R6 Headers

JonKerr

Elite Member

cavcuz05

well i got my header and slip-on on and i found i have a slight exhaust leak on on of the header ports...everything else works like a charm...however bad news...If you do this mod you will need a power commander cause of how rich you run seeing as you basically have a straight pipe...:rant:

ill post pics of my set up as soon as i finish

cbzdel

well i got my header and slip-on on and i found i have a slight exhaust leak on on of the header ports...everything else works like a charm...however bad news...If you do this mod you will need a power commander cause of how rich you run seeing as you basically have a straight pipe...:rant:

Wouldnt it be more lean because its more free flowing?

cavcuz05

not sure all i know is im throwing fire balls and have a rediculious smell of gas fumes...hopfully ill get the PC end of nov then get my custom map and dyno...after all this ill def throw up pics and vids...trust me it looks sweet just runs like garbage

ginner

n00b!

Hi Guys,

I've read through this thread and now its got me really interested in trying something similar on my Yammi.

This is my senario, I live in the UK and I have the '09 XJ6N. Its my first bike and I am a complete noob at anything mechanical, I'm more of a techy in the sense I install Satellite TV by trade. Not that that helps me here but I'm just trying to give you the whole picture in terms of "me". I recently fitted a K&N air filter, purely so it doesn't need replacing anytime soon, however this and a tail tidy is the total of my experience modding my bike.

I've had a look on eBay and i've come across this. Yamaha R6 5SL 03-05 Standard Exhaust System on eBay (end time 14-Feb-10 21:11:54 GMT) Firstly, am I looking at the correct R6 headers? and does anyone know if this has been done on the XJ6? I don't think I'd be attempting the installation myself but I know if a really good independant bike mechanic a few miles away. I think with the info on here and his years of experience this should be a doddle for him. I wouldn't want to use the silencer from the auction but is the rest of the kit suitable? if so I think I'll take the plunge and then buy a different end can.

My wife thinks I'm mad, only had a bike since August and I'm hooked on it.

Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

pilninggas

Have you mounted the lambda sensor on the exhaust (using a weld on lambda boss)?

If no, id say this is why its rich. if the lambda is loose its sniffing free air and the ecu will think the engine is lean and dump in more fuel.

It will do the same thing if the lambda is not connected, as being rich is less harmful to the engine than being lean (bore-washing aside).

my full explanation of the ways to deal with lambda feedback are in this post:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/tbr-my-yamaha-xj6-18499/

merv

cavcuz05

UPDATE: should hve my bike back on sat if all goes well...weather finally will be in the 40's so i can ride it home and hear for myself as to what my exhaust sounds like...il also make a HOW TO post on exactly what was done "to the best of my abilities"

rjsantana20

Hey guys, did anyone complete their R6 headers/slip-on conversion?

Some pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob