New member welcome thread

WaistDownSquid

Hello everyone. Early 30s male here. I am from Birmingham, Alabama and I commute and ride for pleasure on a 2012 FZ6R. I bought it brand new a few years back and it is my first and only bike at the moment. In fact, my ride home from the dealership was the first time I ever even sat on a motorcycle! Don't worry, I cringe about that now too but I am happy to report that I have over 20,000 miles under my belt and have never dropped my bike or hit anything. :cool:

I am hoping to get a little inspiration from this forum on what bike to purchase next and also maintenance and mod advice for my FZ6R. I am recently divorced and am looking to add another bike to my stable very soon as a little "going away present" to myself. I will probably do a whole lot more searching and reading rather than posting while I am here but I will be glad to respond to any questions/comments/critiques if you have any. Hit me up if you live close or if you're planning to visit Birmingham. I am always up for a ride anytime of the year.

Current changes/mods:
Removed sissy bar
LED headlight
LED front signals
Motodynamic integrated tail light/fender delete
RAM mount cell phone holder (convenient with my Sena 10c)

Things I love about riding:
Sense of freedom
Going fast
Meeting other riders and talking shop/drooling over their bikes
Riding at night with a great playlist playing on the Sena
Messing with kids in their stock Mustangs and Camaros
Anonymously flirting with babes in traffic behind my tinted windscreen :D

Things I hate about riding:
People in traffic on their f#@*ing cellphones! :mad:
Slow traffic in the left lane
Super hot days
Super cold days
The often fast changing Alabama weather
Bugs
Kids squidding on their banged up litre bikes trying to show out for me
Getting profiled as a punk kid trying to cause trouble on my sport bike :cool:

*attached pic is pre-motodynamic rear end and she's a little dirty but it's really the best pic I have at the moment*

Attachments

Awestruck

West Virginia says hello

Hello to all from the mountains of WV. I ride a 2013 FZ6R and a 2014 Kawasaki Concours. Been riding for about 45 years.

Valtronas

Hey everyone! I just got my second FZ6R...I originally bought a brand new 2013 FZ6R in 2013 and about a year later had to sell it to be able to afford University tuition. Now that my Bachelors degree is all finished I started looking for bikes again.

Now a big part of me wanted to get a super sport and I went and sat on a bunch, I really didnt like the positioning...a little craigslist search later I found a 2009 FZ6R (w/ Two Brothers Exhaust!) for really cheap. I Snatched the deal up and now a proud owner of my second FZ6R!

katana4540

Hello to all. My name is Keith Melancon, I live in costal Louisiana. I'm 53 years in age. My dad got me my first bike when I was 11 years old, I have always had a motorcycle through out my life. In 1985 I had a Suzuki 850, while having it serviced at the dealership where I purchased it I was looking around the shop an looking at the bikes. One of the techs called out to the owner and requested that he come to the shipping and receiving area of the tech shop. I went outside to see what was being unloaded from the truck. In the unboxed wooden crate was a Kawasaki 750 Turbo. My first words to the owner were I want it. He responded, it's not put in the showroom much less ready to sell. I asked what would it take to hold the bike for me!. He advised he would call me in a couple days, in the meantime I rode my bike home and went to the bank that same afternoon and went back to the dealership and put a hefty deposit on the motorcycle. Yea, I traded my Suzuki and bought the Kawasaki Turbo. I went to work for the town I live in as a firefighter in late 1986. In 1987 I was full time firefighter and Commander of the reserve police dept. Traded the turbo at a automotive dealership in Lafayette for a truck. In 2001 I was shot and would not be able to enter the work force again advised by my many Dr's and PT's. permanently disabled. That's when I decided I needed to find something to keep me from going insane. My children helped me by purchasing a few low priced bikes to get me in shape and back into motorcycling. Found my Yamaha 2013 FZ6R with only 654 miles on it, Carfax was clear. I find it's not about how fast or how big the engine is but it's the ride freedom down right fun. There are speed limits so I don't need a fire breathing dragon of a engine. I love my FZ6R, all I put on it is a Puig tinted racing windscreen, Puig rear carbon fiber tire hugger fender, fender eliminator with front and rear smoke lens LED's, power ports on handle bars with phone or gps holder, heal tech gear position indicator. Bottom line this bike is fun to ride and has plenty enough power to travel the interstates or the country roads. I have no intentions of getting rid of it for something lager it easily gets in the triple digits on the speedo if the need should arise.

Last edited:

geolemon

I'm a 42 year old guy, been riding about 4 years now, and this is actually only my second bike. First bike was (is - still have it, for now) an '09 KLR 650.

I've never been a Harley-stereotype biker-guy, and never been the wheelie-at-100-MPH-pissing-commuters-off crotch rocket stereotype either, so it's fun to find another bike that avoids both stereotypes but still has at least some cool cred.

Since I haven't had as much time to go exploring as I'd like to take advantage of what the KLR is good at - I recently picked up a low mileage '09 FZ6R that I couldn't pass up on. Timing and price were both right.

It's a trip comparing the super-soft, long-suspension, top-heavy KLR and it's 7000RPM single-cylinder barking carbureted motor to the tight, grippy, zippy, quiet, rev-happy smoothness of the FZ6R.

