MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Sthpaw01

E=nismos14;433378]I doubt that it was full from the dealer and you really have to assume it was not because there's no way to know. Since you only put $10 in now you can't get an accurate measure. What you'll want to do is do and full fill up, reset the trip meters,then run it till it's ready to be filled then divide miles ridden by gallons filled.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I'm going to do next time I'm able to take it for a spin. Fill her up (by checking to make sure the gas hit the metal piece at the top of the tank) and reset the counter.

Tbh, im riding with really biploar weather. It will start at mid 30s in the morning, reach 60-70 degrees mid day then drop again. Because half the time my bike was not reaching even close to proper running temp (often sat at 165 all the time), i was getting such low mpg. i made a little piece in front of my radiator to only partially block it. The fan can still cool it and it has had no over heating issues but my MPG has gone up and i actually feel the heat of the bike again(even when it gets to be ~30 degrees). Definitely worth a shot if the bike doesnt reach 190+ degrees. At one point, i had 49 mpg without holding back my lead foot.

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

Fill the tank until gas comes in contact with the bottom of the neck in the fuel tank. That is full. You can watch the gas go in and then slow the fill rate as the level rises close to the neck and then stop when the gas is just washing over the bottom of the neck. See page 4-11 of your owner's manual for fueling directions.

P.S. What I call the "neck" is referred to as the "fuel tank filler tube" in the manual.
I have been able to get more an extra litre/ 1/4 gal beyond that "neck" in the filler tube, just give the bars a jiggle when the fuel stops flowing

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Sthpaw01

OK so I feel better now. I went 117 miles on my last tank. It took me 3 gallons to fill the tank. Most of those miles were highway miles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Bert-Aus

OK so I feel better now. I went 117 miles on my last tank. It took me 3 gallons to fill the tank. Most of those miles were highway miles.

On your next fuel run, try riding the entire tank with the rpm above 7krpm.
I am certain you will notice a leap in total distance

Sthpaw01

On your next fuel run, try riding the entire tank with the rpm above 7krpm.
I am certain you will notice a leap in total distance

I want to be nice to my baby and properly give her the recommended break in. The only time I hit the 7k mark is on the highway when I need the extra juice to go around someone. ;-)

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Sthpaw01

You'll get better gas mileage at higher RPM, 6-8 generally.
OK cool, thanks! I also wanted to ask a question. If I'm cruising down a long stretch of road, what would be the ideal rpms to have the engine at? 6-8 like you just said?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Bert-Aus

Peak performance is 10,800 or there about, you will be amazed how good mileage you get up around those digits.

But yes, def wait till after run in period is done before you sit in higher rev range for prolonged time

FastFreddy

OK cool, thanks! I also wanted to ask a question. If I'm cruising down a long stretch of road, what would be the ideal rpms to have the engine at? 6-8 like you just said?

I reckon the bike will use less fuel when you sit on low revs for long stretches.
But its when you open the throttle at low revs is when it sucks the juice, due to being in an inefficient rev band for the power level being asked of the motor.
So for higher power levels, keep the revs up, for cruising keep the revs down, if you are on and off the throttle, you want the revs higher than 5000 rpm.

Bert-Aus

I reckon the bike will use less fuel when you sit on low revs for long stretches.
But its when you open the throttle at low revs is when it sucks the juice, due to being in an inefficient rev band for the power level being asked of the motor.
So for higher power levels, keep the revs up, for cruising keep the revs down, if you are on and off the throttle, you want the revs higher than 5000 rpm.
Sorry to say but I have proven the opposite with numerous long hauls and shorter hills rides as comparisons.
The harder you ride this bike the better mileage you get.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Sthpaw01

I went in for my 600 mile service this past weekend. My MPG's leading up to that have been 38-39 mpg (excluding what seemed to be a half tank when it was delivered).

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member