poor mpg with new bike ???

swift82

So I got a new 2013 fz6r for Christmas and It had one tenth of a mile on it..so im in to my 2nd tank of gas and the mpg SUCKS ...im following the brake in. and not running it down the free way im just going back roads in the 50mph and no stop lights... Any thoughts :confused:

JSP

Super Moderator
How are you measuring mpg?

swift82

fill gas tank run it down and refill take the amount it took to refill and the miles and divide them

JSP

Super Moderator
Definitely seems a bit low then... I was well over 40 and sometimes pushed almost 60 on calm long highway rides. I get a hair over 40 with fairly hard rides on my 1200 Bandit.

What rpm you shifting at?

Brand new... I'd give it a bit to break in. Change the oil and see if it improves.

Detrich

Did u check ur tire pressure?

Should be 36 psi front 40 psi rear as a baseline.

Tire pressure makes a huge difference in MPG.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Detrich

swift may not know the right inflation since he's new.

BKP

1- You can't get accurate mpg estimates by eye-balling fillups. You need to use a commercial program that tracks exact fills and it takes a minimum of three fills to do that. Try Fuelly.com online, or if you have an Android phone, you can use an app called Fuel Log. If you have an iPhone, get rid of it, and buy an Android.

2- I wouldn't even begin sweating mpg at all until you're done with break in + 500 miles. Your engine will behave differently in a number of respects after 1000 -1500 miles, and an oil change *or two*. I didn't notice an improvement in mpg on my CAR until > 5000 miles, and on my 6R until > 1500 miles. You're also getting used to the feel of the bike in this window, if only sub-consciously, and will become more consistent with shifts, acceleration, and other aspects that can affect mpg after a thou miles or so (even if you think you are now).

So, give it some time, get a decent fill up tracker, and don't worry about mpg right now. Unless you're experiencing another overt issue with the bike, the mileage will improve on its own.

Ride safe, and enjoy your new Christmas present... it's a fabulous bike.

BKP

swift82

Thanks for all the info I'm pretty sure the tires are at 34front 38rear .im not new to street bikes just this one I've had a zx1100 for 3years and rolled 10k on it and a kz550 for 7years and rolled 30k on it. I was just wandering if this is normal for a new bike. I didn't know how tight the engines..... Thanks every one:D

Kayo7

You are also riding your bike in a state where I believe they use winter gas, they add additives to the fuel to help prevent it from freezing/sludging that causes poor fuel economy. Chicago uses it as well, my truck will go from 14-15 mpg city to 12-13 mpg city just because the change in gas. Try recalculating it when summer comes around. See if that changes.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member