Liter bike upgrade?

Detrich

Maybe my (old) age, relatively clean driving record, and low annual mileage are factors?

Just checked my records, and I'm paying something like $580/yr for the R1 and $650/yr for the R6 through AAA (auto club) for $100K/$300K/$250K full comp, full collision, and uninsured motorist etc.

Liter bike is actually cheaper.

anticsd

I think the liters are cheaper cause of electronics package no? When I quoted the s1000rr full coverage it was cheaper than my fz6r!!

Detrich

Could be. The S1KRR has both ABS and TCS. The R1 only has TCS. It's a very noticeable difference tho. A lot less wheel spin when u don't rev match. lol...

danieljardim

Insurance co. are strange.

A ninja 1000 would cost me about $3000 here in jersey.

I'm paying $640/year full coverage for my diavel. (thanks ducati for the cruiser wheel base) :)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

RoadTrip

I'm now seriously torn on my next bike. I don't know whether I should stay in the 600 range or jump up to 1000. The bikes I have in mind are:

BMW S1000R (2014)
Aprilia Tuono V4 ABS (2013)
Triumph Daytona 675R (2013)

I've logged about 11k miles on my fz6r since june, so I guess my experience is alright. I've just heard scary stories about liter bikes popping wheelies effortlessly cruising while my 6r I have to pop the clutch in order to do so. Any input about liter bikes would be great!

Thank you!
My understanding is the S1000R is a very fast bike, and the Tuono is also pretty beastly, but it likely just boils down to throttle control. So, popping wheelies should not be an issue, but some liters are reported to suffer mid-corner smoothness due to touchy throttle response, while others do fine.

I think the S1000R would be a fantastic bike, but a little out of my price range, if you can afford it, that would definitely be my top pick from your list. The newest year models have many handling bugaboos corrected, so research that issue if buying used.

I went for the GSXR750 after also dreaming of Euro liters and such, in the end price and reliabillity kept me with a Japanese bike. But, the exotic RSV4 or Panigale is still on a wish list for me due to the supposed 'character' of those bikes. Hopefully 'duc-audi' will bring in better customer service and reliablity, still so many horror stories out there for the Italian bikes concerning warranty issues, who knows if they are really true, but I can't afford to find out.

Detrich

^ the warranty issues re Italian bikes is definitely true based on my friends' experiences.

On relatively low mile bikes, they have issues with prre-mature busting radiators, leaky forks, fuel tanks that crack with temperature expansion/ contraction. The list goes on & on, with $ signs at the end of each.

Italian bikes are honestly, really for rich ppl who have a very high tolerance of "break & fix frequently." Ducati covers a portion of the defects, but never 100%. And, if time is money, then the time that owners need to spend getting those machines towed, repaired etc sure as heck better make it worthwhile.

I'm a very tame rider, but I still ride fairly spirited. And, i've never even remotely come close to wheeling the R1. I will say this though. Both the R6 and R1 feel better in higher RPM band. And I think Yamaha designed it this way... The 8K range feels the most stable to me- meaning at that range the throttle is most stable/ smooth and the most responsive. Riding canyons in the 6K RPM is definitely doable, and Ive done it many times. but there's just not as much pull and not as much engine braking capability. Keep the needle floating between 7k and 9k and it's a completely different experience. The bikes come alive and are more precise.

To put things in perspective, 8k rpm is 3rd gear on the R6 and 2nd gear on the R1. Yes. 2nd gear. It takes some getting used to, but it's smoother than you think.

anticsd

Italian bikes are exotics! They're the hot chick and your the rich fat old bald guy, she'll treat you like shit but its one hell of a ride!!!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Hellgate

Quoted the tuono v4 for $58/mo full coverage and the 675r is $67. I don't know if thats a fair comparison between naked and supersport.
Here's my coverage:

Insurance Bikes.jpg

My first year coverage was only $288. But I also bought one of the first bikes in the US and it was covered under Aprilia "misc." The additional year of the bike being in the US, read crashes, has raised the price.

Honestly you're worried about nothing. Buy the bike, and hang on! Turn signals? Who needs them???

Hellgate

Italian bikes are exotics! They're the hot chick and your the rich fat old bald guy, she'll treat you like shit but its one hell of a ride!!!
I am neither fat nor bald, and my girls treat me very well. :D

danieljardim

Going riding with a friend of mine that I haven't seen in too long this Sunday am. He has a Diavel Carbon... won't mind swapping girls for few miles. I tried it once in the neighborhood at 30 MPH, was just enough for a tease.
Did you ride on sport mode?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

FastFreddy

Which choice ?
It's a tough choice go with better handling or more torque down low or a bit of both.

Except I have plans already right now with any spare cash, so it'll probably be another 2 orbits at least.

If I could do now, I'd try the following, 675/675R, F3, GSXR600/750 and 1000, CBR1000, ZX10R, Huyabusa. I wouldn't want to pay more than $20k for a bike, so I wouldn't try the S1000RR or Diavel or Aprillia.

The Aprillia has non next to useless traction control apparently.
The S1000RR has harsh cuts/grabs in the TC, you can see the rear end pumping, it looks dangerous to me.
The CBR1000RR still has a good 2-5 seconds per lap on the other bikes, bizzarre.