I'm also interested in developing my own riding capabilities.
When I was younger, I was into autocross racing - and the odd side-effect of learning my limits autocrossing a car was that it made me a better driver. I have some friends who do track days, I understand most of these tracks have instruction with pros to teach much of those same dynamics, but on bikes.

Mainly though, I ride to relax, to escape the daily grind... at least until the snow starts to fall.

Added heated grips and a smoked-but-bright LED taillight, pondering stripping the graphics, and thinking about whether I like the quiet zip of the bike now, or if I should make it louder.

Last edited:

Pootywhopper

Hey all. I'm Estafan, 25, from CT but right now I'm in Ft Drum, so riding season is almost over for me. My dad got me onto 2 wheeled road because he had a tl1000r when I was a young skipper.

I picked up a brand new 2013 FZ6R in Aug2016 from a dealer for a really low price. Since then I have put the dmp FE kit, motodynamic integrated taillight, woodcraft clip ons w/ 1.5" risers, frame sliders, zx6r mirrors and shorty levers on my bike. I layed the bike down as a result of a truck running me off the road. No major damage except scratching the sticker on the left fairing.

:Sport:

skids

New member Arlington, Texas

I'm James. I live in Arlington Texas. I've been riding for 31 years. Two days ago, I traded another bike for a 13 FZ6R with only 900 miles. I brought it home and started giving it some loving. The previous 2 owners weren't so nice. The last one was the guy's wife and this was her first bike. It has a few scratches, but I'm going to make it like new again. I changed the oil, flushed the brakes and radiator, adjusted and lubed the chain, ordered a motodynamic integrated tail light and fender eliminator, some flush front led turn signals and some shorty levers.

I also have a R3. This past weekend, I took a trip down to the 3 sisters in the Texas Hill Country with a couple of friends. I ran away from them in the twisties, but it will be nice to have a little bigger bike for longer trips like that.

alexderz

Hi, I'm Alex. I'm a fairly new rider in Austin, TX (~1 month). Loving my '11 FZ6R! The dealer had 'er ready to go, and I didn't want to wait. Made a great choice. Did some much needed maintenance (oil was almost black!, chain bounced like Tigger), and now she's purring.

Last edited:

Blueridgefz6r

Hi from the foothills of NC

Just wanted to say hi. I used to be on under a different name but forgot the password and don't use the email anymore. Sold that bike and now 5 years later bought the same bike again!! Hi all.:p

Tony64

Hi from sunny Gold Coast

Hi all, I live on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia, and have recently returned to riding after nearly 30 years. Recently purchased my 2011 FZ6R after a lot of research and test riding of a lot of different bikes/models. I could not be happier with this alround bike, great for commuting on a daily basis but has enough flair and fun for weekends and touring. After my 21 year old son bought his first bike and started his love of riding I became reinvigorated, we now enjoy spending time together on the road, just riding through the nearby hinterland roads, stop for lunch at a country pub, then back on the road. The weather here allows for year round riding and the traffic congestion means that I use the bike daily for my commute to work (lane filtering is legal in Queensland). I have enjoyed reading posts on this forum and am definitely learning more about this great bike from the the members on this site. Thanks for all the great info that is available from the community, keep up the great work.

tech1960ps

Hi from Goose Bay NL

Hello everyone,
I am a ex pat living in Goose Bay Canada, I have been here for 21 years.
I am a returning biker and have ordered a 2017 FZ6R for next season.:D

My past bikes are, GT250, RD400, CB400F, the FZ6R is the biggest bike I have ridden, had to have a test ride this summer. :)
My bike will mainly used for commuting to work and maybe some light touring.

Looking forward to the 2017 ridding season:D

Chris12

Hello everyone,
I am a ex pat living in Goose Bay Canada, I have been here for 21 years.
I am a returning biker and have ordered a 2017 FZ6R for next season.:D

My past bikes are, GT250, RD400, CB400F, the FZ6R is the biggest bike I have ridden, had to have a test ride this summer. :)
My bike will mainly used for commuting to work and maybe some light touring.

Looking forward to the 2017 ridding season:D
Congratulations on your new 2017 FZ6r, welcome!

Chris12

Hey everybody!
I'm from Mexico City, my motorcycle it's a FZ6R 2015 black/red
the only mod is the system exhaust i got a SC cup it's a slip-on, it sounds great.
I have more than 10k KM in this bike.
Here's a pic of my baby and a video of the exhaust sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdvRX7oWpXQ
Nice bike and gear. Welcome to the group!

Baileyisme

Hey guys, just joined!
I'm Bailey, from Victoria, Australia.
I've got a 2010 FZ6R, I'm a semi new rider
Here's my beautiful bike haha:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baileyisme

Welcome!

What type of luggage is that on the rear tail? It looks pretty slick!

I didn't buy it, came with the bike but I'm pretty sure it's the R1 Axio tail bag
Rarely have it on there but it's useful when I need it! Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blazintrails

Hey new to the forum I'm on the yellow fz6r and race around the San Francisco Bay Area. I maybe seen time to time racing on down to Los Angeles and res stock I have gone top speed red line 6th gear at 129mph. I want to know how to get this babies top speed up thank you