Mod. Stock Exhaust

clifford_05

I'm going to try this method as well by cutting and welding a new tip. I'm quite excited for it

SloRider

Per the pictures on page 7 of this thread can I essentially just put on an exhaust tip and drill some holes and get a change in the sound that would be better than stock? I don't know anyone who welds and I don't want to pay someone. I was given an exhaust tip for free so basically I'm looking to spend no money and get some kind of better sound than stock. I'd rather not even cut of the original 1 1/4" pipe. The exhaust tip I have has three screws at the base that I'm going to drill into the sides of the stock tip and have it mount that way instead of welding it on. Please don't mind the simple question, I'm new to the motorcycle world so still learning how mods will affect the bike. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
I thought about doing this exact same thing. I have already done the "5 minute exhaust mod" and was wondering how much more sound I would get by just drilling a few small holes around the perimeter of the weld. Anyone think this would work and sound just as good in conjunction with the "5 min mod"?

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

clifford_05

Well I just finished doing the mod and it turned out quite nicely. I went with a 2 5/8 inlet exhaust tip. She's got a decent deep tone to it now and I can actually hear my exhaust while riding even with a helmet on! I'm ready to ride some more an hear it tomorrow! My best friend is gonna ride it so I can see how it sounds off the bike! Def worth doing!

fredrod

NEWBIE IN DA HOUSE!!!

So I bought my FZ6R a month ago. Is my first bike! Friday I went to the dealer for her first pampering session (first maintanance). Boy was I excited for her but then we were sadden... As I was getting ready to leave the dealer with my new gear and pride, a fellow rider got on a Yamaha scooter and put me and Stig Raven to shame! It was louder then my FZ6R! THE HORROR! He had a TB exhaust system! Sounded beautiful, but now i just look like _______ . So I took the leap and did this mod. I LOVE IT! To be clear, butterflies in my stomach love it! Thank You guys for the post!

Now I have a few questions that may have been answered. Please be kind.

IMMEDIATELY I noticed a change. When I roll on the throttle, It had much more aggresion to it. Less "Zippy" more aggresive. It was a scary fun feeling. Kind of like my brother-in-laws GSX 750. Did anyone else experience this beauty?

Also before the mod, I would loose revs fairly quickly if i lay off the throttle. Now it gradually decreases as if it was supercharged or something. Along with the beautiful sound, I love that. Did anyone notice that?

Sorry one more thing.. Between 4k-8k RPM feels more like the old 7k-10k RPM. Which goes back to the above question. Did this happen to you?

Thank You in advance!
do you know if this mod will void the warranty? anyone?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

bloodypulp

This mod is the best thing i have done so far. I love the aggressive sound when bringing the revs up and the mean growl when i let off the throttle. Its a beautiful thing.

Attachments

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

93cc

Videos
In The Garage
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEq3l2CyatU&feature=player_embedded"]Yamaha Fz6r Exhaust Mod - garage - YouTube[/ame]

Outside
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXTWOuGqT5U&feature=player_embedded"]Yamaha Fz6r Exhaust Mod - outside - YouTube[/ame]

I have only rode it around the neighborhood so far but it is quite a bit louder

one more picture

Attachments

Last edited:

Neme

Exhaust mod tip

Just did this mod and it sounds GREAT! a nice deep throaty sound but gets loud when you open her up. only costed me 15 bucks for an automotive exhaust tip from the auto store. i chose a 2 1/2 inlet with a 3" output tip.

instead of "shaping" the back end of the tip to fit contour with the cat, i just stuck the edge of the tip inside the cat. also, i cut the tailpipe off inside the cat about 3 inches or so.

changed my mind last minute from running a straight pipe to just changing the tip and couldnt be happier that i did! its loud enough to be heard but tolerable since i commute.

Thanks to all for the great post and ideas!

ohteaze

exhaust mod help!

hey everyone, so i just did an exhaust mod and first of all i want to say i love it! sounds great very loud. however the other day i started it and reved it couple times to show my friends how it sounded and it shut off on me, aswell as i noticed that it is less responsive when i open throttle. has anyone had the same problem? also i welded on a fairly large tip, bigger then anyone ive found on the net so far maybe that could be the reason?? also if anyone knows how to fix it. much help appreciated thanks!!

poidabike

Did the mod yesterday. 2.5" pipe. Cut away original small diameter pipe to approx. 4" inside the exhaust box.

The result - pretty poor if you ask me. There is definitely a lot of resonance going on. This is where the airflow actually pulses in and out of the exhaust, between firing events, causing resonance within the aft section of the exhaust casing and giving the exhaust a flat sounding, high amplitude sound. To exaggerate, the resonant part of the exhaust sound is somewhat similar to a valveless pulsejet.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEHw9lInIfg]Jim's Valveless Pulsejet Engine - YouTube[/ame]

A smaller diameter exit pipe would increase the flow velocity and prevent pulsing. Recommend anyone who does this mod limits the pipe size to 2.0", which I think would be perfect.

I'm going to be putting in a 2" flow restrictor within the 2.5" outer pipe to increase flow velocity.

Pete

heavychevy69

I'm still a little confused on if this will create back pressure problems or make the bike run too lean. And will I lose low or high end torque? Obviously I'm talking about without a PCv or juice box. Any help is appreciated

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member