FZ1 Bar install

pavmentsurfer

I finally got my bars in the mail. I got them from Ebay. They are FZ1 spec but are not stock FZ1 bars. I didnt want silver bars and these were a bit cheaper. They look and feel great.

Installation was pretty straight forward. I started by removing the front brake lever, then loosening all the controls. Then undoing the bar mounts and pulling the bar off... then sliding the controls off the stock bar. I ended up breaking the little positioning nubs on the controls during removal which, in the end, wasn't a problem as they wouldn't have been in the right spot once the bars were installed.

Removing the left grip was the hardest part of all. I pried it off without damaging it so that was good. The bars I bought were designed to use stock yamaha bar ends so they were re-used.

I started the re-install by sliding the controls back on the new bars and leaving them loose. Then clamping the bar into the mounts loose. I adjusted things in series until it all fit and felt correct. I installed the left grip using some windex. Slipped right on. Then I used a compressor to blow air between the grip and bar to dry out the windex.

Getting the controls tight was difficult only because the new bar has them so low you can't get a screw driver between them and the tank to tighten them up. I finally got it done, but it wasn't easy.

The new bars have drastically changed the way I feel on the bike. Who would have thought only a few inches could make such a big difference. I feel like I'm leaning forward more but its actually MORE comfortable than the stock bars. Wind protection is better too. I actually noticed a mild difference in handling. Seems to react quicker to inputs.

Only clearance issues I ran into were with the clutch and brake lever on the tip of the fairing just behind the windshield. With the bars set as low as I wanted them, they and with the levers set to where I liked them best, they would contact the fairing. In this low position the left and right switch clusters hit the tank as well. I moved the bars up a bit, just far enough that I have about 1/8 clearance between the switch cluster and the tank at full lock, and rotated the levers up a bit and there are now NO clearance issues. The bars still feel great and while id like the levers to be down just a hair lower, I can more than live with them the way they are.

Overall, for $100... this has been one of the best upgrades I've made so far. Now onto the pics:

pavmentsurfer

Heres a link to the actual listing. You can get the bar in many colours.

Proto FZ1 Handlebar

JBAX

PavementSurfer....(Thread resurrection attempt)

Still loving the Proto bar set up?

I want to get more forward lean and get lower, and am thinking a straight bar like the proto is a good start (compared to the stock high rise bars)

Whenever I sit on a SS bike, it feels very natural to me. Where the FZ6R feels too upright.

Any additional thoughts now that you have been running the handlebar set up for a while?

Thanks in advance.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

JBAX

Had the bars since Fall. But only finally got with my mechanic/friend and swapped the risers to the forward position and put on my Proto (flat/Drag) Bars on. (same make-model as pavementsurfers from ebay).

These flat bars feel so much better (to me) than the OE bars with rise and sweep. I felt like the stock bars had my arms and shoulders in an unnatural position. And I wanted to get forward and a little lower without going full clip ons. (or mucking around with cutting fairings and/or dropping front end even more)

I had ZERO issues with bars/controls hitting tank at full lock with the risers were flopped to be in the forward position. But my front end is lowered 1cm (fork stantions brought up through the triple tree by that much.) so that may have helped with clearance some.

It's 35f in CT, but I did a quick 15min ride. I like the position my upper body is in, the weight distribution of my torso and the more confortable bend in my arms, compared to stock.

Can't wait for SPRING to see how it feels longer term. (and if someone would change the forecast to NOT be for more snow on Friday-Saturday, that'd be just dandy.)

But I have a feeling this was a great cheap mod for me.
(FYI I'm 5'8" but have a short inseem 29-30" and longer torso)

Thanks to pavementsurfer for the detailed post and for planting the seed to make this small change.

Sandyman

Had the bars since Fall. But only finally got with my mechanic/friend and swapped the risers to the forward position and put on my Proto (flat/Drag) Bars on. (same make-model as pavementsurfers from ebay).

These flat bars feel so much better (to me) than the OE bars with rise and sweep. I felt like the stock bars had my arms and shoulders in an unnatural position. And I wanted to get forward and a little lower without going full clip ons. (or mucking around with cutting fairings and/or dropping front end even more)

I had ZERO issues with bars/controls hitting tank at full lock with the risers were flopped to be in the forward position. But my front end is lowered 1cm (fork stantions brought up through the triple tree by that much.) so that may have helped with clearance some.

It's 35f in CT, but I did a quick 15min ride. I like the position my upper body is in, the weight distribution of my torso and the more confortable bend in my arms, compared to stock.

Can't wait for SPRING to see how it feels longer term. (and if someone would change the forecast to NOT be for more snow on Friday-Saturday, that'd be just dandy.)

But I have a feeling this was a great cheap mod for me.
(FYI I'm 5'8" but have a short inseem 29-30" and longer torso)

Thanks to pavementsurfer for the detailed post and for planting the seed to make this small change.
I did mine around Christmas time and have since put about a few thousand miles on the bike (primary commuter ~600+ miles per week) and I couldn't be happier. If anyone is thinking about doing this I highly recommend going for it.

pavmentsurfer

Thanks for the nice comments and updates guys. Im sorry I havent posted any updates of my own. Truth is, about 2 weeks after i put the bars on our season ended. I got to ride a few hundred KM (under 200 miles) with the new bars but I have to say, I really really liked it. I rod the bike from my storage building home today and liked it again... though it was 0 degrees... so a little chilly.

The price of the bars was about $50US on eBay but I had to pay pretty steep shipping to canada and then pay the exchange rate. So it ends up being about $100 for me. Maybe cheaper for others. I think, overall, the look and feel of the bike is improved in a big way. I feel like I'm in a better position to ride more aggressively but somehow I'm also more comfortable.

Ill be interested to see everyone elses setups after the bar install.

DummySmacks

Thanks for the nice comments and updates guys. Im sorry I havent posted any updates of my own. Truth is, about 2 weeks after i put the bars on our season ended. I got to ride a few hundred KM (under 200 miles) with the new bars but I have to say, I really really liked it. I rod the bike from my storage building home today and liked it again... though it was 0 degrees... so a little chilly.

The price of the bars was about $50US on eBay but I had to pay pretty steep shipping to canada and then pay the exchange rate. So it ends up being about $100 for me. Maybe cheaper for others. I think, overall, the look and feel of the bike is improved in a big way. I feel like I'm in a better position to ride more aggressively but somehow I'm also more comfortable.

Ill be interested to see everyone elses setups after the bar install.
Since you did away with the nubs on the controls, have you had any issues with the controls moving? I'm thinking of swapping my handlebars but don't want to drill holes in the new bars.

Chucker

I think I only had to drill one hole in my bars. Wasn't a big deal, so
i'm not sure why you wouldn't want to do it.

Nubz

Well of those work as good as they look you've got it made.

Really liking the look of them.
I'll have to do some measuring and see if I would be comfortable with something like that.

HoosierDaddy?

FZ1 Bar Install Photos

Photos of my install to assist those of you that will be undertaking this mod.

Attachments

internalwealth

Just picked up a pair of FZ1 bars, any chance anyone has removed that little tab that holds the stock plastic clip? I want them as clean as possible when I install.