Helmets...

JonKerr

Elite Member

pyrocpu

FWIW, webbikeworld.com has a TON of reviews on brainbuckets...

JnT4Life

Does your Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet "whistle" at all?

Im in the process of exchanging the EXO-1000 Apollo I rec'd from Comp Acc, because (a) it was an open box item- ie tags were cut, stickers removed when i got it, (b) it might be slightly too big for me according to their sizing test- ie I can insert a pinky above my forehead with it strapped on, and (c) since it was clearly "open box" already i decided to test it out just up/ down my street once and immediately noticed that the thing whistles like a boiling tea pot at 30+mph, which is probably why whoever bought it before returned it after using it.

i asked for a Medium in exchange, and hope this one is new and fits. I also contacted Scorpion and they said it shouldn't whistle and they will exchange it as a warranty defect if it does.
I have absolutely no whistling at all. I have a large head so I have been wearing a XXL and in other helmets, this was a bit loose, but it is snug with the Scorpion.

MikeN02

I'm looking at the Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet... specifically the Tsunami Blue...

Anyone had any experience with it?

Also what's a good excuse to buy another helmet? My Seven O Seven is a pretty cheap made one..

M

mas4489

Shoei RF-1100 FTW!!

very comfortable and a lot of options to make it better if needed

matt_not_andrew

I have an Arai Condor and a HJC Carbon like the one below but mine has a full face mask built it.

I prefer the HJC because it's quite light and looks better. Not the quietest but when I've got tunes playing while I'm riding I forget the wind noise.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

Spunky99

JohnKerr said it
Fit and quality are the biggest things to consider.
While I was in Indonesia I looked at the helmets there. Since just about everyone there rides a 125cc step through bike of some kind they have stores that just sell helmets. One of the most expensive brands there is KYT. It has all the nice options and is extremely well built. I've shown it to some people and they compare it to Shoei and Simpson racing helmets. So far I have no complaints about noise, padding, fit or finish. It is very light as well.
This is the 2010 model and I bought a second one which is a 2009 model for a few bucks less.
Note: I added the US flag on the back...

Attachments

arkkornkid

I'm looking at the Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet... specifically the Tsunami Blue...

Anyone had any experience with it?

Also what's a good excuse to buy another helmet? My Seven O Seven is a pretty cheap made one..
For $91 it's a bargain

Scorpion makes good stuff, I have an exo-700 and it's still very comfortable after 2 1/2 seasons. the 400 uses a plastic shell whereas the 700 and 1000 series uses fiberglass and kevlar.... but they are all DOT and SNELL approved.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

scoobienorth

i bought a joe rocket c101 i believe is it called from newenough.com for $140 it is carbon fiber, very light very good aero, still more wind noise than i would like.

Detrich

I tried on an HJC (small) at the store thd other day, and it felt snug on my head. (I'm right in between small & medium sizes.) I have a medium, but my head still wiggles slightly...

Just rec'd the replacement Scorpion (small) today and will try it on tonight. The thing I've noticed with Scorpion is that their size & shape is very similar to HJC. (their size charts are nearly identicle.) But, the Scorpion's head opening is SO much tighter and harder to put on for some reason... But, once it's on, it feels just like the HJC...

That said, even with earplugs there is still some wind noise with my HJC CL-15, tho it is much quieter...

JonKerr

Elite Member

RandiZ

I have still not found a helmet that I love. Had an HJC which I liked but was dropped on concrete and dented. Then I got a scorpion, which I HATED. I always got headaches.

I'm now using a Shoei TZ-R. It is ok. Definitely light. I've had zero neck soreness. I have yet to test the venting in the summer. But, I also got fewer vents because I really want quiet. I will put in my ear buds and listen to music if I'm going for a long ride on the highway. It helps. Eventually, I'm going to get earplugs and a chatterbox for music. Just have to see how the budget works out this summer.

Been told to get the Arai for real quiet and lightness. I just can't swallow $700 for a helmet.

JonKerr

Elite Member

ajkewler

My g/f has the shoei rf-1000 flutter, the 09 model. Its a pretty sweet helmet and very light. I only had one problem with it and that was the padding wasn't removeable like how it is on my shoei x-eleven so it was more challenging putting in her cardio bluetooth into it.

My friend has a x-twelve and says he loves it, its a bit on the pricey end but the pads are very easy to remove in the event of a accident. Its just two clips you pull down and the padding pulls down making the helmet very easy to remove.

If I had to replace my helmet for any reason and have 700 bucks just laying around I'd go for a shoei x-twelve. I've also tried on a few Arai helmets and noticed that they've very comfortable but have been told that shoei was better at reducing wind noise.

Last edited:

pyrocpu

I wanted to like the Shoei RF-1100. Tried it on, then found out I hated it. Chin bar's wayyy too close to my lips. Poor fitment on my rather long-ovaled head! :(

MikeN02

I have still not found a helmet that I love. Had an HJC which I liked but was dropped on concrete and dented.
From a 6 Story building?

Rub Vaseline on the outside of your helmet, so that you'll be prone to drop it 'on accident', thus making it easier to justify buying a new helmet.....just a thought :D

lol that also has a prone to slip right off my head when I need it the most and strangle me.

I think I might just wait a couple months until it blows over.... I have a lot of impulse buying so I just wait a month until I still want it and lists the pros and cons of buying it.