poor mpg with new bike ???

engineered2win

I don't know if it has to do with me ridding upper 30's-40's out side I was thinking the bike would do better if it was running closer to 200 derg. than 163 going down the free way ;)
I've put about 700 miles on my bike in 2014 so far and the bike is up to 160*F within a half mile from my house and never drops below 180*F even on the highway when temps are in the 30s (*F). Sounds like you may have a thermostat failing open if your bike isn't getting up to operating temperature. Warmup enrichment being on all the time due to low coolant temps will put a damper on fuel economy.

Get that sorted out and finish your break in period before you start worrying about fuel economy. As the rings seat, your compression will increase along with power and fuel economy. Not to start a debate about break in method, but I don't baby my engines during the "break in" period. For reference, by 500 miles on my FZ6R I was getting ~45mpg on mostly country roads, winter fuel, and riding 'with gusto'.

One aspect of the 6R I'm disappointed with is the engine controls. Yamaha chose to run completely Alpha-N (rpm & tps) and with no open loop feedback via o2 sensor, so the engine is rather inefficient while cruising. I'm seriously considering following Marthy and adding a MAP sensor, when I install my Power Commander so I can have 3D fuel maps (rpm vs tps vs map).

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

SixRFixR

Warmup enrichment being on all the time due to low coolant temps will put a damper on fuel economy.
There shouldn't be this much variability in a modern production motorcycle. Something is wrong with these low mpg bikes. Perhaps a bad sensor is keeping the fuel enrichment on as quoted above. I'd do a throttle body sync to see if there's a wonky injector.

engineered2win

There shouldn't be this much variability in a modern production motorcycle. Something is wrong with these low mpg bikes. Perhaps a bad sensor is keeping the fuel enrichment on as quoted above. I'd do a throttle body sync to see if there's a wonky injector.
These engines have very simple fuel injection. The only engine sensors are: water temp, air temp, and throttle position.

If he can confirm whether his bike is getting up to operating temperature (180-200*F), we can rule out water temp sensor and thermostat. A throttle body sync won't necessarily guarantee a properly functioning tps, but it will verify correct idle position and you can verify the tps is sweeping smoothly with a good multimeter while you're in there.

Sthpaw01

I just filled my tank for the first time today. My first tank (from the dealer) got me a total of 65 miles. That's just driving around town, no extended rides.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

travisH3

my bike i usually run about 130-150 miles on a tank. depending on miles and driving i usually put in 2.6 to 3.4 gallons and have been averaging about 44mpg running marthys sport map driving pretty hard because it sounds so good. not sure what the bike did before the mods though because they got put on almost right as i got it. 190lb rider usually backroads cruising. hope ya get it figured out

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Sthpaw01

Still had almost 2 gallons in there then. What was your fuel gauge reading when you hit 100 miles? You're getting almost 37mpg. It's lower then it should be, but not as bad as I thought when you said 100 miles on a tank. What RPM are you shifting at? Is you bike fully broken in?
My fuel gauge start flashing so it was going into "reserve" so I drove a couple of miles to the gas station and put in $10. The credit card reader at the pump wasn't working so I just paid for $10 at the counter. I may have been able to put more in but I don't know because that was the first I have ever filled a motorcycle tank. When I filled it the odometer read 65 miles. Its a brand spanking new bike.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

FastFreddy

Once you get used to riding it.
For break in, I gave it heaps of throttle but didn't rev past 7000 rpm.

After a month of break-in.
I was getting 350 km (218 mile) for a tank for freeway riding, sitting on about 50-60 mp/h. 350/17 = 20.5 km/l = 4.8l/100km.

20.5 km/l = (20.5x5/8)/(1/3.78) = 48 mpg

The temps were reading high during break-in for me, it was always going up to 105-7 degree C when idling at traffic lights.

Too much fuel won't hurt the engine in any case, it should keep it cooler.

I'd do 2 oil changes for break-in if its that tight.

If there's no MAF or MAP which comes as a shock, go easy on the right hand, progressive on the throttle, match the revs and load more with throttle position.

tanoz

I honestly found with my bike that 38mpg is was the best i could get. Keep in mind my riding is nearly purely city riding I'm okay with that.

I found that taking it out for a day or two and giving the engine a good run through the higher gears and revs helped it. This is after break in of course.

FastFreddy

One aspect of the 6R I'm disappointed with is the engine controls. Yamaha chose to run completely Alpha-N (rpm & tps) and with no open loop feedback via o2 sensor, so the engine is rather inefficient while cruising. I'm seriously considering following Marthy and adding a MAP sensor, when I install my Power Commander so I can have 3D fuel maps (rpm vs tps vs map).
You had me worried, I just checked the manual, page 1-3.
There is a MAP and intake temp sensor.
Plus TPS and coolant temp sensor.
I saw it was a 32 bit ECU in the sales brochure.

I couldn't see an O2 sensor in the manual. I think I've had my head under cars and bikes for too long, I'm imagining that there is a braided wire coming out the side of the exhaust. Maybe I'm breathing in the fumes from the engines too much ;) (Joke, from Happy Days reworked for FZ6R)

Last edited:

Sthpaw01

Are you sure the tank was full before this happened? I'd top it off to almost overflowing and reset the tripmeter. Ride like normal and whenever you fill up after this should give you an accurate mpg. If your tank isn't full right now it won't be accurate at next fill up.
I can't say the tank was full. It was the gas that came with delivery. When I filled it yesterday I thought I would have to pay a few bucks more to fill the tank so I'm not exactly sure that the gas I put in yesterday is made it a full tank. I forgot to reset the trip meter after filling up yesterday but when I take it back out I will see how much more gas can go in and reset the meter. Maybe I'm just shifting a little early and getting shi* for mpg's. I'm still a newb. ;-)

engineered2win

You had me worried, I just checked the manual, page 1-3.
There is a MAP and intake temp sensor.
Plus TPS and coolant temp sensor.
I saw it was a 32 bit ECU in the sales brochure.

I couldn't see an O2 sensor in the manual. I think I've had my head under cars and bikes for too long, I'm imagining that there is a braided wire coming out the side of the exhaust. Maybe I'm breathing in the fumes from the engines too much ;) (Joke, from Happy Days reworked for FZ6R)
USA bikes do not have an o2 sensor. I'm pretty sure the european XJ6's do have o2 sensors. I just checked and there is a MAP sensor located next to the TPS.
The additional MAP sensor is for the power commander, which by default only references rpm and throttle position.

Invader Jim

I can't say the tank was full. It was the gas that came with delivery. When I filled it yesterday I thought I would have to pay a few bucks more to fill the tank so I'm not exactly sure that the gas I put in yesterday is made it a full tank.

Fill the tank until gas comes in contact with the bottom of the neck in the fuel tank. That is full. You can watch the gas go in and then slow the fill rate as the level rises close to the neck and then stop when the gas is just washing over the bottom of the neck. See page 4-11 of your owner's manual for fueling directions.

P.S. What I call the "neck" is referred to as the "fuel tank filler tube" in the manual.

Sthpaw01

Fill the tank until gas comes in contact with the bottom of the neck in the fuel tank. That is full. You can watch the gas go in and then slow the fill rate as the level rises close to the neck and then stop when the gas is just washing over the bottom of the neck. See page 4-11 of your owner's manual for fueling directions.

P.S. What I call the "neck" is referred to as the "fuel tank filler tube" in the manual.
OK thanks!