Helmets...

Newmason

I know there is a helmet thread on here about who all has what, but my question to everyone is, is what is a good helmet for quietness, and most importantly aerodynamics! I have noticed my HJC cl-15 gets blown around almost to the point where the wind wants to reach up under the helmet and pull it off my head while on the highway. Feels like I am going to be flung off of the bike by my helmet! Any ideas

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member
I have a Scorpion Helmet....and it seems like I'm wearing an egg on my head, but I guess that is all you can expect from $130.00! Give or take! But, I just purchased a Icon Domain Helmet, Decay! I have not received it yet, but I have not heard anything bad about Icon! My wife has a Shoei helmet and.........I have actualy tried it on! It was definately more comfortable than my helmet! Plus it seemed more stable! In any case, if you only pay around $100.00 - $200.00, I would say that it isn't worth it! That is just me though! Then again, if it has the DOT and Snell sticker, at least then you will know it will do it's job! That is all that matters I guess!

Choco

CL-15 cyclone helmet here ! bought from ebay 90$ shipped. Dot and snell.. +smoke visor

probably not the best helmet out there but still not too expensive for a student and fits my fz6r's blue !

wtgrant87

I have a Scorpion EXO-1000. It is a bit noisy but i find it to be very stable. It never wants to lift up and it fits me very well. Not cheap, but take a look.

Newmason

Thanks Jon for your reply on the two helmets. Ill have to take a look at the icons. The reason why I am looking for a more stable at higher speed helmets is that I have been getting some headaches due to the instability of the helmets at speed and the constant strain the HJC is giving my knoggen at higher speed. I am planning a Ohio to Arizona and then back on the bike at the end of the summer and am looking for a helmet that will be stable at highway speeds for a much longer distance than the average highway jog :)

Heineken

Elite Member

Newmason

Dang! Thats a great deal, but to bad I have to pay the 7% sales tax! I might see what else is out there

ksanbon

I got my black Shoei RF-1100 last week. It's everything the article described. Most importantly, it fits my head perfectly. It's quiet, has great field of vision, good ventilation, and amazing aerodynamics as it doesn't strain my neck when I turn my head at freeway speeds.

Two minor issues: I get some minor whistling when riding w/ my neck bowed and the decals take time to remove,

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

JnT4Life

I really like my Scorpion EXO 1000. It is a little heavy at 4 lbs, but the weight sits really low so I don't notice it. Now its not super quiet, but it doesn't have any of the high pitched whistling noises. More of a low pitched rumbling which is much more tolerable to me.

But before you go out and spend another $300 plus on a helmet, you might try what I did on my modular. Now modular's are NEVER going to be quiet because of their design with all the extra cracks and crevices, but I added a chin skirt (wind blocker) to mine and it helped a lot.
First, I bought some velcrow that comes in rolls and a half yard of some felt type material. I cut(split) the 'hook' part of the velcrow so it wasn't very wide and would just fit on the underside of my helmet, all the way around the chin area. I then cut the felt to fit and stuck it onto the velcrow. This blocked quite a bit of the wind that bounces up off my chest and into the underside of the helmet. I doesn't look 'factory' but its not too bad.

Detrich

Does your Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet "whistle" at all?

Im in the process of exchanging the EXO-1000 Apollo I rec'd from Comp Acc, because (a) it was an open box item- ie tags were cut, stickers removed when i got it, (b) it might be slightly too big for me according to their sizing test- ie I can insert a pinky above my forehead with it strapped on, and (c) since it was clearly "open box" already i decided to test it out just up/ down my street once and immediately noticed that the thing whistles like a boiling tea pot at 30+mph, which is probably why whoever bought it before returned it after using it.

i asked for a Medium in exchange, and hope this one is new and fits. I also contacted Scorpion and they said it shouldn't whistle and they will exchange it as a warranty defect if it does.

I have a Scorpion EXO-1000. It is a bit noisy but i find it to be very stable. It never wants to lift up and it fits me very well. Not cheap, but take a look.

Last edited:

ajcatx

Shoei 1100 Firestrike

Here is what I have the Shoei 1100 Blue firestrike with the blue spectra shield. It is very comfortable and has good ventilation.

Insure Gal

Don't know if this is a re post or not (I am still a forum noob :eek:)

but this is a great vid from Jay Leno with the Helmet Man on how to fit a helmet properly. Alot of people do not buy the proper size helmet.

Soup :: Jay Leno Meets The Helmet Man :: 10-16-2008

Very snug is best! :thumbup:

JonKerr

Elite Member

wtgrant87

Does your Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet "whistle" at all?

Im in the process of exchanging the EXO-1000 Apollo I rec'd from Comp Acc, because (a) it was an open box item- ie tags were cut, stickers removed when i got it, (b) it might be slightly too big for me according to their sizing test- ie I can insert a pinky above my forehead with it strapped on, and (c) since it was clearly "open box" already i decided to test it out just up/ down my street once and immediately noticed that the thing whistles like a boiling tea pot at 30+mph, which is probably why whoever bought it before returned it after using it.

i asked for a Medium in exchange, and hope this one is new and fits. I also contacted Scorpion and they said it shouldn't whistle and they will exchange it as a warranty defect if it does.
It whistles some but it isn't too loud or too high pitched. It doesn't really bother me.

Newmason

Well since I have been in Washington state the past 2 weeks for work, I have had the time to drop by the cycle gear shops out here, which are the tits by the way, you west coasters have it made with aftermarket and gear shops. I was able to try on the shoei rf-1000 and the rf-1100 and found a few things about them and a few things about my HJC cl-15. First off, I tried out my girlfriends small hjc cl-15 which fits snug and rode with it on the highway and guess what! No dragging of the head by the wind so my medium HJC helmet is going to have to go, as it isnt snug enough on my head. Now here is the fun part. I tried to put my knoggin in a small shoei rf-1000 and rf-1100 and there was no way of getting it off almost. It almost popped one of my contacts out of my eye. Tried on the medium in a shoei and OMG, greatest fit ever, it wasnt loose but wasnt overly snug like the small shoei. So the virdict is in, HJC's run a little bit bigger than the Shoei's and I find the shoei's run on the perfect size end of the spectrum. I guess thats what you are also paying for when you are looking at sticker cost! I wasnt able to buy either helmet out here on the west coast as I am sure I would have an absolute time trying to get through the airport with it. Thought I would have to wear it on the plane because I have a carry on and a laptop bag and delta seems to be dropping the righteous hammor on people with more than 2 bags!