Heating up

friendlyfriend

Whenever I turn off my bike, the temperature goes up and triggers the cooling fan at around 208. I live in San Francisco where it is usually relatively cold, say, in the 50s. I just wanted to know if this is normal. I'm not about to stand next to my bike every time I turn it off and wait for the fan to stop before taking the key out. I'm worried about what happens when outside temps go into the 80s and 90s.

MikeN02

I think it's pretty normal. My bike is still new, only about 1400 miles on it and it does it from time to time. Fan would go on when I turn off the bike but when I remove the key it turns off.

dannymac702

I have been stuck in rush hour traffic (1st. and 2nd. gears only) for several miles with temps over 110. Temp gague never got past 230. I always take the key out as soon as I shut the bike down so I didn't know the fan would run with engine off. PS- it is illegal to split lanes here.

Last edited:

MikeN02

I have been stuck in rush hour traffic (1st. and 2nd. gears only) for several miles with temps over 110. Temp gague never got past 230. I always take the key out as soon as I shut the bike down so I didn't know the fan would run with engine off. PS- it is illegal to split lanes here.
I do it too but sometimes I turn the engine off and leave the key in and I hear the fan.

Illegal here in FL too, I think the only place legal is california because they're traffic is horrible, same with the Ozone. Only do it in emergencies.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's normal. The fan kicks on to keep the engine cool when you are not moving fast enough for the airflow to keep things below temperature. But once you shut it down, the engine is no longer running and will cool down on its own (granted a little slower than when assisted with the fan). So there is no need to let the fan run once you shut the engine down, unless you like recharging or replacing batteries frequently. :rolleyes:

JonKerr

Elite Member

vitrox

realistically, the bike won't truly overheat until well into the high 200s/300s. I wouldn't worry about turning the key off, the bike keeps its temps below 240 on its own. turning it off it will heat soak, but still not go higher than 300. don't sweat it. :)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

Roaddawg

Whenever I turn off my bike, the temperature goes up and triggers the cooling fan at around 208. I live in San Francisco where it is usually relatively cold, say, in the 50s. I just wanted to know if this is normal. I'm not about to stand next to my bike every time I turn it off and wait for the fan to stop before taking the key out. I'm worried about what happens when outside temps go into the 80s and 90s.
Like everyone else said, its normal. If your just cruising around the city right before you shut down, your temps going to be up a little. I've been commuting into the City since last July and haven't had any issues....don't worry about it, its normal.

friendlyfriend

So I guess I won't worry about it, but if there's no danger at 208 degrees, then I wonder why they have the fan come on at that point.

Heineken

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Spunky99

I do it too but sometimes I turn the engine off and leave the key in and I hear the fan.

Illegal here in FL too, I think the only place legal is california because they're traffic is horrible, same with the Ozone. Only do it in emergencies.
I live in California and I do split lanes at stops. Nice and slow and if too tight, I stop and wait. I have noticed that people start yelling at me at least once a day for splitting lanes. I guess they don't know the laws and figure they have the right to tell me what I can and cannot do. We also can ride in the carpool lane on the freeway as a single rider and that is cool.

:noworries:

Roaddawg

I live in California and I do split lanes at stops. Nice and slow and if too tight, I stop and wait. I have noticed that people start yelling at me at least once a day for splitting lanes. I guess they don't know the laws and figure they have the right to tell me what I can and cannot do. We also can ride in the carpool lane on the freeway as a single rider and that is cool.

:noworries:
They just get pissed because they have to sit in traffic.....I just ignore them and giggle as I ride away.

skarface79

before and after power commander 5

now i just had a slip on and power commander 5 installed, before the changes my bike would reach 214 really quick and the fan would kick in, now with the upgrades the engine runs cooler while freeway driving but now when running streets and stops it reaches 214 and the fan does int go off, you guys know if the power commander may have anything to do with this or should i look into thermostat problems?

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member