daddyrack

Premium Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Detrich

Everyone learns & progresses differently. But, for me, personally, I'm realizing that I shouldn't have focused so much on body positioning early on. And, i should have stayed glued to the seat until -after- I learned what it feels like to carve in a turn.

I learned the hanging off body positioning at first, and it ended up being counter productive, because I never learned how to really "feel" or understand how the dynamics of the tires and bike should be when cornering (carving).

Turning is a ratio. The faster you go, the more you want to lean. As you lean into the turn, you want to stay relaxed, shift your body weight so that the bike and the tires to do the work.

There is a unique feeling of how the bike is handling when you are riding on the edge of the tires. For me, this feeling was only be learned when I stopped hanging off the bike and started "listening" & feeling to what the bike was doing and gradually going faster into the turns.

Now that I have a better feel and understanding of the dynamics of cornering a bit, when I hang off now, I can actually feel and get why and how proper body positioning is beneficial.

Again, everyone learns differently. But that is just my experience...

Last edited:

0150r

Thanks for the comments. My foot wasn't on the ball as you noted. I will try to work on that. I tend to put both my feet a forward for easy braking/shifting and comfort during "every day/normal" riding so there is some muscle memory to unlearn. The knee wants to come out a little, but feels awkward for me to push it out more than what it is in the photo. I don't have leather pa

With being a new rider (less than a year), having highway tires (BT-023's), and not having leathers, I'm trying hard to not get ahead of myself. It's difficult to not go overboard for me though.

Right now, the biggest thing I want to work on is trying to stay relaxed while in the twisties. At times, I have to actively think about looking through the corner and keeping my hand off the brake because I go for the brake and pick a target to crash into when I get spooked.

Last edited:

Detrich

If you're already covering the brake & picking a target crash route, then you are probably going too fast too soon.

Slow down.

My advice at this point is to just ride and don't over-think things. Forget all the advanced stuff. It's all kinda meaningless until you get the hang of basic riding and begin to feel comfortable with the dynamics of riding a motorcycle "up to speed."

Focus on the basics- ie keeping your eyes always looking to where you want to go, maintaining a safe speed, finding a comfortable ridimg position, practicing shifting at the right times, practicing good throttle control, practicing safe braking, relaxing your body, and above all listening to what the bike is telling you and using the controls accurately...

Pay particular attention to what you feel & observe the bike is doing and what your tires are doing in the turns.

Remember and review what you learned in MSF and sharpen those skills. Don't concern yourself about going fast or hanging off the bike etc. All that stuff just comfuses you more and is meaningless -until- you can properly read the bike's dynamics and get enough seat time to get truly comfortable riding and maneuvering in both fast, slow, and intermediate scenarios.

Just go with the flow and do what feels natural. Stay safe. And, as you improve and progress, -then- at that time start gradually adding in all the things like balls of feet on pegs, not using the rear brake in canyons, and leaning off the bike etc etc.

I'm learning that you really have to master the basics. Once you cross tht threshold you will begin adjusting your riding position automatically & naturally. And you will start riding with the balls of your feet. And it will start to feel right. There is definitely a learning progression that you have to go through. Don't rush it.

Stay safe & have fun & enjoy the process. :)

Last edited:

0150r

If you're already covering the brake & picking a target crash route, then you are probably going too fast too soon.
This only happens when I get spooked about something. I don't cover the brake, I just have the "instinct" to want to grab it when something bad happens.

It's not that I'm going to fast or not being careful enough...I try to ride too cautiously at times and don't fully commit because of it. This causes the "omg I'm going to crash" thought.

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

alh081

added another member to the family!

buzzbomb

Elite Member

miketriebsch

Its a 49cc Ruckus. There fun little scooters. I kinda miss my zuma I had that somone wanted more than I did.

JonKerr

Elite Member