some a$$hole tried to steal my bike

BustedKnuckle

apparently he was trying to break the steering lock and the handle bars slipped forward and the steel bent, so anyway I need new bars and a ignition since my key wont fit anymore (yay for uneeded upgrages I was going to wait on?)

I want to order the renthal handlebars, but on the how to thread its mentioned that he had to rethread the renthal bar ends for his to fit, mine are stock bar ends which I plan to reuse, so do I still have to rethread the renthal bars for the stock bar ends to fit?

lytehouse

Super Moderator
Wankers! Glad they didn't succeed.....

Will insurance help you with any of the costs?

BustedKnuckle

$1000 deductible

which I will now be changing to a $500 deductible, yamaha quoted me $190 for the ignition plus keys and $90 to install, Im ordering and installing the bars myself just going to order the renthal bar ends as well to answer my own question, and thats coming to about $100, but I'll need a tow to the dealer to.......so looking at under $400 but I'm now going to invest in a two way alarm, which will hopefully alert me and my rifle for next time.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BustedKnuckle

sit on the bike

grab the right side bar, put foot on left side bar, push with leg, pull with arm to break the steering lock. but the bars slipped and busted instead, almost happy the bars bent, aint driving that thing off now.

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

This sucks, first of all i just hate bad people and there are way too many of them. Second if your going to steal a bike cant you go hit up a Ducati or some other rich person bike, they can probably afford replacements. Leave our little FZ6Rs alone :)

Glad they didn't get it and hope your back on the road quick.

Nmexico

This is the 1st time I have heard of someone trying to steal a FZ, usually its the GSXRs, CBRs, R1, Ninjas.
Our insurance rates are dirt cheap at least for me, full coverage is around 280 bucks a year for me.

RedRider

And where did this happen just so I know to avoid the neighborhood...I kid but whoever did that must have been some punk a$$ kid. I love that the FZ6R is so low key and you figure thieves would target something else so like others have said, a bit surprising. Hope you get her fixed up quick and back on the road.

BustedKnuckle

there are lots of youtube videos

out there of people using that technique to break the steering lock, and its my only guess on what happened because thankfully the bike didn't get knocked over.

Parts are in the mail and on the way, should be good to go by next week, sucks the weather is really nice this weekend. it happened in a apartment complex and believe it or not, I'm in the nicer part of Albuquerque, I also have the nicest bike of anyone at my apartments though, but for real these idiots haven't heard of a R6 or something, I mean if I'm going to steal a bike.....

Last edited:

Nmexico

Yeah, used FZ6R parts barely move on Ebay. Thieves need a direction sign ( this bike's parts have no resale value) ;)

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

lark

sounds like an amateur thief who doesn't know anything about stealing bikes or which bikes are more profitable?! probably just wanted to joy ride a cool looking bike. glad it didn't get disappeared, and sounds like you will enjoy the new upgrades :)

BustedKnuckle

update, all fixed and improved

got the bike back this last Wednesday, apparently the Yamaha dealership had to take an air hammer to the ignition and beat it out :jawdrop:, also I guess a 1.5 hour job takes them nearly 3 days?

I went with the renthal ultra low bars and bar ends, also added new grips and levers as well as zx6r mirrors, all seems to be well my only complaint is the renthal bar ends maybe weigh a 3rd of what the stock ends do, definitely feeling more vibrations especially in my throttle hand, but I would say handling has improved, just happy to have my baby back. Oh yeah got the alarm installed too, dirty b@stards.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

BustedKnuckle

Yep they're non threaded, the renthal bar ends just friction fit via a screw that expands steel wings when tightened in place, will definitely look at those Suzuki ends

lytehouse

Super Moderator
Looks great and I hope to see this pic:

entered into the bike of the month contest sometime!