Hit and Run Caught on Go Pro

MikeN02

He's a R6 forum member FlyingPig.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn3qjhc6tQY&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Car Ran Over My Foot - February 05, 2011[/ame]

Should take a look at the video description, he links his boots and how they're scuffed. An important reminder to wear motorcycle boots, otherwise they would have broke it.

Sage

Scary getting hit. Glad it didn't hurt him too badly. Another GoPro video wins, he had the car/liscense plate on camera, the driver who hit him's fleeing was futile.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Wow, thats crazy. Not sure I could have held my composure like that when he got stuck at the light. Would have been very hard not to pull his ass out of the car. :mad:

+1 for the GoPro!

Detrich

i wonder if the driver was just completely oblivious or purposely playing dumb... either way, he should've just pulled over to to make sure the rider was ok... good to know the rider wasn't seriously hurt.

TigerGenetics

Kudos for the witness who helped "wrangle" the moron in when he was trying to flee. I am sure I wouldn't have been able to keep my composure.

Spunky99

I carry a folding pocket knife on me at all times. After the guy hit me and then ran after being informed of the accident after he stopped in the middle of the road, there is no way he can say he didn't know he hit the bike and this is a legitimate hit and run.
I would have put a hole in 2 sidewalls at the next stop light before saying a thing. Less than $800.00 to replace so it's not Felony damage to the car.
Besides I think a Judge would agree that in order to force him to not take off again, it was necessary to disable the car and call the Police. He had a witness too and chasing the car puts everyone in danger.
If his foot is hurt, it is Felony hit and run and the driver is SCREWED big time.

If I go out the door without my Contour it is like going for a ride without gloves or helmet or shoes. I always run the video and erase all the uneventful footage as it is free. This is more and more common these days with the rate of unemployment etc in the USA.
Poor BMW guy probably just lost his job and was out looking for work, got distracted on the cell phone while driving, hit the bike and doesn't have insurance because he can't afford it.
His registration was probably suspended as they do in CA if you don't have insurance and he wanted to get away as he really can't afford this problem.

That guy was awfully nice to the car driver....I don't think I could have been that calm. Great instructional video.

porky45

I carry a folding pocket knife on me at all times. After the guy hit me and then ran after being informed of the accident after he stopped in the middle of the road, there is no way he can say he didn't know he hit the bike and this is a legitimate hit and run.
I would have put a hole in 2 sidewalls at the next stop light before saying a thing. Less than $800.00 to replace so it's not Felony damage to the car.
Besides I think a Judge would agree that in order to force him to not take off again, it was necessary to disable the car and call the Police. He had a witness too and chasing the car puts everyone in danger.
If his foot is hurt, it is Felony hit and run and the driver is SCREWED big time.

If I go out the door without my Contour it is like going for a ride without gloves or helmet or shoes. I always run the video and erase all the uneventful footage as it is free. This is more and more common these days with the rate of unemployment etc in the USA.
Poor HONDA ACCORD guy probably just lost his job and was out looking for work, got distracted on the cell phone while driving, hit the bike and doesn't have insurance because he can't afford it.
His registration was probably suspended as they do in CA if you don't have insurance and he wanted to get away as he really can't afford this problem.

That guy was awfully nice to the car driver....I don't think I could have been that calm. Great instructional video.
there you go... fixed it for you! ;)

Spunky99

Thanks Porky....sheesh..I'm embarrassed....I work for Honda......LOL

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
After having it all on film, I would not have followed the guy at all. There was a thread on here about a motorcyclist that was involved in an accident that escalated to road rage where the MC'er followed the person home. The offending driver then backed over the MC'er, I believe resulting in his death. Not worth the effort or sacrifice for my safety or that of the other people on the road to try and pursue the driver. Take the footage to the police station and let them handle it.

Just my opinion.

Spunky99

After having it all on film, I would not have followed the guy at all. There was a thread on here about a motorcyclist that was involved in an accident that escalated to road rage where the MC'er followed the person home. The offending driver then backed over the MC'er, I believe resulting in his death. Not worth the effort or sacrifice for my safety or that of the other people on the road to try and pursue the driver. Take the footage to the police station and let them handle it.

Just my opinion.
Is that before or after you put a sharp object through the sidewalls of the tires?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think that should even be an option! If other people didn't see the guy hit the MC'er, but witnessed tires being slashed, the act would be observed out of context and could be used against the MC'er. I feel that retaliation is never rewarded.

Spunky99

I don't think that should even be an option! If other people didn't see the guy hit the MC'er, but witnessed tires being slashed, the act would be observed out of context and could be used against the MC'er. I feel that retaliation is never rewarded.
Slow down there 99vengeur.....who said anything about retaliation?

