Riding Fast

JSP

Super Moderator
How long did it take you to start going over 50 mph when you first started riding?

2 gear shifts... ;)

Seriously though, it was never a barrier, for me at least. Grew up riding little trail bikes and I would push those to 50 any chance I had. First street bike I got, i jumped right on the highway with it.

Sage

I'm in the same boat jspansel is, I rode a little before taking the MSF, then took the bike highway speeds the first day seeing how I was required to just to reach my house. Wasn't really a barrier for me to pass.

Spunky99

I had 325 miles on the bike when I popped 115 for a moment during breakin...

superman2079

I've only ridden my bike ten times and this is my first motorcycle ever. I just feel like im going to fly off and the wind is only blowing about 15 mph, but i still cant get over 55mph.

Spunky99

I've only ridden my bike ten times and this is my first motorcycle ever. I just feel like im going to fly off and the wind is only blowing about 15 mph, but i still cant get over 55mph.
Turn the thingie on the right handlebar a lot more....

Patek86

Had to stay with the flow of traffic on the ride home. It wasn't safe to drive slow. So I went 55 in the first 10 minutes of owning.

Jaralaccs

35 probably for the first week
I had a slow bike to start with so I never really went over 50/55

The wind gets more tolerable the more you ride

CrazyCawi

I know how you feel dude, when I first got my SECA 750 I was scared Sh^t less, the first 5-10 rides id get off my bike just shaking from nerves and adrenaline, but it gets better the more you ride. I hit my first set of cross winds the second week owning the bike, I wanted to pull over I was so nervous as it was 30mph cross winds and semi's all around, but I tucked in and stuck it out! now I'm just craving the feeling of sliding through all of my new baby's gears as winter comes slowly to a halt

Spunky99

I put on a +1 front sprocket right away so it's a little tough to keep my bike under 50 in any gear.

I remember when I was 14 and got a 90cc motorcycle and I stayed at 35 for the first couple of time I rode it in the dirt. I got passed up by a souped up moped and I've had the throttle wide open ever since. How embarrassing to be beat by a moped....

CrazyCawi

lol...that is a little embarrassing :p

Spunky99

lol...that is a little embarrassing :p
I was 14 with only a couple of hours riding around a small track and he was 18 with years of racing the moped on the track. My Dad asked me if I was gonna let that dude make me look bad and I figured out how to crash my bike right after. When in doubt full throttle until you figure out what you are doing I say...I wonder if that's why they call me "Crash and Burn"...fastest dude on the track for about 1/2 a lap....LOL...

bigguybbr

I ended up taking about 4-5 hours after getting a bike to break 50, not that it was intentional. I went out and practiced on back roads for the day, getting the stalls out of my system, then had a friend come over on his bike to take me for a slow ride on back roads. Well we did back roads for about 20 something minutes, then he spaced out, got on the highway, and I followed em for a few exits. I was still pretty new, so I got off after a few exits and didn't make it much over 70mph.

I do remember the feeling man. I didn't grow up riding dirt bikes (no public land in CT is legal to ride on) so I didn't have anything other than bicycle experience. The more you do it however, the more you get used to it (unless you don't, and become one of the many people every year who rushes into buying a bike, only to find out it's not for them within a year).

There are a few things you can do if the wind is really bothering you. Firstly you can change to a raised bubble wind screen. It helps to divert some air up and around your body. Next, don't wear a backpack when you just start out. It increases your profile, and makes the wind seem that much stronger when you catch a cross wind on your bike, and since the weight is way high up over your center of gravity, it makes you feel even more tippy. Lastly, try not to wear anything too baggy. My first jacket was fairly loose like you would wear your normal winter coat. It wasn't until I switched to a more form fitting (tight) jacket that I realized how much that old jacket was billowing in the wind like a sail. You'd be surprised how much longer you can ride, with a lot less fatigue, when you aren't battling the wind.

On a side note, make sure you wear ear plugs too, wind noise can also lead to fatigue, in addition to permanent tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Keep with it buddy.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

CrazyCawi

Lastly, try not to wear anything too baggy. My first jacket was fairly loose like you would wear your normal winter coat. It wasn't until I switched to a more form fitting (tight) jacket that I realized how much that old jacket was billowing in the wind like a sail.
What about the chubby guys, tight leather coats dont always work lol :beer:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member