lifting and lowering is absolutely smooth and stable, with zero wiggle, flex, or anxiety. I felt completely comfortable using the stands without assistance, just a block of 2x4 under the sidestand to keep the bike near vertical. Once the bike is up, it's completely solid.

The verdict: Excellent quality and performance for a very reasonable price. I've only had the stands for a few days, but based on the initial quality and the lifetime warranty, these should serve me just about forever.

I just bought Pit Bull stands. I guess it goes without saying that I love them and they are the best stands I could imagine money buying. If you are willing to spend the money, I highly recommend them.

Friend said that the Harbor Freight stand is collapsible... so you're screwed if it collapses with the bike on it and you working underneath it.

Anyone had issues or concerns with this etc?

Friend said that the Harbor Freight stand is collapsible... so you're screwed if it collapses with the bike on it and you working underneath it.

Anyone had issues or concerns with this etc?

The HF stand we are talking about here is impossible to be collapsible. There is no way for it to fold up. You friend must be thinking of some other type of stand. I have this HF stand and it's worked out great. I use it once a week to lube my chain...And for $40, you can't beat that! I have no complaints about it. Yeah, you could get a fancier looking stand for a lot more $, but I rather use that money elsewhere on my bike then brag about some cool stand I have sitting in my garage.

my personal opinion.. don't cheap out on the front head stand, if you get a head stand. Other than that, any of the brands work just fine. get a pitbull if you get a head stand, my dmp bent and I couldn't take my tire warmers off because the bike was sitting on them.

my personal opinion.. don't cheap out on the front head stand, if you get a head stand. Other than that, any of the brands work just fine. get a pitbull if you get a head stand, my dmp bent and I couldn't take my tire warmers off because the bike was sitting on them.

I don't have the money for a head stand yet... just a rear. So I think I'll just go with harbor freight. Hope it doesn't crap out on me because I'm out of money!

I think it would be collapsible only if you were trying to wheel your bike around the garage/driveway/block(!) with the bike ON the stand.

Logistically though, I'm at odds how to get the bike onto the stand w/o any 2nd party assistance. I've seen the videos online on how to do it; however, they're all guys who have a bit more muscle! And while the HF stand is probably made in China, this is a 145#, 5'9" Chinaman trying not to drop a $7K bike using a $40 stand!

I think it would be collapsible only if you were trying to wheel your bike around the garage/driveway/block(!) with the bike ON the stand.

Logistically though, I'm at odds how to get the bike onto the stand w/o any 2nd party assistance. I've seen the videos online on how to do it; however, they're all guys who have a bit more muscle! And while the HF stand is probably made in China, this is a 145#, 5'9" Chinaman trying not to drop a $7K bike using a $40 stand!

I always put a brick under the sidestand. Then I don't have to worry about holding the bike upright and getting it on the stand at the same time. This allows me to focus on one thing at a time.

I always put a brick under the sidestand. Then I don't have to worry about holding the bike upright and getting it on the stand at the same time. This allows me to focus on one thing at a time.

I do the exact same thing. The brick stays with my stand (cheapest tool I have!). Actually, I think I probably got this idea from you initially, 99.

I put the kick stand on the brick, then place the stand behind the bike in position. I then stand on the right side of the bike, grab the left side of the passenger hand grip with my right hand and push down on the stand with my left hand/foot directing the bike up onto the stand. That way, if the bike begins to tip towards me, i can tip it to the left where it will land on the kick stand.

I do the exact same thing. The brick stays with my stand (cheapest tool I have!). Actually, I think I probably got this idea from you initially, 99.

I put the kick stand on the brick, then place the stand behind the bike in position. I then stand on the right side of the bike, grab the left side of the passenger hand grip with my right hand and push down on the stand with my left hand/foot directing the bike up onto the stand. That way, if the bike begins to tip towards me, i can tip it to the left where it will land on the kick stand.

I guess this is safer than the balancing act I do!:eek:

I guess this is safer than the balancing act I do!:eek:

Definitely try the brick or I sometimes use a 2x4. Makes a huge difference. The height of the brick almost levels the bike out. Just make sure your on the right side when the brick is in place. When you bring the bike down, remove the brick.

Back