If you read what I wrote previously you will see that sticking a sharp object into the sidewall of a tire is a tactic to disable the car...period.
Nothing was said about slashing anything. This is not revenge or retaliation or assault in any way.

I made a point about the sequence of events.
1. Car hits brakes, you can hear tire squeal and the car slides to the left,running over the guy's foot. (It sounded like he hit the bike too)
At this point it is nothing more than an accident with no intent and no crime committed.
2. Car finally stops just after the intersection and the motorcycle and witness approach and ask the driver in a nice calm manner to pull over.
That helps because the driver cannot say he felt threatened and had a reason to run.
3. Car takes off at a high rate of speed in an attempt to evade exchanging information effectively changing an accident into a felony hit and run.
4. Bike and witness follow the hit and run felon at a high rate of speed putting themselves and others in danger. (We are on the same page here about not chasing the car).
5. I suggest a sharp object (I carry a LEGAL knife) to disable the car from continuing to endanger the public at large by speeding and evading again.
Call the Police. Let them take over from here. The easiest way to disable a car is a quick jab at a rear tire sidewall....You are far enough from the driver that he is in no personal danger and the sharp object is put away and not brandished.

Because the tire value is under a certain $ amount it cannot be considered a felony to disable the car. In CA $800.00 and above is felony vandalism on a car and the tire is not that much even if the Police took that route.

Even with the video and wittness, getting the Police to get a proper report that the DA will use to prosecute the car driver is less than a 50/50 chance.
They will tell you to turn it into he insurance company and if you don't have comp and collision, you have no medical coverage and if you don't have personal/private medical coverage, you are screwed. With the car driver unable to continue to evade, the chances go up substantially as he is now at the scene of the crime and the Police verify this and get a statement from the wittness. (The driver can say he lent his car to another person if he gets away because there is no face on video if you noticed and audio is poor).

With the car driver, witness and video all at the same place for the Police, it is a slam dunk.

No anger, no hate, no retaliation, no revenge....
Just forcing a hit and run driver to take responsibility for his actions.

Holy crap, that was weird! I don't understand people.........just man up and stop your damn vehicle!

DragonBlu

Old Spunky,at it again. I get the feeling you are kind of a "Scales of Justice or The Sword kind of guy. ;)

Spunky99

Old Spunky,at it again. I get the feeling you are kind of a "Scales of Justice or The Sword kind of guy. ;)
NO....no vengence or retribution or revenge or payback. I am not Judge and Jury and I harm or threaten no one.

I've had too many people do things that they refuse to man up to and it costs you a lot of money. It cost me $50,000.00 out of pocket in medical bills because of an uninsured, unlicensed, illegal alien. The cops didn't do anything, I had PL/PD and no uninsured motorist so the insurance company didn't do anything. I lost a job and lost my medical and the bills keep coming and coming and the Attorney gives you that look of sympathy and he can make it all better until he has the $5,000.00 retainer in his hand and then there is nothing he can do because the driver went back to his home country.

I have found that if you catch a thief in the act and can keep him at the scene of the crime you might get compensated. If that thief leaves the scene, the cops, Attorney, DA etc look at your case like it is on the moon and impossible to reach, much less prosecute.

So I believe in keeping the thief, perp or whatever at the scene for arrest, booking and charges. I used to own a bar and believe me when I say that once the perp is clear of the scene, the possibility of getting him prosecuted or getting damages paid for are almost zero. Trying to go after anyone in court is such a hassle and even if you win, how do you get paid? The odds are even if you win in court, you will never collect.

The guy in the video was very lucky to have had a willing witness that helped him box in that driver because that video alone was worthless in court with a good defense Attorney. His face was not on the video and he could say he lent the car to person A who lent it to person B who he does not know and the motorcyclist's ID of him is worthless. The entire case was hinged on the witness and that is iffy at best. What if the witness had "issues" that could be brought up in court.

The only problem with stopping that driver was that he could have had a gun or been a Bruce Lee Octagon fighter and kicked the motorcyclist's butt. He already was a felon for hit and run with bodily injury so what else was he?
Pretty scary....

Pop a tire and stay away from the guy until the Police arrive......

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Spunky99

Anyone notice that the driver swerved back over the riders path after the first stop light when the rider was asking him to pull over? I don't care where he's from I'd have drug him out of the car at that light and commenced to beating the poo out of him. I'm just an angry person though :iconbeer: :mad: grrr
Calm down now....just pop the tires and wait calmly for the Police to arrive.
I'm sure after watching the video the judge will make sure the Bailiff spanks his pee pee. You don't want to get into a fight with someone that could potentially clean your clock do you? Or end up in criminal court?